1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtual Fighter 4

Discussion in 'General' started by kiko17, Mar 22, 2016.

1. kiko17

kiko17 Member

Hi, I am brand new to virtua fighter. I played some other fighting games before and I play smash a lot. But something drew me to virtua fighter. I have a wii u and a ps2 but not a xbox 360 or ps3. Is VF4 a good game to get introduced to the series? Or should I wait and save money for VF5.

2. Stl_Tim

Stl_Tim Well-Known Member

Stay far away from VF5 series and purchase VF4 Evolution for the ps2. It has an amazing resource for enjoying and learning true VF.
    Cheers

coolforever and Ares-olimpico like this.
  3. kiko17

kiko17 Member

Thanks, i 've heard vf4 evolution is the pinnacle of the series. What did they change in vf5 that strayed away from the essence of the series.

Ares-olimpico likes this.
  4. Stl_Tim

Stl_Tim Well-Known Member

Here is a short list that I consider very relevant to the changes you wish to know. After reading this, understand I come from the vf4 generation and this cycle might be similar to vf3 style players thinking the same way towards their iteration.

P<counter hit guaranteed throw is gone. This insured light weights power as a threat in the game seeing as they have faster executable punches. It made every weight class pay attention to hit checking. Keeping weight class threat is very important for EVERY character.

Ducking opponents can't be staggered any more by mids unless your a select few, but that isn't even applicable at small advantage since these moves are bigger to execute. Now, they can flail w/o regret unless a hard guess is created to ch them.

In general a lot of moves on block have low to no accountability for doing them, so imo it teaches the opposite of what vf was intended to teach, awareness of your actions. Vf5 teaches us, "Here are multiple ways out of disadvantage!" This creates a sense of freedom imho and not skill to preform certain defensive actions to survive.

Throw escape system is lethargic. You just hold p+g and pick 1 direction at a 33% chance. Vf4 as you will find out is more challenging and satisfying skill set with the chance of wrong input mashing to screw it up.

All in all, vf5 was intended for a non-traditional vf audience trying to appeal to the 2d/whiff based/hard guess type. Very similar to sf/tekken so to speak.

Having said that, each to their own pile of happiness, but I for one expected something stronger from sega in the 5 series. What I got was a company catering to its current audience. I guess I can't hate on that business model. After all, sega dosent appear to be in it for the fan anymore?!

My conclusion if you choose this path? Stick to the 4 series and let the built in vf4evo tutorial be the judge to your decision. I'm sure you will see a night and day difference.

Cheers

5. kiko17

kiko17 Member

Wow this game is crazy deep. I have played other fighting games but this game feel completely different. Do you think I should invest in an arcade stick? If so, what do you recommend?

6. Marlow

Marlow Active Member

PSN:
    Redwin6411
    XBL:
    Marlow0822
    So if I want a ported VF4 (or any VF, at this point) for PS4, who would I need to petition to get this done? Would this be a SEGA thing, or a Sony thing, or both?

7. steelbaz

steelbaz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Raze--
    XBL:
    spliffy baz
    Games need PC ports not PS4 ports.

oneida likes this.
  8. oneida

oneida Long Arm of the Lau Silver Supporter

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    some people play on PS2 pad but i can't personally, i find that too difficult. for a stick, you can mod a stick to work on PS2 with PS360+ etc... I just use the PS2 VF4 stick, they're easy to find on eBay for $30-$50 and the stock parts are fine. i even used one with a PS3 adapter in tournament at Canada Cup last year. looks like this.

[​IMG]

here is an eBay listing for one.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Virtua-Figh...845177?hash=item2105e57779:g:DFAAAOSwnGJWToVi

this one even ships from USA which is a plus.

steelbaz likes this.
  9. kiko17

kiko17 Member

I wondered how good the vf4 sticks were. I mainly play vf4 evo on the ps2 and I have a tekken 10 anniversary stick and a newly acquired namco ps1 stick. I will have to check out the virtua fighter stick.

10. coolforever

coolforever Member

This this this. VF4 Evolution is absolutely AMAZING.

RawrCookie likes this.