1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you play with Lion?

Discussion in 'Lion' started by keensab, Feb 6, 2007.

1. keensab

keensab Member

Where are all the Lion players at?

I started playing vf:evo about 3 years ago and instantly gravitated towards Lion's bravado. The fact the he can annoy opponents even before the match starts only adds to his effectiveness.

His style is conducive to both constant flurries that never end, or hit and run tactics.

What about you guys?

2. 001

001 Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

i started playing lion because his command list was the only one i could go through perfectly when i first started training in evo. :p

3. ETPharaoh

ETPharaoh Well-Known Member

I started playing VF when VF2 came out, picked Lion as my character and have played pretty much exclusively with Lion since then. Has it really been over 10 years now? At any rate... Why Lion? Two reasons.

1. Praying Mantis kung fu. I've taken mantis (albeit Southern mantis as opposed to Lion's Northern) from one of the few remaining genuine masters: http://masterginfoonmark.com/ ). I greatly respect mantis and its effectivity.

2. Lion, from what I was told and can recall, was rated the worst character in VF2. Part of my fighting games philosophy is to take a character who is generally regarded to be weak and bring him to a point where he can compete and defeat the "top tier" characters with style. I can remember when I started playing VF2 people were telling me to pick Jacky because he was relatively "easy" to learn/compete with. My response to that? "Fuck that."

What puzzles me is how Lion managed to reverse the vocal changes that occur during puberty. He voice was deeper and sounded far less silly in VF2. Fast forward to VF3,4,5... Did his father castrate him for losing one of the tourneys?

4. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

Ive been using Lion since I started, I think most people who play vf end up using the first character that they learned. I like Lion as he seems to have several option in each given situation. When I play with some other characters I feel limited in comparison, although this maybe because I do not have as much knowledge with other characters as I do with Lion. His full circular attacks are one of his strongest attributes and although he can annoy the other player b4 the match has started, I find he annoys the hell out of me even more. Hes even more of a dick in vf5. going slightly off topic here but why the hell does Lion-a poking character, have a slow crappy low jab? What the hells that all about? I hope thats fixed in vf5.

5. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Because the fucker doesn't deserve it.

6. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

Classic Lion-hating! I see from the frame data that it hasnt been sorted out so hes stuck with a jab that gets beaten by a yoho (well it seems that way sometimes).

7. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Well, I was being sarcastic. Maybe bending down for him is tough due to the fact he is a bi-curious spoiled brat with a gold-plated, diamond studded dildo collection.

(btw, I'm Not bashing, I think Lion is a cool character, but want to piss off lion fans just 'cause)
    -----

Isn't his movelist versatile enough that having it wouldn't change much?

8. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

His slow LP is offset by the fact that it also has a slightly longer reach than anyone elses, at least that's what I remember from VF4.

9. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

I pick Lion only in those once-in-a-blue-days when I feel gay.

10. Renzo

Renzo Well-Known Member

since this thread is the only really active one in the Lion forum...

What attacks are best for mC punishing? Such as blocking Eileen's shoulder? (-15)

4KP? Or just jab punish?

11. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    Lion's K,K is a good punisher. As his standing K is 13 frames.

12. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Not anymore \o/

13. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Lion's K,K is 14frames now /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
    Hoppefully it can still be used to punish delayed rising attacks.

14. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Delayed rising attacks seems to be -15 generally.

15. Jide

PSN:
    Blatant
    well at -15 it still punishes...

So not a problem really. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

16. ElectricLeo

ElectricLeo Well-Known Member

P,K,P is quite versatile, I find.

17. Jide

PSN:
    Blatant
    It seems a to be a combo ender for his Upper and bb+k combos from what I've seen in clips. Allows him to keep the pressure on okizeme too

18. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

I like his high deflect move. The one where he gives his opponent the finger. I call it the "bird-flipper".
    His low deflect is not as cool because it's not as bold. I call it "hidden-finger".
    If it could fit in the quote box, his quote should be:
    "Eenie-meenie, mynie-moe, I wonder where my finger will go?"

19. Renzo

Renzo Well-Known Member

ah, yeah I forgot to mention K,K...

What's guaranteed on mC now with him that wasn't before? List?

And is it me, or does 6P,P combo on CH now?

20. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

When VF3tb was released on Dreamcast, I decided to randomly choose a character that I would commit to. It happened to be Lion.

Fortunately, it worked out for me. I really enjoy playing Lion the most. I tend to enjoy poking, zoning, and okizeme a lot so it works out well I think.

However, I personally think that Aoi might be the best fit for me in terms of how I play VF these days and the options I like having. But again, Lion is the one I enjoy playing the most so far and I mainly stick with him.