1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter vs Dead or Alive discussion thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Blackula, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Blackula

Blackula Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Blackula1981
    XBL:
    BlackulaReturns
    Well, Team Ninja with DOA5 did something that was completely unexpected. They added the VF characters into DOA5. This was a very historic moment as I've seen characters from two of my favorite fighting game series in the same game for the first time. Hopefully, it won't be the last time. That is why I am creating this thread.

Team Ninja showed us that the VF characters work extremely well together with the DOA characters in the DOA system. However, I still would like to see the opposite. I would love to see how well the DOA characters work in a VF system. Though instead of just adding a few characters from DOA to the next VF game (since we don't know when that will be), I would rather just go ahead and see the full crossover game VF vs DOA.

Keep in mind that in a crossover game, that it is one developer who makes the game obtaining licenses from the other team for use of their characters, etc.

I would like to get everyone's opinion's on this. Feel free to post up your thoughts, concerns, any ideas you would have for such a project as this.

----------------------------------------------------------

I created this thread both on here and on Free Step Dodge so I could get both communities talking. To see what the guys over at FSD are saying, please visit this thread.

http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/virtua-fighter-vs-dead-or-alive-discussion-thread.2609/

FakeSypha and Alexandre XI like this.
  2. Blackula

PSN:
    Blackula1981
    XBL:
    BlackulaReturns
    My wishes for it though would Sega AM2 be the developer for this game. Also that it would use the VF system but the DOA style environments, stages, and flair. One thing that many people have recognized that in VF, if you don't know what's going on, it can look kinda boring. Fun to play yet boring to watch. And while DOA has the flash, the system isn't as solid as the VF system. So why not take the best of both worlds and marry them?

3. Virtua Kazama

Virtua Kazama Well-Known Member

PSN:
    VirtuaKazama
    XBL:
    Virtua Kazama
    I mean we can always go with the "Fighters Megamix" route, have two different systems.

Shadowdean and Blackula like this.
  4. Blackula

PSN:
    Blackula1981
    XBL:
    BlackulaReturns
    That's something that I've thought about too, but then you have the issue of which system to use during tournaments.

5. THTB

THTB New Member

If they went the Megamix route, then you'd be able to run 2 different tournaments for each system, and possibly add a system that mixes the better elements of each game. That would essentially give you 3 different games in one whole package, which is 3 more potential games to play at a tournament. :)

Btw, hi guys...kinda new here lol. I used to lurk around during the vanilla VF5 days on occasion, but yeah.

6. Chibiaya

Chibiaya Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    if am2 did it...okay...

Pai~Chun likes this.
  7. SGX

SGX Member

That, and they did away with the DOA counter system.

Pai~Chun likes this.
  8. Blackula

PSN:
    Blackula1981
    XBL:
    BlackulaReturns
    Well, as my personal suggestion stated, AM2 would be the developer and would be using the VF system. DOA would be providing the environments, stages, etc.

9. Alexandre XI

Alexandre XI New Member

I'm all for it. I think though it should be a mix of both DOA + VF engine and stages. While VF's system mechanics are more superior competitively it would just be DOA characters in a VF game like with DOA5. I'd propose it uses most VF engine; tweak/tone down the stuns for the DOA characters, give them actual natural combo's. Keep the DOA counters because there are characters in VF who already have them (just don't allow players to hold out of them), just use the VF startup/active/recovery frames for counters. Use VF style sidestepping, and wake up system of VF (Well the wake up system is practically the same in both games already, DOA's wake up kicks just have more invincibility frames that should be toned down). EX highs should be able to beat low counters.

and I guess... TN can do all the stages, character designs... AM2 can do the netcode/online and can be in charge of DLC, and character customization LOL

10. Virtua Kazama

PSN:
    VirtuaKazama
    XBL:
    Virtua Kazama
    ...You're right. Damn.

11. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    I'm against it, as it could potentially take players away from core VF, and generally weaken the trusted, 20 year strong brand name. DOA was always a party game, filled with comedy erotica, let's leave it at that. The people who keep trying to play it seriously may as well stick with SEGA if they prefer 3 buttons to 4.

If we're having some great big lul-fest clash of franchises (no doubt bloated with desperate and greedy dlc, like SFxT was), I would prefer to go after the Namco people frankly. Tecmo is still very much the 3rd wheel softco in that sense. If they put a snake-style woman in VF6, I would literally forget DOA even exists.

12. Zekiel

Zekiel Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zekiel-_
    Doa X VF not the other way around. Team ninja could do more with the game. like a positive story mode for all the characters. With am2 developing it, it'll take away from the Doa characters being in a game with no story and just fighting.... ldk. Since Doa started it they should finish it.

13. Blackula

PSN:
    Blackula1981
    XBL:
    BlackulaReturns
    Original post edited with the Free Step Dodge thread. Please visit it and read the comments there as well.

