1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you play with Lion?

Discussion in 'Lion' started by keensab, Feb 6, 2007.

1. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    It's actually 20f. And if it's blocked it's -21. It's a decent sidestep punish, but a dangerous game to play trying to use it as a mixup from small advantage which is what i assume we're still talking about.
    A mid/low mixup is something like Lau's [1][P] string, where he can end with a mid for advantage or a low that staggers (both linear). There aren't many mid/low mixups in VF as far as i'm concerned and what we're talking about is not one of them.

2. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    This is a british understatement thing, isn't it? Like saying "the weather in Wales is not terrifically pleasant"? I'm asking because IIRC Lion's sweep is the least safe in the game. In fact it is so unsafe its block frames are longer than it's execution frames [​IMG]

Is it good? You bet it is! Knocking down on normal hit and being full-circular bumps it ahead of half the cast. It's more fast but more unsafe than other sweeps.

On a casual level, with a faster execution speed Lion's opponents will have less time to react, block and punish. But then again, with Lion lacking fast mid launchers, an opponent who feels confident about their unstagger skills will block low more often. I won't go as far as saying that it "balances out", but fighting against somebody who punishes correctly Lion's -21 hurts.

You know what's hard to punish? Moves with followups. But a sweep with followups? Surely there's no such nonsense in VF5 [​IMG]

...am i doing the understatement thing right? Or is this sarcasm? I keep confusing those two [​IMG]

3. AnimalStaccato

AnimalStaccato Well-Known Member

All I'm saying is theres a time to use the sweep and its decent cause it knocks the guy down and then give u oki options, it also goes under highs and takes out ppl who evade.
    Lets say u do 2p and it hits, brilliant. If it hits they get knocked down, fantastic. If it blocks and theyre a good player, ur fucked and u dont use it again. Say it did hit then perhaps next time 2p hits and this time they duck expecting a sweep. This time u perhaps use 2_6p+k which pushes them back even if they block it, then u instantaneously go for like 3k.

It works if you want to take a pressure/mindgame approach and the opponent is on edge.

I'm not saying I'd necessarily do this now cause I can't remember half the stuff I'd follow it up with but I used to do stuff like this 2 yrs ago and I had decent success with it.

4. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Lion can also be launched after a blocked sweep.

5. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    It simply doesn't work like that without the lag factor. What you'll see after a 2p on hit from a good player is a fuzzy guard. It's unlikely they'll commit to anything else and just as unlikely of them not spotting and blocking the sweep since they didn't commit. For the sweep to come into effect you'd need CH 2p, or get me confident you're going to do a linear move or delayed throw, as that might actually get your opponent to ETEG rather than or straight after the preferred option of fuzzy guard.

[​IMG]

6. AnimalStaccato

AnimalStaccato Well-Known Member

Technically speaking Marly, you are correct. If the guy is calm and such then he would prob block it. If he's agitated and you have him on the run then it just might work. It's not something I would recommend as a staple of a play style but something I always thought about VF was that randomness could be a very powerful tool. Bust it out every so often and you just might catch your opponent off guard.

7. DomAug

DomAug dom Content Manager Lion Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    domaug
    i almost never overuse it, especially against higher-ranked AI. it's one of those "gotcha" moments. i may try it once or twice in a match, but more often against my brothers, because at certain points in the match they get so mad against Lion that they try to launch him and go into a combo, only to realize that i hit them with the sweep as they try to start something, making them more angry. [​IMG]

i completely agree with Marlyjay though. it's not as effective as i made it sound, especially when the 2P is blocked. i would only suggest using it against someone who you've been confusing the entire match with actual mix-ups and poking.

8. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I have a "gotcha moment" when I use Brad. Basically you get your opponent in a clinch. If he doesn't know how to defend against the knees you've won.

Gotcha!

9. DomAug

PSN:
    domaug
    yeah i HATE facing a Brad who knows what the hell he's doing LOL

good thing the AI in VF5 for Brad isn't as sneaky and destructive as he can be, or maybe that's just me

10. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    [​IMG] I was talking entirely about 2p on normal hit. Sweeping after 2p is blocked? Unless your opponent is in the habit of sidestepping after blocking 2p i can't think of a better way of getting yourself staggered/launched. [​IMG] [6] [P] isn't a bad move to abare at times though.

11. DomAug

PSN:
    domaug
    well thanks for the advice anyway [​IMG]

another thing i'm integrating into my normal means of attack is [8][K]. it seems to catch my opponents off-guard whenever they try to do a low kick while getting up. if timed right, it should hit them every time. [​IMG]

12. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    [8][K] will (i) beat low rising attacks due to its jumping properties (ii) crush mid rising attacks due to its 21 damage. It has 4 active frames so that helps get the timing right [​IMG]

Its followup [8][K][K] ALSO does more than 20 damage meaning that (iii) even if the Lion player times his [8][K] wrong, they can always hit that second [K] and hope for the best [​IMG]