1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown Lion Thread

Discussion in 'Lion' started by Chibitox, May 30, 2012.

1. AnimalStaccato

AnimalStaccato Well-Known Member

Use P strings (high, quick). 6P elbow is great (mid). 3K kick (long range mid). Add in some sweeps and keep attacking but not when you are at disadvantage. If any char gets a yellow hit or heavy looking move to hit you, stop and guard.

You can beat throws from -9 in this game. Not that that is much help against a crouch throw but still...

Also a nice frame trap is P then 6P.

DomAug likes this.
  2. MisterRadon

MisterRadon Member

PSN:
    MisterRadon
    XBL:
    MisterRadon
    ^Everything AnimalStaccato just said absolutely. Any player relying on throws for their damage is going to be greatly exposed by a simple poke game. Mixing up sweeps(when you have the advantage) with 6P is enough to make them have to think about poking you back instead of throwing.

Most Gohs I face online tend to do his 2-hit punch strings(not familiar enough with his movelist to tell you the commands but I think one is 3PP) to the point of abusing them, and while it's easy to defend, they like to use the block stun to set up a throw game. You can typically beat this by blocking the first hit and then going with a move that ducks like 1K or 2KK. You'll score a counter-hit, and you can squeeze in whatever you like as a float followup or set up your oki game. They probably can't throw you if you're pressuring them as they rise, and if your pressure is good enough, you can surprise them back with a throw to reset your wakeup tactics or put together a good combo with 336P+G or 46P+G.

If they're trying to trap you into blocking low with quick low pokes to score a crouch throw, anticipate and read the low attacks and jump them instead with 8K or 46K+G. Throw escaping tends to be one of the weaker parts of my game despite how much easier it is in FS than in previous VF games, and so I prefer to strike them out of throws to get momentum but identifying the favored throws of characters like Goh and Wolf and learning to break them helps out tremendously.

3. Izuna_Shoryuken

Izuna_Shoryuken Well-Known Member

does lion have a full spinning move that involves him well.. spinning with both arms out?

or am I just confusing this with 6/9 PKG>PK (l/r half spin)?

The reason I'm asking is that Chibita used this a lot on Fuudo at the LU exhibition as an Oki move. I can understand why he'd use the half spin because he'd have to guess L/R if he were to try and SS to dodge it. It's also -4 on block, guaranteeing nothing for either player, but it's a minor disadv so it could be used to bait (I guess).

4. MisterRadon

MisterRadon Member

PSN:
    MisterRadon
    XBL:
    MisterRadon
    Hi Izuna_Shoryuken! Could you maybe put a timestamp of when in the match video you saw it? I have a couple ideas of what you might be talking about, but if I could see it for sure I'm sure we could figure out what you're thinking of.

5. Izuna_Shoryuken

Izuna_Shoryuken Well-Known Member

6. AnimalStaccato

AnimalStaccato Well-Known Member

That move is 6PKG>6P It's semi circular and to evade it you have to go to the front, I.E. towards the half wall. Chibita guessed the direction Fuudo would go correctly but the move did not interrupt the roll. Dno what Chibita was thinking TBH cause the move wouldn't have interrupted a rising kick only a DM. I guess he was just keeping the pressure on. Shun probably doesn't have great options after a successful evade with no drinks and Chibita had loads of health so could afford the gamble.

7. NGKrush

NGKrush Well-Known Member

PSN:
    de_kroet
    XBL:
    de kroet
    what are the best ways to transition into lions stances? are there any situations where certain attacks in stance are uninterruptable, or are they mainly used for oki?

8. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

There's not much, maybe 4K(CH or not) but on ch it's better to just do followup and combo.
    4PP--> stance is interruptable by low P. You can condition the opponent to not reply with low P by backdashing after 4PP and punish their whiffed low P. Then maybe you can play 4PP--> stance mind games.
    PK (hit) --> stance = everything is interruptible besides stance P+K iirc.

It's really mainly for oki imo.

9. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

There generally aren't absolutely safe ways to transition into stance aside from what was mentioned, if that.

I use it when I believe my opponent is less sharp (or hesitating to respond), not looking for it (since its easily interruptible), or is distracted by pressure.

Basically have to create the opening with varying pressure and the threat of alternative options.

Similar to Jeffry's threat stance in that, on paper it should always get interrupted. But we apply options in a deeper context :)

steelbaz likes this.