1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Win Streak - My first coding project dedicated to VFDC & VF5FS

Discussion in 'General' started by Rodnutz, Jul 29, 2015.

?

Will you use Win Streak?

1. Yes I will use it.

2. Maybe... When it gets better?

3. No I don't plan to use it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    Hey Everyone,

I am doing my best to learn how to code and I wanted to share my first project with you all. For those of you who still play FS you may find this very useful. However for the shout-box warriors who do not play and only come here to talk you may see this as a pointless gesture for a game that’s pretty much dead. Whether you guys use it or not this is what I am working on and it will be used as the foundation to help bring my coding skills up to an intermediate level. Currently I consider myself to be lower than a beginner. :(

So what is Win Streak? Well it’s exactly what it sounds like. A ‘ Versus ‘ counter recorder that keeps track of your win streaks or in other words how many times you win in a row. Yeah that definition is subject to change lol. The idea to make it came to me about a month ago and I’ve been working on it very hard since then. @Denkai had been pushing me a bit without knowing it saying things to me like “ You should get this done in time for NYG! ”. Well it’s done before NYG and I am really proud of myself considering I only know the basics of coding. Well that’s not all true! I dabbled a little in the past but nothing like how I am into it now. In regards to support I also gotta give my boy @adamYUKI a shout out because he was right there with Denkai pushing me forward. It's hard to keep this up when you are going the ‘ Self Taught ‘ route so to not give into frustration or quit early I decided to work on or in this case ‘ work for ‘ something I really cared about. So you don't have to guess I want you guys to know that I care about VFDC and all of it’s members deeply and here is my proof.

Now let me share with you how it works and then explain to you it’s limitations and my plans to make it better. Below I will post a few photos showing step by step instructions on how to use the site I created. At the moment the site is only ‘ somewhat ‘ mobile friendly and I use somewhat very loosely. The site was built with the intentions of ONLY being accessed from a cell phone. I wanted it to be a tool you could keep close to you while you played instead of always having to get up and run to your desktop computer.

Instructions:

First input your name and your opponent's into the ' Name ' text fields.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you can't type when the keyboard comes up just select the input area in the imagine. That should get your keyboard working.

[​IMG]

You may or may not have to select the done button to hide the keyboard. :(

[​IMG]

Now for the fun part. Whomever wins just select the winner button for that person. Yay 25 in a row. Myke you suck!

[​IMG]

That's pretty much it for now in terms of functionality. While it's very simple I hope that it can be used to help make you all better. Perhaps once you start seeing how much a person is kicking your ass it will fire you up to try harder or try new things. Anyway if you decide to test your might against someone else simply entering a new name in any of the fields will reset the counter.

You can visit the site by clicking this link from your smartphone!

WARNING: If you are using a smartphone with a small screen like an iPhone 4 for example I’m sure everything is going to look hella broken. My sincere apologies and I promise to fix that for you in due time. If you only have a phone with a small screen then I can only suggest accessing the site from a tablet, laptop, Chromebook or desktop. Once I get better at coding I will make the site more ‘ Responsive ‘ and add more functionality. So for now I can only recommend accessing it from a current smartphone. The view will a bit differ quite for everyone, but it’s the best I can do for now with the little skill that I have. I have an iPhone 6 so I used the screen dimensions from that as my foundation. Normally in regards to the web developers would build down from an actual website, but with smartphones being the number tool to access most websites I felt I should go the opposite route and build up from a mobile viewpoint.

Goals to make this better:

Although this was created with VF in mind I plan to do whatever it takes to keep this universal. I want this to be used by everyone who may play a game where they can't keep score. For example those guys in your local park playing chess. They are probably just keeping score in their heads or on paper but wouldn't it be cool if they had something like this?

In regards to functionality I have tons of ideas and I'll list just a few of them below.

1) An option to do ' First to 5, 10, 15, 20 " etc
    2) Responsive functionality across all types of devices with more options showing up depending on the device you are on.
    3) Display total games played
    4) Display Win / Loss percentage
    5) Tweet your results
    6) Post to Facebook wall

These are just a few of the things I'd like to add. Of course it's going to take some time, but like I said this is a project. For those who are feeling this and would like to help me you can do a few things.

First you can provide constructive criticism in one of three ways. One, put your keyboard to use and let me know what you think of Win Streak. Two, you can post screen shots of what's broken or doesn't look right on your device so I can do my best to fix as I move forward. You can also post screen shots of you kicking someone's ass real good, because I'd really love to see that. But please be honest about how well you did against someone to avoid pointless flame wars. To the mods; COULD YOU PLEASE HELP TO ENSURE THIS THREAD DOESN'T GET DERAILED. I want this to be fun so please do not turn this into rubbish in under a week like every other thread that goes up on VFDC.

Lastly number three! To really help me out I'd appreciate it if you all could check out and follow my new Blog, Twitter and my Facebook page. This is a new Facebook account for new beginnings so feel free to send friend requests as well :D. My new blog doesn't have much content at the moment but I really think you guys will like it and the things I planned to talk about moving forward. Check it fairly often as I plan to make frequent posts. There will be some game related posts but we are approaching 2016 so shit is gonna be real lol. I'm planning to open some doors, but I have no idea exactly which door I'll open.

I'm really trying to move my life into a totally new direction and I'm hoping that my VFDC brother and sisters is willing to support the transition by showing me some love and giving me the push that I need.

Myke is it possible for me to gain the ability to update this thread indefinitely like the R.A.W thread?

Best,

Rodney

Update #1:

1) Added ability to keep track of total games per session
    2) Added Win / Loss ratio for both players

Apologies the image is so large. I will re-size it later when I get to my desktop.
    [​IMG]

Update #2:

1) Slight redesign
    2) The full site should now be responsive across all media types
    3) Rewrite of Win / Loss ratio function

[​IMG]

Update #3

1) Added ability to record highest streak
    2) Added option to do ' first to 3,5,7,10,20 ' sets
    3) Added sound effects determined if you win or lose the set chosen. * ONLY REALLY USEFUL IF YOU ARE ON ON LEFT / 1P SIDE (may remove if I can't improve on this)
    4) Slight design tweaks and aesthetic fixes
    5) Slight code improvement to reduce redundancy

[​IMG]

Update #4

1) We now have a local database thanks to @noname & @KoD. Really this wouldn't be possible without there help so if you guys like the new and most requested functionality to Win Streak then please let them know.
    2) Added a tweet & follow button. USE THEM! :D

[​IMG]

Update #5

1) Complete UI redesign!
    2) Complete ' Stats ' page redesign.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway enjoy and please let me know if you guys are using Win Streak by commenting or placing your vote.

Thanks!

Coming Soon

* Nothing else for now!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    Kamais_Ookin, Myke, Tricky and 10 others like this.
  2. daRockReaper

daRockReaper Shadow Hammer MADNESS Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    daRockReaper
    XBL:
    daRockReaper612
    One more suggestion would be a total win counter as well Personally I'm terrible at keeping count in long sets This would be pretty useful towards that

3. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    Yeah I'll be working on that over the weekend as well as displaying highest win streak for each player.

4. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

I think the best use of this program is the provision for a way to know what your win percentage is. You might have to static cast to display two decimal places, so if you don't know what that is, I'd research a little.

I know how to code, but I've never worked on coding for phones. I hope that I can still be useful to you, though.

5. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    Omg kingheim had the same idea and i was waitin for smthin like this. It would be very useful for long sets. VERY good job Rodney!!!

6. oneida

oneida Long Arm of the Lau Silver Supporter

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    cool stuff rodney!

7. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    I've had this software for years, in fact I invented it myself, I named it 'Pen and Paper'. There are a few bugs in it though, like when sometimes the memory-hand interface glitches out and forgets to register the score.

8. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Why don't you shut up?

Libertine likes this.
  9. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    @rod my phone is an ancient HTC android with a small screen and the display/layout comes out pretty much perfect.

In terms of functionality is it going to be able to track results from multiple players within a session or are you planning to keep it player A vs player B?

It might be cool to be able to track win streaks against certain players even after you lose to someone else.

10. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    First... Good to know it's working good on your phone. If you could post a screen shot of how it looks that would be appreciated.

In regards, to all the features you mentioned I can't promise anything but most of them are on my list. Remember I am a TOTAL beginner so it's more so if I can learn how to implement these things. I really hope so and I'm trying to get there as quickly as I can. I don't understand frameworks and stuff like that yet so it might be a while before you can keep track of your results. I'm trying to find a local mentor who can guide but it's kind of hard to do when you are a beginner. Anyway wish me luck and check out the update I recently added. I think you will love it. :D I just update the files server side so might take a few minutes for the new features to kick for anyone using it.

Enjoy

BBountyHuntyr likes this.
  11. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
  12. MakiLeSushi

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    I know it would be complicate but it would be cool to have his account and see the historic of all sets. Idk by signing in for exemple. It s just an idea ofc

13. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    At the current level I'm at yes it would be complicated, but it's definitely a feature I would like to include myself. Sadly I have no idea how to do this or what language is best to do it in. If there are any skilled coders on here reading this please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Aside from that can you tell me about your experience using the app? I'd love to hear about it. Thanks

14. oneida

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    Easiest to do this with some kind of database, worth looking into SQL!
    http://www.w3schools.com/sql/

15. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    I remember trying to learn SQL a while back and that shit was puzzling as hell. :( Maybe now with my new found knowledge it might make a bit little more sense. I'll look into it.

16. oneida

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    I find w3schools to be a great learning tool. Just run through the chapters and mess with their examples!

adamYUKI and Rodnutz like this.
  17. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    Yeah I use their resources a lot. Actually a lot of my problems were solved viewing their examples on some of the Javascript elements I used.

18. MakiLeSushi

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    Look, u know i love counting points so for me (since u put percentage and total matches) it s a very useful program. I waited for it for long time now. The best part is that u can upgrade a lot of thing so it will be more abd more better with the time. But for now it s just awesome for guys who count scores on every set. Good job my friend and a big thk u...

19. oneida

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    things that would be tricky to implement but so cool to see
    1. accounts - log in / log out, view battle record
    2. ranking system - who's got the best W/L ratio?

20. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX

Log in / out with some sort of a profile that collects data from your session is something I'd like to see myself. However ranking system as cool as it would be is pointless since this widely relies on honesty. I could already see millions of accounts with perfect scores of 100%. Fuck I could even see some jackass who knows how to hack jack my system and give themselves a score of 101% just because they are that lame lol.

Ellis and oneida like this.