1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Aoi vs. Lei Fei

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by VFAoi, Jan 21, 2008.

1. VFAoi

VFAoi Member

Lei Fei to me seems like a broken character. I feel so hopeless when fighting against him. Is there a way to stop his offensive? Are there techniques available? What are his moves that I can grab him after on block? What moves aren't sidestep-able? Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Please be specific! Thanks in advance!

2. Sp00n

Sp00n Well-Known Member

It's hopeless, Lei-fei will wtf pwn you no matter what you do.

srrly

Ofcourse I kid
    I know your pain, the crazy monk is something i'm having a lot of trouble against as well, it's hard to predict what high his attacks will be and the yingyang stance is constantly getting broken by double limp attacks.
    So yes, advice from other aoi players here with lei fei knowledge is more than welcome

3. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

Low punch ftw!!! Seriously, it may look like he's continuously attack due to stance changes and such, but you can hit him in between moves extremely often. It takes some work to figure out exactly when he's vulnerable, but just spend a while playing against him, and trying to hit him out of different moves, you'll find a lot of weak spots.

Lei-fei is really vulnerable to evades... he's an extremely linear character. Look up the command lists on this site to see specifically what his circular/half-circular attacks are.

Also realize, in a number of his stances, he can't be thrown. So it's very hard throwing him after you block a move... some of his most vulnerable moves, he ends in some weird position, so learn to punish with launchers, rather than throw attempts.

4. Griever

Griever Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Griever_PL
    Spend some time with him in dojo, simply in the command training. After that, when you will already know more or less how each of his moves looks, go to command list here on VFDC.
    Pick Lei-Fei ver.C command list, at filter it by -12 and more on block. This will give you moves that give you guaranteed throws.
    Browse through the command list to see which moves leave him at a disadvantage, and which don't in different situations. After all of this, check which moves you can sidestep, and towards which way.

Do it with every character that is pain in the ass for you, and you'll make yourself a better player, seriously. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
    Have a nice week with Lei-Fei /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

5. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    A. Learn your own character
    1. Aoi has /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif: read on in my post that starts off with "Aoi-pants."

B. Learn what he can do.
    1. This is done in dojo.
    a. Pick him, learn his moves and what they look like.
    2. Look at his moves on this site's command list
    a. Return to dojo, relearn the moves
    b. Associate the frames with the moves with simple thinks like:
    !. Can I force nitaku? (-7 or greater)
    @. Can I get free damage after blocking this? (-12 or greater)
    #. What move should I not attack after blocking? (Lei-Fei has a number of moves that give advantage on block)
    $. What moves, from what stance, sabaki's X, at what frames?
    3. Realize /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif beat his sabaki's (not always /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif)

(cut short due to time constraints)

6. ken

ken Well-Known Member

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    Really great move vs leifei, MC Crumple's very frequent.
    -Note this move is executed from a standing state.
    -Learn to buffer a forward dash to enter a standing state to abuse this move from crouching state.
    -Spam this move
    -Spam this move more

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif
    -spam this a lot as well
    -can lead to yinyang too

Yin Yang Stance
    -can deal with everything else
    -especially dodge
    -yinyang dodge is very strong

VS LEI:
    Lei's Double Leg Hop Kick /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif
    -This move is heavily punishable on block. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif guaranteed
    -Bait it with YinYang and "dodge"

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    -very good advantage for lei when blocked. Leads to unlimited choices for him
    Use yinyang to deal with it.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    -floats and ducks under high
    -good speed and range
    -if you block this, everything up to elbow is guaranteed in retaliation.
    :Either yinyang or block and counter.

Stances in general:
    dodge dodge dodge or yinyang

Koko:
    do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    or dodge

Lei's too obsessed with stance based attacks don't dodge much.

7. sakuyarules

sakuyarules Active Member

I don't know many of Aoi's moves, but I made myself get good with her counter <- P+K, 1 P+K, and 2P+K. Recently I fought against a lei fei who decided it would be cool to keep spamming the same 3 hit move, where, if I didn't block, I'd be stunned. Since I'm pretty good with the counters, I pwned him, only took me 2 losses to get him down, I then proceeded to beat him 5 matches. The moral of this story is, sidesteps and counters ftw.