14. Virtua Kazama

PSN:
    VirtuaKazama
    XBL:
    Virtua Kazama
    I mentioned this on FSD, but I am willing to share my thoughts on what the roster should look like:

Virtua Fighter
    Akira Yuki
    Pai Chan
    Lau Chan
    Wolf Hawkfield
    Jeffry McWild
    Kage-Maru
    Sarah Bryant
    Jacky Bryant
    Shun-Di
    Lion Rafale
    Aoi Umenokouji
    Taka-Arashi
    Lei-Fei
    Vanessa Lewis
    Brad Burns
    Goh Hinogami
    Eileen
    El Blaze
    Jean Kujo
    Dural

Dead or Alive (This is gonna be a tough choice)
    Kasumi
    Ryu Hayabusa
    Gen Fu
    Tina Armstrong
    Bass Armstrong
    Zack
    Jann Lee
    Leifang
    Ayane
    Bayman
    Leon
    Helena Douglas
    Hitomi
    Christie
    Kokoro
    Brad Wong
    Lisa (La Mariposa)
    Mila
    Rig
    Alpha-152

Also, I would like to put Siba and Hayate in as unlockable characters. (forgot to put that down)

15. Blackula

PSN:
    Blackula1981
    XBL:
    BlackulaReturns
    How would it take away from the "core VF" if AM2 is the one making the game?

We've seen how the VF characters work in a DOA system. Why not the other way around?

16. jinxhand

jinxhand Well-Known Member

There would have to be a set standard as to what system to use. Megamix was a fun game, but both fighting systems split separated both scenes even more so than they were before for obvious reasons.

If this game were to become a reality, the system would have to be something that would blend the two together somewhat, like KOF98's system allowing you to play like 94-95 or with 96-97's system.

Honestly, if the DOA characters simply had reversals like in VF (ie - 4P+K, 1P+K, 2P+K), they would be fine imo. The frame window would be a bit more strict and less "spammable" than in DOA, but outside of casuals and maybe 1 or 2 pro players, you don't often see holds being overly used or spammed out with the exception of maybe using it to shorten a hitbox to avoid a specific move (rare). The damage output would be slightly more than that of VF's regular damage output, seeing as outside of ninjas, Jann Lee, Gen Fu, and Zack, I don't think anyone else's combo damage output is that great, but then I haven't played DOA5 yet, so I'm going on 3.1 data still (I know right??)...

Just another idea, but if the game were to hit arcades, one would be allowed to select either the VF or DOA playstyle, which would only be 1 button in difference, and that one button wold be a simple macro of P+K to allow for "holds" to be executed perhaps; OR they can just simply have the 3 button layout like normal and learn to press 2 buttons and a direction to hold...

Team Ninja should only be responsible for assisting in the flair department, and helping SEGA flesh out a friggin' story to attract those who play games for the story. I'm pretty sure Team Ninja could help SEGA out with consistency in dlc items and costumes and such. They seem to be on point when it comes to things like that anyway. Plus Team Ninja also seems to be on point when it comes to consistently speaking and listening to the community, and then acting on feedback both positive and negative.

Blackula likes this.
  17. FakeSypha

FakeSypha Active Member

PSN:
    FakeSypha
    Hey Blackula! Nice thread here and at FSD :p

I actually didn't like how the VF characters are played at DOA5. I somewhat play a very scrubby Sarah in VF5FS (as a third option, behind Vane and Goh), and I didn't like how DOA's stun system feels playing with her. So I just kept maining Christie as I did in DOA4, lol.

I'd like the idea, but only if AM2 is in full charge of the gameplay aspects. I don't want to deal with holds, or that stun system, or the awful frame data DOA has. So yeah, several stuff needed to be changed from DOA characters in order to adapt to VF engine.

I'll get a bit offtopic here, but I read often in FSD how 'bad' are some things from DOA5, and then they go praise VF5FS... why don't they jump boats and dedicate to play VF instead of DOA. Both communities are rather small. Both have pretty much a 'dead' online (compared to popular fighting games, at least). No need to reply this last paragraph.

Pai~Chun likes this.
  18. nou

nou Well-Known Member

I hope VF doesn't take a note from TN on items. That shit is a rip in comparison to VF items.

Kinda on and off about the stages. I really like DOA stages but at the same time it adds to down-time, where VF barely has any. I'm either way on this one.

19. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    They won't be dude, dream on. DOA is a light-user homage to VF, not the other way round.

All I'm seeing so far is some baseless hyperbole from TN, and a forum full of DOA guys upset that their new game had to be patched to high heaven once VF cast members entered it.

If SEGA themselves issue a statement, I'll re-evaluate the situation. I would much prefer they focus their efforts on VF6 though, perhaps incorporating vivid characters from some of their older, cherished titles. A lot of the DOA designs seem horribly generic but at least the game doesn't have such an absurd and demeaning focus on "breast-physics" anymore... oh wait :oops:

20. Blackula

PSN:
    Blackula1981
    XBL:
    BlackulaReturns
    Can't win them all.