1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Big September Tournament *MAGFest*

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by fireballtrap, Aug 20, 2002.

1. fireballtrap

fireballtrap Active Member

OK, this isn't the first topic about this, probably won't be the last. It's coming up next month, so anyone that is planning on attending should make reservations now, imo. Congratulations to Gndalf007 for making staff and now being in charge of the VF4 tournament. He has some good ideas, albeit far out ones /versus/images/icons/grin.gif . If you guys have any suggestions for him, put em here. I think that this tournament could be very fun since it is now player run. Anyways, if you don't know by now, magfest.org.

2. Gndalf007

Gndalf007 Well-Known Member

Yes, it looks like I, VF.com's very own Gndalf007, will be running this big tournament. We've spoken to many of the top players on the East Coast, and I can definitely say that the competition at MagFest will be top-notch. When it comes to VF4, THIS TOURNAMENT IS THE BIG ONE!

3. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    Well, if it's going to be so BIG, and you ARE the man in charge. Why don't you do something about the time that it's being held at. 11:00 p.m. christ by the time the finals get around, it will be about 3-4 in the morning. That's waaaaaay past my bedtime /versus/images/icons/mad.gif
    So big dog, can you fix it? Fix it and I am their and I am sure alot more will probably show up as well. Later

4. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

"We've spoken to many of the top players on the East Coast, "

who are they?

5. supergolden

supergolden Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

I concur with Mr. Omaha, other game tournaments being held on Saturday at reasonable times include Arc Arena and Implode... Sorry but I havn't even heard of these games, and don't know why a tournament in VF4 (which has earned rave reviews from just about everyone) should take backseat to Arc Arena and Implode...

Does Joe know that people from NY to Florida (?) will be coming to partake in the VF tournament? I doubt they could say that about Arc Arena... And the current time is in the middle of the concert too, I was looking forward to seeing the Minibosses play too..

6. fireballtrap

fireballtrap Active Member

Hehe, hounding matt is fun! Yeah, get that time changed!!! This is right during the concert! You need to link Joe to this page, Matt. And EVERYONE (meaning us, not the members of the band /versus/images/icons/cool.gif ) should hound joe as CaptGamestation on AIM. I'm serious, make he fear getting on.....

7. supergolden

Rich (Namflow) and I are of course going, anyone besides us and the local Roanoke crew going to show up?

Also is it going to be double elimination? 3/5 rounds? 2/3 matches to get knocked down? Custom characters?

-Alex

8. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

lmao! This thread is great /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif It is a little messed up that Tekken 4 and the old school medley are the only tournies will start at 3pm or before. Hope everyone got their questions answered one way or another /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

9. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

BTW, what are some of these far fetched ideas fbt? If nothing else I'll ask you on IM.

<font color="red">"And the current time is in the middle of the concert too, I was looking forward to seeing the Minibosses play too.. " </font color>

Ok, now this f***ing sucks /versus/images/icons/mad.gif Even my roommate (who hates this game) thinks a VF4 tourney during the concert is lame. Hopefully Joe will understand /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

10. Gndalf007

About the time thing...

Joe has been very uncommunicative about MAGFest... but I can tell you that I WON'T be following that schedule. If we want our VF4 tournament, or any other tournament for that matter, I'll run it any time we want. POWER TO THE PLAYERS!

11. supergolden

Anyway Rich and I can pre register for the tournament? We've got the concert going on before hand and although I doubt that will last until 11:00, between taking our equipment back to our room and all, pre registering would be great...

Thanks,

-Alex

12. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Hey, I am definatly planning on comming for sat...is it possible I could split lodging with someone, or if someone lives in that area?

13. supergolden

Hey man I wish I could offer you space with us, but it looks like we are going to have six people total in the room is and that is going to be pretty cozy as is...

I'm considering bringing a PS2 and VF4 incase the game room is really crowded, or they don't have many VF4 stations or something like that... Probably couldn't hook it up to a hotel TV though...

-Alex

14. Gndalf007

Let's see... it's the 26th, precon night begins in a few hours, and I STILL have heard NOTHING from ANYONE regarding VF4 OR my staff position. As of now, I am assuming I'm not on staff, since they apparently don't know that they need someone who knows VF4 to run the tournament (or any other fighting game, for that matter). But, I'll do what I can. Ideally, I'm going to change that schedule to this:

Friday:
    6 PM: MvC2
    8:30 PM: Super Turbo

Saturday:
    Noon: 3rd Strike
    2 PM: CvS2
    5 PM: VF4

I need to put GGX and Tekken 4 and maybe DOA3 in there...

I'd also like to have a Fighter's Pentathlon (VF4, T4, CvS2, MvC2, GGX), if possible.