1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Chests

Discussion in 'Quest, Kumite and Items' started by IronFists, Sep 30, 2006.

1. IronFists

IronFists Member

does anybody have a pic or vid of somebody getting a flame chest? I've been playing this for months and never seen one.

2. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Um, what?

The only "chests" I've seen during a prize match are the standard, blue and gold (or is it red?).

But why do you care?

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Well, they do exist.

Firstly, you need to satisfy the criteria to be eligible for a chance to even have a flame chest (from the ITEMS FAQ: 10th dan or greater, 400+ matches).

Secondly, it helps if you can play a lot continuously. Sometimes I get this feeling that people don't play long enough continously, and will often exit if they're losing just to keep their win/loss record favourable. I'm not saying you do this, but if you do, don't! /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Apart from that, it really is a lottery. Just keep playing.

4. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    [ QUOTE ]
    Myke said:

Well, they do exist.

Firstly, you need to satisfy the criteria to be eligible for a chance to even have a flame chest (from the ITEMS FAQ: 10th dan or greater, 400+ matches).

Secondly, it helps if you can play a lot continuously. Sometimes I get this feeling that people don't play long enough continously, and will often exit if they're losing just to keep their win/loss record favourable. I'm not saying you do this, but if you do, don't! /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Apart from that, it really is a lottery. Just keep playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if you stop playing to save your games once you beaten a person of your ranking when you Dan ranked or higher. I do this often I so I will be guarateed a quicker route to getting ranked when I reset and play again. I will save my games everytime I get an item or get a point closer to ranking everytime even if it breaks a winning streak I don't care. I know of people as well that will quit only during ranking matches or people of their ranking that would mean a point toward advancement if they are losing. They won't quit to keep their record perfect they will do it so they don't get points towards demotion would you consider that wrong too?

5. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    You're kind of cheating (the game and yourself) by saving every time you win a same-ranked match and sort of missing the point to the ranking system. Ranking up shouldn't be a race. You should really look at the ranking system as a by product of the entire game -- it's there to let you know how you're going, and that's it. If you find yourself constantly hovering around a particular rank, don't despair and don't get frustrated! You just need to improve your skill to help you break through. Believe me when I say that it's an extremely satisfying and rewarding feeling to finally get that promotion you've constantly chipped away at for a long time.

That excitement and tension from ranking matches is part of the fun of VF! Don't look at it as a chore that you must constantly stumble and save your way through in order to progress. If you're just fixated on attaining the highest rank and collecting all items, then you're really missing out.

6. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Something tells me you play Quest a whole lot more then you let on Myke /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. shadowmaster

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    I see no issue with people that genuinely enjoys playing the game as it should be played for fun. I see no problem in that, I try to do the same thing too but VF is such a hard game that fun can be replaced with disgust and frustration in a hurry. Anyone that plays the game alot knows that. That is why I don't get too involved in the every little detail because it would frustrate me and I would want to snap my controller in half so I don't get too much into the most insignificant details as much. I have broken far too many controllers already playing VF

8. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    shadowmaster: the short answer to your problem is to improve your skill. If you can improve to the point where losses against the CPU no longer frustrate you, and you understand why it is that you lost, then consider that as a major achievement. Exactly how do you imrpove to that point? Well, unfortunately, there is no short answer to that.

Jerky, I'm one of the biggest advocates for Quest mode around! /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It's great training for defensive techniques, reaction/hit-checking and motor skills in general.

9. shadowmaster

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    [ QUOTE ]
    Myke said:

shadowmaster: the short answer to your problem is to improve your skill. If you can improve to the point where losses against the CPU no longer frustrate you, and you understand why it is that you lost, then consider that as a major achievement. Exactly how do you imrpove to that point? Well, unfortunately, there is no short answer to that.

Jerky, I'm one of the biggest advocates for Quest mode around! /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It's great training for defensive techniques, reaction/hit-checking and motor skills in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

I look to do that every time I play but would rather get better through playing not through practice mode. I also think about what I did while I am not playing to take those lessons to heart. I know exactly why I lose and I am at a point now where I can beat any one CPU opponent when I play my game, if I lose I know exactly why and look to avoid it the next time. The one thing about me is that a lose will always bother me even if I learn from it and overcome it, it will still bother me and cause frustration. Thanks for the advise but saying you have to improve your skills is the default answer I already know and look to do anytime I play. Either way a lose will always frustrate me and that is why I like playing the game so much to turn my frustration into joy when I beat the hard CPU, if I didn't have it I wouldn't have a reason to play the game and improve.

10. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Hey shadowmaster, my post was really just a jab at our buddy Myke. I go into quest/training quite often myself.

11. IronFists

IronFists Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Sebo said:

Um, what?

The only "chests" I've seen during a prize match are the standard, blue and gold (or is it red?).

But why do you care?

[/ QUOTE ]

I "care" because I've never seen one, and was beginning to think that it was a false rumour. I mean, I've played quest for a couple hundred hours, and it STILL hasn't showed up. So I was just wondering.

12. titanicbutt

titanicbutt Member

as far as I know, they're just really really obscure. they do happen in quest, and I think you can only ever get one per character. I don't know if you ever get a second chance at one if you miss it the first time, however.

I'm pretty sure a red chest is a guaranteed item and not money.

13. Cephiros_VII

Cephiros_VII Well-Known Member

I had seen several flame chests in VS mode when playing with my brother, it's really nothing special, just makes particular match more interesting. Usually flame chests contain gold ~1800 /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif. You don't have to get one to collect all items because all items can be found in blue and gold chests. To see flame chest, just play alot of matches in VS in a row (like 100+).

14. IronFists

IronFists Member

okay. thanks! *goes and tries to get a flame chest*