1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

A few random questions

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Siyko, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

Some of these are useful, but others are just out of curiosity, but answers are appreciated.

1) Vanessa's Backturned [2]+[P] will sabaki low punch, low kick, and sweep. But, when I tried shun's flip over throw into "guranteed" chowan, it looked like it was crouchguarded. Nelson explained to me that Vanessa can avoid this combo, but I still don't understand the game mechanics behind it.

2) I understand special high attacks will MC low attacks, but will they also MC mid attacks that go under highs, like kage's [3]+[P]? Also, if the low attack misses, can the special high attack mC the recovery?

3) How many frames is a failed evade?

4) Wolf's raw stance will work against "uncharged and non-knockdown variants" of HE, HP, MP, and EL. Is this constant? It seems odd that it would work against moves like akira's [4][3]+[P], or jeffery's threat [P]+[K]. Is there a damage limit or something?

5) Kage's [6][P][G] gurantees a knee, and can combo against some characters ([2]+[P], [2]+[P], [2]+[P]+[K] [K] seems to be guranteed against Lion) Is there any Lion can escape this combo, without forcing a MC? Can I find other combos that work on other characters anywhere?

Thanks for your answers to these (retarted?) questions.

2. Robio_kun

Robio_kun Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    SiYkO said:

4) Wolf's raw stance will work against "uncharged and non-knockdown variants" of HE, HP, MP, and EL. Is this constant? It seems odd that it would work against moves like akira's [4][3]+[P], or jeffery's threat [P]+[K]. Is there a damage limit or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is constant. I can't remember which off the top of my head but I have got it to work against some pretty heavy attacks.

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [ QUOTE ]
    SiYkO said:

Some of these are useful, but others are just out of curiosity, but answers are appreciated.

1) Vanessa's Backturned [2]+[P] will sabaki low punch, low kick, and sweep. But, when I tried shun's flip over throw into "guranteed" chowan, it looked like it was crouchguarded. Nelson explained to me that Vanessa can avoid this combo, but I still don't understand the game mechanics behind it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vanessa's attack has the added property of guarding any special mid. Shun's Chouwan is a special mid.

[ QUOTE ]
    2) I understand special high attacks will MC low attacks, but will they also MC mid attacks that go under highs, like kage's [3]+[P]? Also, if the low attack misses, can the special high attack mC the recovery?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. No. You can easily test this in Training though.

[ QUOTE ]
    3) How many frames is a failed evade?

[/ QUOTE ]

25 frames.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does it seem odd that it works against those two attacks? They're both MP class, and neither knock down or can be charged.

[ QUOTE ]
    5) Kage's [6][P][G] gurantees a knee, and can combo against some characters ([2]+[P], [2]+[P], [2]+[P]+[K] [K] seems to be guranteed against Lion) Is there any Lion can escape this combo, without forcing a MC? Can I find other combos that work on other characters anywhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lion can escape the knee with his [8][P]+[K]. The dragon punch is still guaranteed however.

As for other combos, I'll get back to you on that.

4. LM_Akira

LM_Akira Well-Known Member

Myke heres a random question I've been meaning to ask, hope you can give me a quick answer:

When you're in the back turrned position (eg with Akira 2/3 DLC > evade) and you jab with [P] is the [P] a true 12 frames or is it different as you're facing the "wrong" way at the start of the jab?

5. Faded

Faded Well-Known Member

If I understand your question correctly then the answer is it's pretty much a different jab altogether. The stats can be found in the backturned section of the movelist.
    iirc they're usually a little faster than their forward facing counterparts but the stats aren't as good.

*goes to check*

Yeah according to the movelist akira's is 11 frames -7/-4/+1

Anyways hopefully that's what you were after.

6. LM_Akira

Ahh yeah cheers just checked there myself. Thing is the comments say "follow with [P] sequence" or something and I've been messing round with [P][K] from BT position and there appears to be no extra stats for that. Does anyone know if its exactly the same as the standard [P][K] or different at all?

7. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    When the movelists said "follow the P sequences" the frame stats should be the same as the P followup attacks listed normally...so BT PK frame stats should be the same as what is listed as PK normallly. At least that is what I assumed.

8. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

Thanks myke and robio. I dont have my evo disc atm, so I couldn't test =\

As for the BT [P], at least for Kage, the frame stats on just the punch are poor, but a [P][K]~[G] cancel will recover much faster, which is useful for combos.

9. Shaolin_Hopper

Shaolin_Hopper Well-Known Member

I'd agree with the frame instancing being the same except for one thing I know about Lei Fei. There's a difference in frame properties between (IN stance) 4+KKK string and (normal)4+K+GKK string. Both moves result in exactly the same stances all the way through the string, same hit properties, same damage, but there are different frame advantages and requirements on both chains.

When in IN stance, 4+K (14 frame execution) leaves you at 0 when blocked. When you're not in IN stance, 4+K+G (17 frame execution) is a guaranteed throw move at -9. Both leave you in normal stance.

Both, when followed up with K, leave you in IN stance. (IN)4+KK->(IN) executes in 14 additional frames, and leaves you at +2 on block - (normal)4+K+GK->(IN) executes in *12* additional frames and leaves you at * -9*.

The last K on both chains is exactly the same, -18, since it's a sweep, and sweeps seem pretty generic among all characters.

Both chains seem to use the same animations, except that the (normal) chain is a bit slower to start and the hits come at different frame times into the string since Lei Fei goes into a semi-IN stance before he kicks. But frame advantages occur after the attack hits or is blocked, so the slower start doesn't matter. Both look nearly identical on hitting, execute in the same total amount of time, etc etc etc, but they're different. One chain is 'good' up to 29 frames, and one chain gets you thrown up to 29 frames, and beyond.

Moral of this story: the (back turned) X (follow with Y chain) attacks may have the same properties as standard chains, but they don't necessarily have them. Until i ran into the Lei Fei thing, I would have said with 100% certainty that they were. Now, I'm not so sure. Sega has done some incredibly minute fine tuning of things in this game.

Submoral: If you're that worried about frames that you go out and test the back turned techniques, you should become quartermaster general for someone's armed forces.

Subsubmoral: My application is already in, thank you.

10. LM_Akira

Cheers for the feedback everyone I'll look into things a little more carefully.

11. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

Random question to ask, may as well be here!

How come buffering in a dash to execute a standing move (lion doing [2][P], [6][6] [3][P][P] for example) doesn't work with akira's doublepalm? Even with plenty of time in between, [2][P], [6][6][4][6][P] or [2][P], [4][4][4][6][P] both will come out as dblpalm instead of [4][6][P]? It is even possible to watch the beginning of the dash animation before the doublepalm comes out (which is cool!)

In fact... is there any way for akira to do [2][P], standing palm without a pause in between? It seems odd that modifying a move to a standing position doesn't work with doublepalm....

Discuss

12. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Instant SgPm after a low punch:

[2][P] - [4][6]n+[P]

As for the super delayed double palm after crouching then standing dash, it's because there's a large input window after the crouch which will still allow for the DbPm. The site 1/60sec says you got 19 frames to do it!

13. JingHungDong

JingHungDong New Member

buffering

speaking of buffering. i dont think i get the idea at all. im fairly new to more advanced concepts in this game, but if you dont mind. .. could you try to explain it to me? ::cheesy grin::

14. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

Re: buffering

buffering is kind of like doing a shortcut.

for example, kage's tft. if you follow up tft with knee, you can't hold down and then press forward knee, because it takes too long. instead, as you're getting up, do [3][3][6][K] and just as he gets up the knee should come out. since in vf, [1][1] and [3][3] simulate crouches.