1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 6

Discussion in 'General' started by EvenPit, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Ellis

Ellis Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ellis_Cake
    Stats, mechanics, improved possibilites to play with other people online,
    setting up tournaments, keeping in touch, arranging, keeping a sane flow in rooms,

all these are good things that can make actually fighting move along smoother and having an easier timing actually fighting other players.

Personally i could be without any kind of story mode in a fighting game,
    but i could deal with it being there if it brings on more players -> to bring in more precious dollars for sega -> to make it a financially solid option to increase support for VF.

But if people came to VF just because it had "awesome storymode graphics, cutscenes and movie-like explosions" - that is not the type of player i would envision enjoying what VF should stand for as a fighting game in the first place.

it is OK, if everyone does not enjoy everything. :)

Every game that tries to cather to everyone and their mother finally ends up watered down to the point where it is not the game it was meant to be in the first place.

2. celsowm

celsowm Well-Known Member

3. Project Bokuho

Project Bokuho Active Member

PSN:
    HelloMrBokiHoki
    XBL:
    Project Bokuho
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  4. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Agreed AM2/Sega should not try to cater to everyone and their mother. But they should try to cater to fight game fans. PReP there are many kinds of 'players who enjoy VF' And there are at least three major divisions of the fight game fans.

Group 1 is all about PvP offline preferably, online if necessary. Could careless about
    single player, cutscenes 'movie-like explosions etc.

Group 2 enjoys single player, playing against a good AI CPU, enjoys story mode, single player modes, tag. survival mode, cutscenes, fight character galleries, customizations, etc and plays PvP from time to time online mostly because offline scene is just not there. Group 2 could actually go without PvP
    and would prefer more deeper single player experience if they had to choose.

Group 3 is a hybrid of Group1 and 2. They enjoy both single player and PvP more or
    less the same.

PReP many, many new players start out in Group 2, and then might move to Group 1 or Group 3 or elect to stay in Group 2. When the game first drops believe or not Group 2 is the largest among the customers.

IMO Sega/AM2 should cater to all three of these groups. Group 1 is not a large enough market to sustain VF or any other fighting game. For the Virtua Fighter series to grow Sega needs to take the wish list of both Group 1 and Group 2 very seriously when they are considering what would go into any future release of Virtua Fighter.

Project Bokuho and aoi ameindei like this.
  5. BinDiesel

BinDiesel Member

I think one of Sega's biggest mistakes with VF was ignoring kids. I'll never quit Tekken or SF because of those childhood memories. But VF was too boring and hard to get into until I was in my 20's...

If I was trying to save VF I wouldn't call the next one VF6. Reboot the series - keep the gameplay but improve the tutorials, flesh out the characters and story, and a little marketing wouldn't hurt either. That's my 2 cents :)

6. oneida

oneida Long Arm of the Lau Silver Supporter

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    Virtua Fighter Alpha

7. S_KILL

S_KILL Well-Known Member

XBL:
    S KILL GR
    Its almost May. Where's the big announcement?

8. BeastEG

BeastEG Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BeastyEG
    I have stated this multiple times but tools that can help you identify your primary weaknesses so you can go practice them in the dojo would help immensely.

Also, there need to be better replay options in terms of watching and analyzing a replay itself.

9. nou

nou Well-Known Member

VF is one of the easiest series to play, just not easy to win at. VF4 tutorial explained almost everything short of frame data, but even that was broken down in an easily digestible way.

It's just that people don't want to learn the mechanics because of aesthetics.

Gouki_Hinogami likes this.
  10. Happy_Friend

Happy_Friend Well-Known Member

I think the best hope would be for some kind of VF Reboot... Design-wise they are so screwed... I have played EVo and VF3 in recent months and since then I haven't even touched FT. There is a corporate logic to game sequels: More Characters! More Moves! Shiny New Things! The essence of VF did not need this... The center did not hold. Now it seems the foundation is spamming/property magic moves/low punching/back dashing instead of 50/50 guess. I oversimplify, but not by much.

