1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Anti characters

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by ChibiSushi, Nov 17, 2003.

1. ChibiSushi

ChibiSushi Active Member

My question is, who do you think are the characters weak against and strong against.

example i find that i am having trouble beating Sarah with Goh. Is this a a bad match for go is she a weakness of his of some sorts. Iknow people will say that its just about the players skill but, i think its also on the character you play

/versus/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

2. L33

L33 Well-Known Member

im having the same trouble with sarah too playing as Goh (especially when shes in her flamingo). try and break her flamingo with a [2][P]. it doesnt always work for me but its a hell of a lot better than just guarding. i found that her kicks in flamingo are faster than Goh's normal jab [P]. dont take my word for it tho, i usually take a decent amount of damage b4 i break her stance. i usually stay as far away as possible now and abuse [4][6][K].

i have a 4th dan Goh at the 4th arcade going into the 5th arcade btw.

3. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    [4][6][K] is great for stopping flamingo but the sabaki only works if you do it after she does her kick so it pays not to panic and spam it out. Since she has other options than kicks you should be careful not to become predictable by using [4][6][K] too much. I find that it's best to keep Sarah at a decent distance from you as she isn't as good as Goh from here (mainly due to his mighty [K]), once she's in close she's dangerous so watch out.

4. ValeStyle_Gove

ValeStyle_Gove Well-Known Member

This is an interesting post, although I dont see much of a character weakness/strength to other characters, actually the only one that instantly pops into my mind is pai vs jeff, but then I remember 'hell, jeffery could juggle the hell of out of pai'. For one I would like to know who is best against pai. Fustration! /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif

5. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    I don't think their is ENOUGH of a character advantage/disadvantage effect in the game for it to really be an issue although it is there to a degree. Personally I don't find sarah too tough to beat with goh, but like any other situation it usually ends up depending on who does the right things at the right time. That's really a player issue, not a character issue.

The tips for those guys were just because they sounded like they were having a hard time beating sarah.

6. Kimble

Kimble Well-Known Member

It's not about the balance of the game. If you play a certain character you will have a harder time dealing with certain characters. For example, Lei Fei has the IN stance. But against Sarah, who uses kicks most of the time, the stance is significantly less effective. That's just the way it is.

I play Lei Fei primarily and i find it a bit more difficult to play against poking characters (e.g Lion, Sarah, Jacky, Pai, Aoi). Lei Fei lacks close range moves and that is why he suffers there. He's ok against the rest though.

7. stalwartsamurai

stalwartsamurai Well-Known Member

Lion is a very tough match for Sarah man
    Lions- [2][1][4][P]
    will eat every FL move except for [8][K] which is easily guarded and punished
    not to mention her normal stance moves- if your predictable that is

8. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

A balanced game will still have bad matchups, else you'd have some really mundane characters. So while nothing in Evo is to the level of GGXX Potemkin/Chipp slaughter, I think there are some matchups that favor a char over the other.

I find Sarah hard using Goh as well. You'd think that the b,f+k sabaki would destroy Sarah, but like Elite said, it's not exactly a freebee. It only works from a distance, from what I've found. Up close, I find that buffered m-shrms are the most effective weapons against that flamingo bs. Actually, moreso than Sarah, I have a real problem with Lion, when using Goh. At least Sarah is somewhat vunerable and within hitting range when she's in flamingo. Lion, man that guy is just poking out of range - and all those circular attacks which dont' seem all that punishable. Ugh. Actually, based on my win percentage, I suck against Lion the most using all of my characters (Goh, Wolf, Vanessa, Aoi).

9. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Most people seem to think some characters are harder matchups than others. Kurita told me that Kage is probably Vanessa's toughest match - and my records seemed to reflect that, with me losing vs. ninjas the most.

On the other hand, it's easy to jump to conclusions - Chibita clips have him losing often to Vanessa, so Lion must be weak vs. Vanessa, right? Well, not exactly. Vanessa does do a good job of stopping a lot of his low attacks, but he's got plenty of other things that can give her problems.

I think it really varies from person to person, in the end.

10. ChibiSushi

ChibiSushi Active Member

Ok........... do i dare ask people to give there chart of mismatches.........hhhmmmm.....yes i do .

pls post your opinion of what you think are missmatches /versus/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. ValeStyle_Gove

ValeStyle_Gove Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    stalwartsamurai said:

Lion is a very tough match for Sarah man
    Lions- [2][1][4][P]
    will eat every FL move except for [8][K] which is easily guarded and punished
    not to mention her normal stance moves- if your predictable that is

[/ QUOTE ]

I find the best way to kill Lion players is continual offence, try not to be too predictable. But the deal is, if you know lion will use his [2][1][4][P] then HE is the predictable one. You can use moved not parryable and cream him.

