1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone know if FT will be online for PS2 orPS3???

Discussion in 'Console' started by Maximus, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

I am simply writing this to ask if anyone has heard anything from Sega Am-2 if they are planning to bring FT for PS2 or PS3 for online gameplay. REMEMBER, I am just asking if anyone has any info. I am not trying to start any rumors or anything like that. If anyone has any info please post it because it would be very helpful. I should also mention for people to not post any rumors or anything, I want facts not some made up stuff.

2. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    Sega hasn't said a word yet if FT will have a home release. If and when Sega does say something about a home release, it'll be BIG NEWS and you'll know about it. Trust me. Cross your fingers. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As far as online play, I really doubt it. In the past Yu Suzuki has said he doesnt see VF being able to play flawlessly online. He mentioned there is too much data being processed in VF for today's network standards to be lag free. There was a thread discussing about it about a year ago.

To finish up, I heard that Tekken 5 wont have online play, but then again they are rushing a home release. DOAU was possible because Tecmo spent a lot of effort making it possible. I haven't tried it, but I hear it is done really well. But, Tecmo was using an earlier versions of the DOA engine. I wonder why they didn't have an upgrade of DOA 3 with online play.

3. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

while it would be cool, even if it lags 1 frame, that's like unplayable.

4. DeathCom

DeathCom Well-Known Member

Well, a little report about DOAU. Ive played a good deal of it online and it does lag. The lag is entirely dependent on how good both player's connections are for the game plays at the lowest common speed (duh).

When both people have about a 30ms ping (average comcast cable, with nothing else running on either person's home networks, even AIM), the game will play nearly 99% stable at 60fps control.

The important thing is what DOAU does when lag happens. It activates a slow down on the gameplay clock. The frame rate drops to slow the action to the lag speed. Rarely does it pause and inputs are never lost for it seems to also engage some sort of ultra buffer. So if your inputing a combo at normal speed, and the game lags, the combo will go through without a hitch when it catches up mostly. The big down side is for the defending opponent, depending on the degree of the lag, it can allow them to easilly see your combo and counter it.

All in all, DOAU is a MUCH more simple game than VF. Few if any real single frame accurate commands. VF, Tekken, and SCII require a degree of precision that a game like DOAU does not. DOAU is the finest example of online fighting to date. Its near flawless when stacked up against the 2D online fighters or MK Deception. All of those tend to just ignore inputs when lag occurs.

One day there will be online fighting for all. But that will also be the day when pings average 16ms or less and broadband means at least 10Mbps upload and 50Mbps download. So, maybe VF Six will come home with online play.

In the here and now. I just wish AM2 would tell us something. We want FT in the home, most US VF fans dont have an arcade that has it /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif And on that note, Im still in hopes of an Xbox port this time around. Why? PS2 had two shots, both werent quite arcade quality. VFs fans already own or most likely will get an Xbox for a perfect port of FT. And Sega will sell more copies on Xbox because its total lack of serious quality 3D fighters besides SCII. (however considering like five people in Japan own an Xbox, this is probably the number one hurdle preventing that from happening)

-DeathCom

5. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Few if any real single frame accurate commands

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I remember about DOA 3 many characters had a number of strings using the same commands where the different strings were produced with variations in button input timing. If I'm not mistaken (this was a gaming lifetime ago & a different game than DOAU) these command inputs (with regards to producing the string you *want*)are every bit as strict in terms of timing as anything in vf (attack wise) excepting perhaps things like Akira's knee, kage's new dragon punch combo, maybe sgpm>de, spod...stuff like that.

6. DeathCom

DeathCom Well-Known Member

Well, many combos have all sorts of delay options in DOAU. And there are throws even that need precice timing to execute. But thats where the "ultra buffer" as I call it comes in. You do the timing in real time as you would offline, and it just works. Its hard to explain, even though the game speed changes at times. When it gets bad, I do find myself worried and I continually input the last move over and over. But it seems that even when I dont, it tends to work out what I intended.

The key move difficulty with VF, Tekken, and SCII online is that timing can be defined by visual feedback. Moves that shift to throw on the hit frame and the like. Such moves would be impossible to perfect if the game speed is changing on you even in the slightest. DOAU doesnt have moves like that. A move like Akira's 1 frame shift knee would acutally work online because it could determine if you peformed the motion correctly offline before its execution would be done online. So, pretty much any move that in no way needs to interact with the opponent or an object in the game (aside from your character), can be done fairly normally regardless of lag. Exceptions would be moves of exceptional duration, or long arse Tekken 10 strings (which are about useless anyway). But things like juggle timing, all can be very easilly screwed up with lag. This is also true for DOAU. So in that case, its best to not be creative online. Stick to a short juggle that requires no timing to execute.

