1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Creating movies

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Myke, Dec 14, 1999.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    What do I need in terms of hardware and software in order to begin creating movies of my own? What video capture cards do you recommend? Has anyone used, or had experience with dazzle dvc products? http://www.dazzle.com .. looks pretty interesting, but costs around $220+ USD. Any advice would be appreciated.

__
    m y k e
    how ya gonna win when ya ain't right within?

2. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Creating movies - question for CrewNYC ;)

Well, I know what stuff we've used in the past up here (VP's movies, God-Eat-God Productions, etc).

Any capture card will do, really - being able to capture at 640x480 would be nice for higher quality of course. A great editing tool is AVI-Edit, I think you can get this at download.com. The movies themselves are put together with Adobe Premiere (v.5.0). Premiere rules - it has effects, frames transitions, etc. Fairly easy to use, requires some practice, but not ultracomplicated. If you want to add pictures or alter frames in any way, I would recommend using AVI-Edit to pull out the frame you want and alterations or additions to be done with something like Adobe Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro.
    Now, lastly you need mpg encoding - XingMPEG is what we've used in the past.

Now, recently speaking with GodEater - he really wants to know how CrewNYC encoded the 'asf' format as that compresses huge. Andy, Adam how'd you boys do that? What did you use?

Hope this helps - Myke, did you get my email?

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

3. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Re: Creating movies - question for CrewNYC ;)

All you have to do is download the Netshow encoder to create ASF files. You can get it from Microsofts website. I chose to encode clips in Custom mode, choose your file, I had a 48MB AVI file and then encode it anywhere from 400,000-800,000 kbps rate with Voxwear Meta Sound 8kbps Audio and Microsoft Mpeg-4 Video Codec V2 320x240 video size and 24fps, also increase the sharpness to 100%. You can chage settings at anytime after you input your choices from the Wizard. Sounds kind of complicated but when you get the encoder it's no harder than Xing.

CrewNYC

<font color=red>ORA! ORA! ORA!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

4. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Thanks Llanfair, that really helped. How about the actual raw capturing process though? You plug in your DC to the capture card, start recording, do a combo or two, stop recording, and that's it? How is the DC's output displayed? Full screen, or windowed, or is it optional?

Sorry for all the questions :) Oh, I got your email, and I replied as well.

__
    m y k e

5. Llanfair

Creating movies - two new ones!

Yup - that's exactly it. My DC is plugged directly into my computer and the display is not full screen, which is fine. So, then I try out a few things to warm up and when I fell that I've got the combo/whatever down to a science I click capture and combo away. This results in an AVI usually about 30M since it's raw capture. Then I edit the end bits off and compress - voila! Very simple, really. Although, sometimes certain combos can take forever to do if they require specific conditions.

The first time we ever did this was for Tekken 3. I was managing a small video game store as a summer job and we were hosting a Tekken 3 tournament. Godeater, Kbcat and myself captured loads of combos, whipped them together in Premiere with funky transitions and wrapped up the whole thing to Prodigy's Firestarter. It ruled. I looped the 8 min combo reel in the store above our sign-up table - people were amazed, they were like "Whoa! did Namco send you guys that?" ..."can I buy that?"...very cool.

Oh, btw, I was messing around with capturing last night and came up with these two clips - this only took about 25 mins to do both - so you can see it does not take that much time!

http://www3.sympatico.ca/llanfair/movies/Kage1.mpv
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/llanfair/movies/akira1.mpv

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Re: Creating movies - two new ones!

Hey Llanfair, I have a question. When you use your computer to capture the DC, does it display 60 fps while recording? Whenever I record something, while capturing, the output is reduced to 30 fps, which is kinda annoying since it throws my timing off a bit.

ice-9 | Sennin

7. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Thanks again Llanfair! Those two little flicks were sweet :) Any chance of scoping out that Tekken movie you did?

__
    m y k e

8. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the Tekken movies has been lost. Although, I do still have all of the combo AVIs on a CDR somewhere... It could be remade... Still the nicest Tekken movies are a www.tekken.net

cheers,

<font face="Arial, Helvetica" color="#3366ff">kbcat</font>

9. Llanfair

er...hmm...no, I think I record at 30 fps as well. 60 would be nice. ;) Whoa, this throws off your timing? Interesting. Perhaps you're just very finely tuned...hehe ;) I've never noticed any difference myself, I just hit capture and play like normal. ;)

cheers,

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I'm just really bad at adjusting my fingers/reflexes...especially when it comes to control. That's why I struggle so much on sticks that I am unfamiliar with...Also, I think it's a mental thing as well. When I know it's going at 30 fps...I can't help but feel that I'm nauseatingly out of control...

ice-9 | Sennin