1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Which method is the best for recording? PC/MAC

Discussion in 'Help' started by Dobi, May 6, 2008.

1. Dobi

Dobi Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience in this at all and need help quickly. Which is the best software(s) to create/edit clips. It can be either PC or MAC. What are the specs of the file should I make it to in order the quality isn't lost much and I can place it on a DVD at the same time.

I'm also trying to create those picture-in-picture clips, like those clips in Japanese VF DVD Matches. Has anyone have experienced with this?

Thanks.

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I've only had experience with PC.

Recording is fairly easy provided your source has an output that can be recognised natively by your PC. An example includes DV Cam output over firewire or usb 2.0.

If your source does not have this capability, then you'll have to capture a video (analog/digital) signal. Unless your video card has video-in capability, you'll need a 3rd party card or device to interface the video signal to your PC. For recommendations on such devices, read the "best video capture card" thread in this forum.

In terms of software, on PCs with Windows XP (or later) installed, you should have access to the free Windows Movie Maker program, otherwise you can download it from the microsoft site. It's very easy to use to both capture and edit your video(s). You cannot do picture-in-picture (PIP) though.

For PIP, I'm not aware of any free/shareware programs that provide that functionality, so you may be restricted to commercial software for this. Adobe Premier Pro (http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/) can do PIP, a much more when it comes to editing. It can also handle the capturing too.

For more advanced editing, there's Adobe After Effects (http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/) which is certainly capable of doing PIP and much, much more. But it isn't as simple or straightforward to use as it's mainly aimed at amateur/professional video post-production.

3. Darkfrog

Darkfrog Member

I have recorded countless upon countless GB of game tournaments (not VF, mind you) with my PC.
    I use an TV tuner, and hook it up to the TV through a scart hub. It works like a charm and gives awsome quality.

For PIP, i use Cyberlink PowerDirector 5.0. Its not initialy free, but it is a very sweet editing program with lots and lots of options, and not as unstable as Windows Movie Maker and Pinnacle Studio 9, which are both very much used. I have very bad experience with them both, hehe.

4. Dobi

Dobi Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll look into it. I already have the capture part taken care of. It's just the editing now.

5. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

For the editing part I'd really get Pinnacle Studio 11 if you haven't done so already. It's easy-to-use, offers a good selection of options, and it runs stable (unlike its predecessors).

6. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Mind giving us the name and model of the tv tuner card?

Also, any other options than windows movie maker because I have extreme MICROSOFTdifficulties getting the MICROSOFTproduct.

After going through several yes-prompts and installing activeX-components Id rather not install into IE (ofc cant use anything else) microsoft update just says that theres an error and page cannot be displayed... fun..

Why the fuck I cant just DL the program..