12. L33

L33 Well-Known Member

wat u sed about Goh's [4][6][K] was a good point. U NEVER USE THAT MOVE CLOSE UP AGAINST SARAH (unless ur expecting a mid kick or something and even then, id have doubts). i poke her from a distance with it and sometimes it mc's, and theres not much disadvantage when it's blocked.

there's always gonna be other styles, not so much the characters, that can beat ur style (ex. throwers could easily beat defensive people and defensive people could easily beat attackers and atttackers could easily beat throwers) and it's just a matter of adapting to them. that's part of what makes great players.

theres some AI Sarahs that i can beat easy and theres some i have trouble with. same goes for Lions and Jeffrys and Wolfs and Aois and all the other characters. like i sed, its not the character, its the style of play.

13. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    [4][6][K] is still great against flamingo and what does the distance have to do with anything? It doesn't just sabaki mid kicks it also sabakis high and side kicks which if you look at her flamingo moveslist the majority of her attacks fall into this catagory. Obviously if you over-use it then you're gonna pay but that's the case with all moves and if she knows she can't use any of the moves that [4][6][K] sabakis then it'll will make her alot easier to read. The only thing I'd be weary of is since you have to input the kick after she does hers then you may be vulnerable to her catch throws if she see's it coming (not sure when [4][6][K]'s hit phase starts)

P.S. Don't poke with [4][6][K], use the mighty [K] since it's better in almost every way

14. ChibiSushi

ChibiSushi Active Member

Ive been heasring alot about Goh's [K] are the stats on this move good

15. L33

L33 Well-Known Member

distance has to do with a lot if u want me to use [K] instead of [4][6][K]. i have greater reach with [4][6][K] and thats why i dash back and use it against her. Sarah AIs are stupid (or the ones ive been facing so far [7th Dans etc.] ) and they often run into it or try and attack me and i get mcs. [K] is what i consider close or mid range and my comfort range with Sarah is very far back. i mean, u might have better ways to deal with her close range but im not very comfortable with her flamingo at close range. like i sed, distance matters to ME. and i didnt say NEVER use [4][6][K] close up wen urfacing her, its just that the timing to actually sabaki a kick with [4][6][K] is very strict and Sarah's kicks come out very fast and usually hit me b4 IM able to get [4][6][K] and sabaki her kick. i mean, u might be better at the timing, im not very good at it (somthing ill practice btw).

PS. like u sed, the mighty [K] is of course better in every way... wen ur close. i stay far. i dont go in and poke either lol. they run into my "hail mary" hits lol. the funny thing is, they'll fall for it 3 or more times b4 they realize to stay back or dodge it. even if they do that, they're too far back to do anything about it (there are exceptions tho).

16. BMF

BMF Well-Known Member

16exe, -6guard, 0hit, +8MC and obviously mid with long ass range

17. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    I was talking about VS, you were talking about quest. No biggie although if you play a human you might want to rethink your "interesting" strategy /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[K] has better range than you seem to be giving it credit for and from distance there isn't much they can hurt you with on guard due to it pushing them away. [4][6][K] is punishable on guard and has rubbish properties on normal hit compared to [K]. It's only good in situations where you're using it for a MC or the sabaki.

This is mostly just my opinion so don't listen if you don't want to, but Goh is my main character.

18. Faded

Faded Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Elite said:

I was talking about VS, you were talking about quest. No biggie although if you play a human you might want to rethink your "interesting" strategy /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[K] has better range than you seem to be giving it credit for and from distance there isn't much they can hurt you with on guard due to it pushing them away. [4][6][K] is punishable on guard and has rubbish properties on normal hit compared to [K]. It's only good in situations where you're using it for a MC or the sabaki.

This is mostly just my opinion so don't listen if you don't want to, but Goh is my main character.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't they both -6 on block and isn't [4][6][K] technically better on normal hit? +2 or some such I forget, it's been a while since I played Goh.

imo [K] is better simply for execution speed and ability to stagger.

It also seems to push the opponent away a fair bit where as the sabaki kick moves you in. Both are great moves, just with different applications. [4][6][K] is a great range closer into offensive flow charts imo.

19. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    I wasn't really talking the frames since they're roughly even on normal hit, I think the pushing away property of [K] gives it the edge over [4][6][K] but like I said, it's just the way I use him so people are entitled to disagree.

20. Faded

Faded Well-Known Member

I don't really disagree. I think they both have their uses. Don't think I could really pick a favourite between the two moves when I played Goh.

[K] is ownage against a wall though.