8. Fulan

Fulan Well-Known Member

you're not good if you can reverse a spammers move.

9. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

I've had a limited amount of experience in this match but what from I could see so far, its a pretty tough matchup for aoi mainly due to damage percentages and the amount of guesses aoi needs to make to to win compared to lei fei. I also think her passive-agressive mid/throw game gets slowed down a bit from leis doku stance. As for her reversals, I generally dont overuse them since someone that knows what they are doing will add small delays that will lead to 50-60 point combos for them.

10. sakuyarules

K sorry. Thanks for contributing to the thread btw. Also, you are saying that someone who is good can not reverse a spammer's move? Only bad people?

11. Farpenoodle

Farpenoodle Well-Known Member

Just that it takes no effort.

I personally have a bad habit of substituting mid reversals for other defensive techniques whenever I expect a mid.

12. Fulan

Fulan Well-Known Member

I was saying that someone who does not know Aoi's movelist but manages to reverse the moves of a very predictable player can't call himself 'good' with Aoi.

13. sakuyarules

Still not contributing to the thread but w/e flame wars are fun. You didn't say that, what you said was good people can't reverse a spammers move. I think you MEANT to say what you just said, but that wasn't what you originally said. Also, since you can't read, all I said was that I made myself good with reversal at the expense of other moves. I didn't say I was a 'good' player with Aoi, and I was just offering a suggestion to the OP, who asked for help.
    There you go, that is what I said and meant. I got good with her counters, at the expense of her moves. You are trying to flame me for something I neither said nor meant.
    Since you obviously have nothing to contribute, why continue to pollute this thread?

14. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

You guys is crazy, and Fulaani is mostly right. Reversals tend to be minimal damage and knockdown, which can act as a soft reset unless you have really good okizeme. If you're fighting a noob spammer, reversals are just simply not the best/easiest/safest way to win. I honestly think anyone picking her up should not use reversals at all until they can start winning matches. They're an uber defensive option, but they can get predictable and weak so fast it's not even funny. The core of her gameplay is really elbow spam, throws, and proper use of tenchi. Reversals can help make up for some of her general low damage when used effectively, but they can't replace the more game's more standard defensive options.

I disagree about your first point, LA... mostly cause that's a description of almost every single one of Aoi's matches. Fighting Jeffry is ridiculous, since her combos are cut down to about 40-50 damage given his weight, and he's still doing 90 per knee. That is to say, Aoi always needs to make more correct guesses than her opponent. I don't think it's even particularly skewed in the lei-fei match... we already determined their wall combos are roughly similar damage. 66P is uber against the wall for both of them. Lei also tends to be the highest weight character that Aoi can still use her max damage crumple combos on, like 43P+K > 2KP > PPPK.

Your second point is quite valid, though... his stances totally mess up Aoi's throw game, which is a big point in his favor. I don't know that the match is particularly unbalanced, but it definitely requires the Aoi to lean more into her rushdown tactics, rather than the more defensive playstyle she's known for. It can be an extremely difficult match for people who don't understand all the aspects of Aoi as a character.

15. Fulan

Fulan Well-Known Member

actually what I meant was that reversing a move of someone who just does the same thing over and over again take little skill.

16. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

As opposed to what, though... it doesn't take skill to use any method to defeat someone who does the same thing over and over. If they're spamming a high attack, you can spam 2K+G for minimal damage and a knockdown, or you can spam 4P+K for minimal damage and a knockdown, and you're gonna win either way. It's just not a skill based match at that point...

17. Farpenoodle

Farpenoodle Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that's what he's saying.

18. sakuyarules

Actually it seems all he is trying to say is that I am bad. He has yet to add anything to the thread, as everyone else who has criticized at all, has done. Having fun boosting your post count? I don't really care if I'm bad, I just got the game last month, just trying to offer help to someone who asked for it, but as the saying goes "no good deed goes unpunished".

19. sakuyarules

20. DevilJin01

DevilJin01 Active Member

This thread died. LOL. So much for beating Lei Fei.