1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Calling All Midwest USA VFers!

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Zero-chan, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Hi all, in case you don't know me, I'm a AM2 fighting game fan who lives in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. (^^) I'm wondering if there are VF scenes (arcade or PS2 ver) elsewhere in the midwest? Eastern Iowa is quite dead for any sort of fighting game play (I dunno how it is in Des Moines though)... I'd love to go someplace in one of the surrounding states over spring break and maybe meet some other VFers. There's also the possibility of me going to AnimeCentral in Chicago this April, I'm sure if enough VFers got together there we could get the staff to set up some sort of VF4 tournament. And, if anyone is going to be in the Cedar Rapids area, I'll be more than happy to meet for some VF4 play, as well as let you use my Fighting Vipers 2 cabinet (^^)

2. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Well we have a VF4 machine at FFC in Omaha Nebraska. I think a buncha peeps from my arcade also went down too E5 is Cedar Rapids:) The Omaha Vf scene has like 4 players though:(

3. Zero-chan

Yeah, I've heard Omaha has some nice arcades. Never been there though, as it's pretty far from here. It's much easier for me to go to Chicago, StL, Minneapolis than Omaha. What's the cabinet setup for VF4 there like?

4. Killbomb

Killbomb Well-Known Member

Well, there seems to be a VF scene slowly forming here in St. Louis comprised of many disgruntled Tekken 4 players. There a couple of separate groups that are playing but we need to get everyone together for big gatherings. Maybe in a couple months that will happen...but you never can tell around here. They'll probably fall back in love with T4 when it hits PS2. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

5. Hayai_JiJi

Uhm cabinent setup is a big monitor (Old DoA2 cab) with the buttons straight across.

6. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

I'd count on that number rising after the home version arrives stateside...there's actually about 4 or 5 others who play "part-time" I'd guess. I'm really hoping they really take to it next month, since that's gonna give us consistent Lei and Vanessa players and possibly a Lau player as well.

So far we've got:

Me (Sarah, Aoi, Wolf)
    Chris a.k.a. Lonelyfighter (Shun, Kage)
    Troy (Lion, Pai, Akira)
    Chris a.k.a. the disgruntled Tekkenite (Jacky)
    and I'd say we share claim with NYC on Rodney a.k.a. Omaha Jeffry (I think Jeff, but he's been gone so long now, I'm not sure anymore)

7. MADrox

MADrox Well-Known Member

Well,
    Lets see, i'm still bugging arcades to get vf4. The only that has it has a test machine.
    Plus most of the chicago clan is out of town .
    So that leaves me, lee, ed, john and shota when ever he gets back from japan to maybe play.
    I should be attending that anime convention also, so hope fully we can meet up and play somewhere.

lick-stino

8. Hayai_JiJi

I hope your right Nutlog gonna get old just getting beat up by you guys:) We need to get ahold of the Tekken Chris and see if he wants to play.

9. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    heh yea NUTLOG is right! omaha can put a claim on me as a vf player. i am just in new york city right now taking care of my legal matters(citizenship). i did not have to come back to new york to do it, but it was a good excuse to atleast spend some time with my family after all this crap that has been going in the world. exspect me to permanently return to omaha next winter or spring. but i will make a couple of week long or weekend visits in the coming months. so nutlog, sausage man, and lonelyfighter be prepared to get the smack layed down! :p

10. Hayai_JiJi

Rodney is a Machi bastard:)

11. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Heh, save it, chump...you have no idea how badly you're going to get owned... /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

12. Cros

Cros Member

“Chris a.k.a. the disgruntled Tekkenite (Jacky)â€Â

lol...

So that is how you distinguish me? Though, I guess it is correct. Don’t forget Brian a.k.a. the disgruntled Tekkenite from Lincoln (Akira).

Good news Zero-chan, there is going to be a VF4 tournament in Cedar Rapids on April 13th. It’s going to be held at Extravaganza 6(66).

13. Hayai_JiJi

Re: ...

Yes are you going? I know I am:)

14. Cros

Cros Member

I was going to talk to you about it this Saturday, but I'm about 80% sure I can go. The only problem might be transportation. I won't know for sure until I get some responses from the Tekken players I e-mailed, and/or Kingfan gives times for tournament entries/starts.

VF4, TTT and T4 on the 13th. And then T4 again on the 20~21. Looks like I have a lot of practicing to do...

15. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

gack...April 13th eh? I haven't made a VF related road trip since before I got married...guess I better get this one in before I start classes this summer (and dammit, I'm gonna finish my degree this time!)

16. Hayai_JiJi

so your coming Nutlog? this trip is getting better and better:)

17. Zero-chan

I'll definitely be at the Cedar Rapids tourney... I'll probably be providing Kingfan with another Japanese PS2 for VF4... and FV2.

18. Fly_Lei_Fei

Fly_Lei_Fei Member

This is a pretty old post but I live in Bellevue. I've been thinking of trying to find some local VF players. I'm currently working hard at learning Lei-Fei. >-P

19. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    Welcome! Well if you live in bellevue then you might want to drive out to Omaha, and head to the FAMILY FUN CENTER on friday and saturdays. LONELYFIGHTER who always post here and is a very good opponent, is always there on those 2 days. If you are lucky you will also find NUTLOG, and SAUSAGE MAN who are also extremely good opponents. Those guys are always up for playing vf, granted they have the time or they know of the event ahead of time. Why don't you try and contact them by sending them a private message, and who knows maybe you can set something up for the future. If I was still in Omaha, you would definitely find me there on those 2 days as well. But I am in NYC right now, and have no plans to return to Omaha, until next year some time /versus/images/icons/frown.gif . Well I hope that helps you out in your quest to becoming a great vf player. Good luck! Oh almost forgot, I will be in Omaha on april 19th-21st. So look for me in the FUN CENTER all weekend long for the tournies that they will be throwing that weekend. Maybe we can play a couple of games together. I am sure everyone else will be there that weekend, so try and make it if you can. Peace!

20. Cros

Cros Member

I also go to FFC. I'll usaully be there on Saturdays.