11. senbon

senbon New Member

VF4 had 10th anniversary memory of a decade. Why not VF2 polys for the 20th anniversary, VF6?

Tumbling Dice likes this.
  12. Kanura

Kanura Active Member

VF5 and VF5 FS are so threadbare in their presentation as to be almost skeletal. Its odd that a game that allows you to customize costumes for the characters offers so little in terms of modes and extras. Special Sparring and Licence Mode are good, but the lack of Quest Mode, and Survival and Time Attack (seriously, if you have a Score Attack, might as well have Time Attack) is odd. On top of that. there's not even subtitles for Akira, Shun, Pai, Lau, Jean, Goh, and Lei's dialogue.

It also feels cheap that completing the arcade mode only has one ending, when even a short one picture and some text for each character might be nice. Things like that add replay value and make the game feel fuller as an experience.

I've always liked Soul Calibur's exhibition mode and feel that VF, with its fluidity and grace, would benefit alot from such a mode, its also a neat way to show players the character's moves.

Gouki_Hinogami likes this.
  13. Devdan

Devdan Well-Known Member

PSN:
    WrysWendellBoah
    XBL:
    WrysWendellBoah
    If I remember right, in the arcade version score attack mode has tables for both time and score. Not really relevant to the home version, but...it was something.

One recent trend I don't get is removing attract mode from the home version. That's where the score tables were. 3SO did it too. Now there are no arcade mode score tables. They were essentially pointless, but it was still kind of nice to have a goal of some kind in single player.

I understand Sega not wanting the home version to have knock-out trial because it would take away from arcade revenue, but they need to find a better alternative in the future. Special Sparring is basically just a less interesting knock-out trial, which was basically a less interesting quest mode. We also didn't get the SUPER IMPOSSIBLY HARD AI that I THINK were based on real players? I can't really read Japanese, so I'm not sure what the 'special' area was, I just know two tries was all I needed to decide it was a waste of money.

Subtitles would be nice I guess. I just hope they're better than DOA5's. MADAMADA does not mean 'not even close', and if it does my Japanese is even worse than I thought. Every match I won was by a hair, so seeing that was always kind of embarrassing...

14. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

This is what I'm wondering. Did anything ever come from Sega for the anniversary other than a youtube video of VF1's intro?

Kanura and Gouki_Hinogami like this.
  15. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

Though I would love it sooner than later, VF5FS is still superb and would suffice for another year or two. I would love me some single player content. I am not sure why the console-port dev simply adds em in. I could care less about and entire story mode . Injustice's story mode so stupid/cheesy, that I wouldn't play it in front of my friends, Tekken and SF's are much worse.MK9's is decent. They don't have to go with story mode.An intro, an ending per each character would do good for me.

What VF needs in my opinion is another VF4Evo's Quest mode, Hyper Fighting and the likes were extremely fun.

Fingers crossed for TGS reveal.

16. Tony as lei fei

Tony as lei fei New Member

How do you know that VF6 is in the making?

17. Tony as lei fei

Tony as lei fei New Member

Two years later nope :(

18. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I was prob referencing some old post from someone else. Forgot the source. I'm sure someone around here knows. Or I was just talking out of faith.

19. nou

nou Well-Known Member

They had a job posting related to the VF series. I'm not expecting VF6 anytime soon and I'm happy with what's out, BUT I'd be more than happy with an on disc HD collection if we never do get VF6.

20. Dragonps

Dragonps Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ENGDragon83
    XBL:
    ENGDragon83
    Not been on the site for a while, although I do check in every so often for news and tournaments etc. I really am hoping VF6 comes along sometime soon but then looking at Sega's new arcade hardware would it be powerful enough to warrant such a game?

As someone quiet rightly stated VF is Sega's tech demo and has always been a cut above the rest technically and graphically at the time of it's release. I doubt very mush that Sega would entertain the idea of a straight to console release hence why my attention was toward the arcade hardware.

I've been having loads of fun with VF5FS recently creating Streets Of Rage costumes for Jacky and akira. There is an abundance of single player modes however that customization just keeps bringing me back. Jacky must have around 57 costumes now :p