-DeathCom

7. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

Thx for the analysys and infor, but I'd play a laggy VF4 online anyday anytime. At least it wouldn't be the quest mode. =)

-maddy with over 20K games with Akira in Quest-

8. Maximus

[ QUOTE ]
    Thx for the analysys and infor, but I'd a play laggy VF4 online anyday anytime. At least it wouldn't be the quest mode. =)

[/ QUOTE ]

Maddy, I deffinetly agree on your remark and hopefully in the near future Sega will make FT for PS3. Oh yeah, I agree, but I have another question. How does the vf.net work on arcades.

Also, there might be a way to filter the lag problem. They could probably make a type of hub to filter the lag for online play and make both players to play on the same connection speed. Of course this would be sold seperately, but it would be worth it.

As for FT going to Xbox, I highly doubt it. Even though Xbox beats PS in graphics, its downfall is its lack of interest to people. Face it, not many people are that enthusiastic about Xbox. It's controller sucks major a$$ and it's online features recquire money unlike PS where all you need it the network adaptor. I myself play both stick and controller in Evo. I have tried to play fighting games on Xbox and just simply could not feel comfortable with the controller style (Even when I played a FPS I still could not get the gameplay right). The only way to play VF on Xbox would be to buy a stick and most people are too lazy to do it (unless you are a super VF fan). And as mentioned, there aren't many people in Japan who play a lot of Xbox. The only way VF is going to come online for console is through Sony's Playstation. By the way, I don't know if any of you have heard it, but there were actually some people making a petition to Sega Am-2 to make an online version of VF for Xbox. I looked at it and naturally gave a snicker at the attempt.

Also is there any FT arcades in Europe? I have heard that Sega did put out some machines outside of Japan, is this true or just made up? And anyone here know what the ratio here is for people in U.S. that play VF?

9. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

This kind of stuff exists even offline to a certain extent. For example, TV's or monitors with a slow response time (such as DLP tv's), displays the image milliseconds slower than actual game speed. So in effect, when you push [P], it doesn't register on screen until a few frames afterwards. Normally, people would probably not notice it, but it becomes very very apparent and heavily detracts from gameplay. For example, let's say you are doing a delayed launcher to beat EDTEG. You watch for the failed evade, and you execute the command for the launcher, but you will fail if you execute the command on the visual cue, because what's happening on screen is actually a few frames behind. So in order to hit a failed evade, you actually have to guess and execute the launcher earlier than usual to compensate for the delay in time. This may mean you have to do it even before you see a failed evade, which makes the technique useless, even though the game is actually running in real time without lag. These kinds of things clearly shows how online VF would be almost pointless if you want to be anywhere decent.

10. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    While I don't know enough about the internal politics of Sega or Sony to say that VF:FT will or won't come to Xbox, I don't think the controller will be enough of a deterrent to prevent it. I have both and Xbox and a PS2. I prefer the controller of the PS2 for fighting games; the Xbox controller is better for shooters. So to correct the problem I simply bought an adaptor that lets me use a PS2 controller on an Xbox. It cost twelve dollars. I know people who prefer Xbox controllers. It's about what you are accustomed to. Both systems are near the end of life anyway.

Both Sony and Microsoft are planning to release the next generation systems this year. This leads me to believe that politics and old-fashioned protectionist economics will play a bigger part in what is released on which system than the actual system specs.

11. Maximus

[ QUOTE ]
    . So to correct the problem I simply bought an adaptor that lets me use a PS2 controller on an Xbox. It cost twelve dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where exactly did you get this adapter at?? I would really like to get one of these since I like Xbox, but I hate the Xbox controller.

12. rejj

rejj Active Member

http://www.lik-sang.com/ have all sorts of stuff, gamepad adaptors included. I ordered a dualshock->usb converter from them ages ago. Works like a treat... I plug the dualshock into it, plug it into my PC, and WinXP immediately recognises it as a usb gamepad. All buttons and sticks are usable. That was pretty cheap, also.

13. Maximus

OMG, this is awsome. Thank you very much. I'm going to get an adaptor for xbox and finally be able to play those xbox games with a ps2 controller. Again, thank you very much.

14. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    Akira_PH, your ID tag says that you live in Illinois. If so, you should be able to find this adapter at your local Wal-Mart. That is where I got mine. I have also seen them at local specialty stores. There is no need to wait or pay shipping cost.

The one I use also allows you to use a PS2 controller on a Gamecube as well as Xbox, thus eliminating the need for the most horrendous controller in the history of intelligent life, the standard Gamecube controller.

15. Maximus

Thank you very much. I was going to do a search for it on the internet, but now that you told me this little bit of info I am just simply relieved at how much time I am going to save. Again thank you very much. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif