1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Wolf Q&A topic

Discussion in 'Wolf' started by Mister, Nov 27, 2012.

1. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Something I've been meaning to ask for a while, what is the purpose of Wolf's guard break 66P+K?

Is there anything guaranteed after it? Is it purely to set up a throw/mid guessing game for the opponent? I don't think it causes a wall stagger either.

2. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

Seems like wolf is designed to have always a great nitaku and force your opponent into a big choice to save his lifebar. When you are +9 your [4][6][P][+][K] will always beat your opponent's attack. So if you smell abare -> big damage with launchers.
    If you smell a defensive player you can always dash and use one of his 3 throw directions, or not dash at all and use the burning hammer (altought an experienced player will evade on reaction). If you want throw damage without a risk of an escape, then that's standing shining wizard time or diamond cutter time (I don't recall if you have to dash or not for these, I'll test again soon). Otherwise you can always use the catch and push forward or back your opponent, depending on when you are in the stage.

I personally like doing 2 guard breaks in a raw to push my opponent as close as possibile to the wall.
    Now that's when you have the only guaranteed option. Remember the it is +9 on guard? well wolf ha a 9f throw which become 75dmg on the wall.

3. MadeManG74

That's really informative, thanks! Didn't realise I could get guaranteed wall throw from it (apart from them breaking it right?). 46P+K beating attacks is really, really useful too.

4. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

However keep in mind that this is a risk situation also for you. If you don't feel throwing out a big launcher you may try to with something else "safer" like [6][P][+][K] or [3][3][P][+][K] which are -13 and not -15 on block. Also [1][P][+][K] is 20f exe and even if it doesn't lead to a big combo it's always nice to setup your [2][P][+][G] reset throw for another mixup, for the damaging ground throw or the heavy attack on the ground.

5. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

Hi guys, i just have a quick question. Currently, who is the best wolf player, first in the US, then Europe, and Japan?

6. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    For America Chief Flash, for Japan I'm guessing Kanzen Nitaku but might be subjective, Europe don't know.

7. DK

Yo, thanks Kamais Coogin. I just need to start watching more match ups and playing against many other characters. More I know about other characters, the better off I am.

PS... Mister, i see you lurking waiting for someone to claim that you are the ultimate European Wolf
    :p

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Definitelly Kanzen in Japan, if he really play for the win, he have no rival (in other Wolfs).

Kamais_Ookin likes this.
  9. DK

Alright, so ive been playing wolf for a little bit and ive noticed something. After i hit an opponent with anything that knocks down, and when they tech roll, I get [3][K][+][G] on their wake-up pretty much 95% of the time. Is this because they are pressing buttons on wake-up or does it have to do with weird frame things that i dont know about?

10. Kamais_Ookin

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    It may be landing as a meaty, and if your opponent doesn't respect that, their ribs break.

11. DK

I dont really know what a meaty is, but i seem to like breaking ribs.

12. Kamais_Ookin

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    You time a move when they tech roll so that they can't evade or attack out of it, only block. You can test this by putting CPU on CH and if they get hit NH after tech roll it was a meaty.

13. DK

alright, I get it. Sort of like invulnerable frames, but the exact opposite. nice. are you in L.A. yet KO?

14. Kamais_Ookin

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    I'll arrive in LA at like 11pm, just resting in airport now.

15. DK

does 3K+g provide enough pushback for a backdash to put wolf out of range of mid ranged attacks as well as short range attacks? And would a 4p be the correct way to punish any whiffs that may ensue from the wolf backdash?

16. Mister

If you're far enough, after [3][K][+][G] back dashing becomes a viable option.

Unicorn likes this.
  17. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    3KG have very little pushback included, it basically do not change the distance between you and your opponent and it puts you on serious disadvantage. Backdash is viable option usually only if you hit this move from max distance

4P is generally good punish after backdashing opponents attack but do not forget it is high.
    46P is also viable sometimes because of insane distance in can cover - it can punish a lot of whiffs easily even on range.

18. Mister

Instead of saying serious disadvantage I'll just say Nitaku.

Btw if it's the push back you're looking for [3][P][+][K] it's the move you want to use. Punches can't reach you after and so many other options like 2P, some elbows, and others (the dojo is always there if you're wondering if this move can help you with something or you may just post here).

Unicorn likes this.
  19. MadeManG74

I want to know about low throwing on quick-recover.
    I seem to remember there is a window where the opponent is in crouch status on wakeup and you can get a low throw during it.

What is the timing for this and are there any good tips for setting this up with Wolf? At the moment I'm using 3K+G on wakeups mixed with Catch-throws/Burning Hammer, but wouldn't mind having the option of doing some low throws if there is a window of opportunity.

20. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

The window for low throwing is 4 or 5 frames, I forget which. They can still abare through it or evade it by using evade or a dash to cancel out of crouch. Dunno about Wolf specific setups.

MadeManG74 likes this.