1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

2004 Football Euro Championships

Discussion in 'General' started by GLC, Jun 19, 2004.

1. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

There are quite a few Europeans here, is anyone following the event? Or maybe even some *gasp* Americans?

P.S. Damn Italy is getting screwed by referees again...

2. Ogi

Ogi Well-Known Member

The Nederlands vs Czech Republic
    Best match so far!

3. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Don't forget Sweden vs Italy... I hope there will be more matches like this. We can look forward to Spain vs Portugal for instance.

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Ibrahimovic's goal against Italy was matrix-like. Awesome display of agility and quick thinking.

5. Gorbag

Gorbag Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Ogi said:

The Nederlands vs Czech Republic
    Best match so far!

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Go France anyway /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gorbag

6. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

I agree too. Holland needs to make it to the next round, they are just soooo fun to watch.

As for Czech Republic, man their play was awesome. Nedved is nothing short of brilliant.

7. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

If only Nedved's 20+m shot went in against Holland, it'd be pretty hard to beat in terms of the best goal of the tournament. It was close, the inner side of the crossbar... oh well. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm hoping for a Czech Rep vs England final - if England advances from 2nd place in the group, it's possible. If they're first though, the match is possible in the semis.

Is it just me, or the referees seem to favor the theoretically stronger teams? So far Croatia got a bit screwed with their goal lost against France, Latvia against Germany (there were like 3 penalty situations that the referee "didn't see" despite his excellent positioning)... hmmm. Ovchinnikov's red card in a match against Portugal, where he didn't even touch the ball with his arm - what happened to interpreting dubious situation in players' favor? It seems lost in case of Lesser vs Major team matches. Shame, really. The red card for Heitinga in Holland vs Czech Rep was a bit weird too though, and those teams were equal. Bad referee work still.

Spain vs Portugal today. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif We can expect some entertainment. Too bad the Russia vs Greece match is at the same time.

8. Player_1

Player_1 Well-Known Member

As usual the great soccer tourneys are in the right in the middle of my exams. And I must say I haven't looked at my courses much when sitting in my couch. Most maches were very cool. I agree Holland deserves to continue after their awesome match against against Czech Rep. You could hardly believe it was the same team as in their first match. Props to Sweden too for their cool play and overall good team. Especially happy to see Wilhelmsson doing well since before last season hardly anyone knew who he was. I'll refer to this link: http://www.rsca.be/matchreport.php?language=nl&matchid=33&fseason=2003-2004&menu=2&submenu=8
    to see him in action during Belgian competition with RSC Anderlecht, scroll down the page and click Anderlecht-Heusden Zolder: Dindane 5-0: a screen will pop up where you have to click the logo to start the vid.
    My favorite players are the young ones I must say, I really enjoyed Torres from Spain, Rooney, and C. Ronaldo, Van der Vaart really mist a big chance yesterday but he's top, Sneijder 's shots are impressive to say the least to, IMO he was the only good player in Hollands first game

9. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

What surprises me is the efficiency of the goalkeepers during the Euro tournament... no major screw-ups, and some interventions were simply brilliant - and not always coming from stellar ones like Buffon.

10. ZSS

ZSS Well-Known Member

The red card for Heitinga in Holland vs Czech Rep was a bit weird too though, and those teams were equal.

Well that card was ok, because Netherlands got one offside goal accepted plus that [K]illing intervention on Rosicky should have been worth a yellow.

11. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ZSS said:

The red card for Heitinga in Holland vs Czech Rep was a bit weird too though, and those teams were equal.

Well that card was ok, because Netherlands got one offside goal accepted plus that [K]illing intervention on Rosicky should have been worth a yellow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Error for error is not the way to go - even if something favors one team, the referee shouldn't be "giving" anything for free to the other one... that foul wouldn't get a yellow card in a league match. This is coming from a Czech supporter, btw.

12. ZSS

ZSS Well-Known Member

I know, that was just a try to mediate a different POV

13. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

<font color="blue"> S </font> <font color="yellow"> W <font color="blue"> E </font><font color="yellow"> D <font color="blue"> E<font color="yellow"> N </font> . </font> </font> <font color="white"> ... REMEMBER IT! [Mitsurgi style voicecasting]

Was in Gotenborg for our minisession there during the weekend and watched footie on the TV with the peeps there - go go Zlatan imba kick of doom :cry:!!!~

/KiwE (If we win this thing - drinks are for free!)

14. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

No no, you got it all wrong swede boy...

___<font color="blue">C</font>_<font color="blue">Z</font>_<font color="blue">E</font>_<font color="red">C</font>_<font color="red">H</font>____<font color="red">R</font>_<font color="red">E</font>_<font color="red">P</font>_<font color="white">U</font>_<font color="white">B</font>_<font color="white">L</font>_<font color="white">I</font>_<font color="white">C</font>___

There, fixed. Too bad there will be no free drinks.

15. StoneColdSerb

StoneColdSerb Well-Known Member

Holidays + Euro 04 = Life is good!

Go Czech Republic!

Ibrahimovic = Goal of the Tournament!

16. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    gg Portugal!

The 2nd semi should be interesting. The Czechs are strong, but the Greeks must be riding high on confidence.

17. ZSS

ZSS Well-Known Member

Let's not underestimate the Greeks. Not even a bit.

18. Tsobanian

Tsobanian Well-Known Member

Exactly. Greece was underestimated too much.
    I know that the game against Nedved and his team is hard but anything can happen.

19. Tsobanian

Tsobanian Well-Known Member

GREECE HAS DONE IT!!!!!!!!!! DELLAS HAS DONE IT!!!!!! GREECE WAS PLAYIN' AWESOME IN EXTRA TIME SO THEY WON!!!!!!!! HAIL TO HELLAS!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE'RE GONNA WIN EVERYBODY!!!!! NO ONE CAN STOP US!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS FUCKIN' AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

HAIL TO HELLAS!!!!! HAIL TO THE PLAYERS!!!!!! HAIL TO THE COACH!!!!!!!!!!!

20. ZSS

ZSS Well-Known Member

1. What the Greeks came out with wasn't football, but a first class lamery. Unfortunately, purpose lamery was > football in this particular case. Should they try it again in the finals, they'll get mopped the floor with from the Portugals.

2. Anyone who wants to stand up for Mr. Collina's clear refereeing, especially in the case of the intervention on Koller, I laugh in your face.

3. The ball is round, the grass is green.

4. Guys who stood by our team, thanks for your love and support.

5. <font color="red">P </font> <font color="red">O </font> <font color="red">R </font> <font color="red">T </font> <font color="red">U </font> <font color="red">G </font> <font color="red">A </font> <font color="red">L </font> <font color="green">A </font> <font color="green">L </font> <font color="green">É </font> <font color="green">!!</font>