1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

[4 Jun 2021] Ultimate Showdown Celebration - New and Returning Players (Online North America)

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Harpooneer, May 29, 2021.

You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
Ultimate Showdown Celebration - New and Returning Players
Online North America
Confirmed Attendees: 0
Posted By: Harpooneer
Start Date: 4 Jun 2021 07:00 PM
End Date: 4 Jun 2021 10:00 PM
Time Zone: America/New_York -04:00 EDT
The following users have RSVP'd "Maybe":
  1. Harpooneer

Harpooneer Well-Known Member

XBL:
    poisonhorse
    Celebrate the release of Ultimate Showdown with the VF Community! We're looking to invite new players, along with those who haven't played in a while, to play in our first Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown Tournament! Join Harpooneer, Blessy, and NYCFurby in the latest VF tournament venture to celebrate the next stage of Virtua Fighter! The theme of this tournament is welcoming new players in a low-stakes, free entry tournament. If you are a returning VF player, welcome back! Please remember that this tournament is limited only to people that have not placed top 8 in any event from the past year (June 1, 2020).

Rules:
    • 32 player cap
    • Single Elimination, Best of 3 matches
    • Registrants may not have placed top 8 in a Virtua Fighter tournament since June 1, 2020
    • North America Region Lock
    • Dural is banned (RIP Dural)
    • Check in one half hour before start (6:30 EST)

How To Play:
    • Join the NYCVF discord here: https://discord.gg/wEuHfRwN
    • Check in using the check-in channel in the discord
    • List your PSN, challonge, and discord name in the USC channel for event staff
    • Call-ups and match reporting will be done in the USC channel
    • Instructions to join lobbies for streamed matches will be sent to players. Your match may or may not be streamed
    • Failure to respond to call-ups after 3 minutes is grounds for disqualification

Matcherino will be split 50/50 between the prize pool and fundraising for North American Qualifiers of Virtua Fighter Global Showdown. Global Showdown will be a tournament where NA, EU, and JP regions all meet for the first time in one place!

2. Iamtheone1983

Iamtheone1983 Active Member

I was very interested in this, bit the lack of participants makes me a sad panda :(
    I know harpooneer is helping to organize the international tourney. I hope this catches fire within the community and people start getting really excited to play competitively.
    I will be keeping an eye, hoping to see more of these qualifiers in the future.

3. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    Lack of participants?

It was a full bracket with a stacked waiting list! This event went super well for the first post-launch event. I may be slightly biased because I also managed to win it XD. Why did you think it didn't get any participants?

4. Iamtheone1983

Iamtheone1983 Active Member

I'm just a dumb. I'll definitely join at the next opportunity.

5. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    XD no prob.

I think that most of the "new generation" of players won't really use VFDC forums much. This event was promoted on Twitch and Twitter which is what drove the most sign ups, I'd wager.

This isn't to say that VFDC isn't still a very useful resource - the reference data here in the move lists, combo repositories, and wiki are all top notch. It's just that younger FGC members don't look for or participate in forums the way the older arcade generation did in the days before "social media." For them, the most relevant channels for FG discussion and organization now are Twitter and Discord.

6. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Just want to say that 3rd rule is a great rule to have in some tournaments for the community. Genius.