1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you spend a lot of time in Dojo?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by HokutoNoCat, Mar 18, 2008.

1. HokutoNoCat

HokutoNoCat Well-Known Member

Was just wondering ...
    Since i'm getting stuck at a crappy level of play atm, I decided to work a bit more Seri0sly on VF to become some kind of mystic magical super-warrior. Yeah, Seri0sly.
    Anyway, I know my biggest flaw, the first is my crappy defense (too much LP'ing in difficult situations, no fuzzy, no TE so i'm a sorta punching ball for advance players) and the second one is that I miss roughly like 50% of my moves ... Lol.
    But not only moves and combo, I also fumble a lot my crouch dashes and offensive moves (as akira I usually launch some total random SPoD's instead of OM, the funny shit is that they often hit cause of the randomness but I never buffer the end of the combo /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif )
    So I guess I should spend some time in dojo to train all that, especially to get my crouchdashes fluid and include them in my flowcharts. And ofc, train moves and combos to get them with consistency, i'm still having a hard time with DLC and buffered doublepalm.
    Well, I was curi0us about your playtime in the dojo, do you use it often? To train combos? flowchart? advance stuff@triple ETE? just to hang around while watching a pron or some crappy tv serie?

2. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

I'm a Kage player spend most of my time in Dojo. I do 100 DPoDs a day (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif), 50 on each side. I do 50 /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif a day as well. I used to practice TFT combos alot, but they're not that hard in VF5. I do practice it from time to time, since I still don't want to miss that knee after the TFT.

I practice fuzzy. I try do it everyday and I should, but I've been slacking of on it lately. Same thing with ETEG, TEG. I practice combos per character too.

I use Quest Mode to apply what I practiced in a match setting with the AI as my sparring partner. Don't care if I win here or not, I don't try to play guessing games with the AI as I feel it's futile. I play machi in Quest and try to react properly to things. Sometimes I try offensive set-ups. Quest is also useful to get familiar with the move sets of the other characters.

I use on-line to see different flow-charts other people use. I then try to figure out why they use it or not. Some people on Xbox Live learned to play the game on-line and it shows as they react well through lag. I make notes of those situations and make sure that I know what exactly works in those situations without lag (the way the game was designed).

I don't play on-line much because I don't want to develop bad habits pertaining to lag. I'm lucky enough to have local competition to make this choice. Also, I'm still able to go to gatherings all over the country.

A recording feature will help me immensely, but one can dream no?

3. HokutoNoCat

Sorry, i'm not good enough in english to catch all the subtiles variations. So I didn't understood if this was kinda ironic (or sarcasm as you like to say there ^_^) but I guess this is not Seri0s.

4. Oioron

It's okay dude. I'm not being sarcastic at all with my post. This is what I do mostly when I play VF at home.

ps. If you're referring to my signature "Why so serious?" It's from the upcoming Batman movie The Dark Knight. It's Joker's catch phrase. I'm just a Batman fan boy and can't wait to see the movie =)

5. HokutoNoCat

So you really do 100 times the same move each day?
    Ok, so I can understand why I miss my moves.
    I hardly can train in dojo 15 straight minutes.

6. Oioron

I had the same problem as you before, so I don't want to miss the DPoD anymore. It's also not an easy move to do. 100 DPoDs doesn't take me that long anymore, not even 15 minutes. Not everyone can do this as can be boring to some. It may become a chore for some people too.

I just feel that missing it in a match is much more cumbersome.

7. smb

smb Well-Known Member

What is this flow chart you are speaking of???

8. HokutoNoCat

I understand the concept but I can't explain it clearly in english, sorry. Some english speaking player will help you there.
    Flowcharts are the way you mix up "attacke phases" including dash/crouchdasher/evades, moves and throws. It's the way to setup all this things to get a good and efficient offense with a good flow.

9. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    I used to live in Dojo mode in VF4. But due to the lack of a record feature, I can only tolerate Dojo mode for about 10 minutes then literally my eyes get heavy and I want to sleep. Christ I wish they would release a patch for record feature.

10. Griever

Griever Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Griever_PL
    Yeah, ver.B dojo sucks... however I still spend more or less 4 hours a week in there /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif When there is almost no competition I don't want my fingers to get stiff on the max dmg combos /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

11. smb

smb Well-Known Member

Hey konjou--can you give me any heads up on the flow chart mentioned above

12. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    He isn't being specific. He means flowchart as a whole. i.e. a flow chart can be something as simple as(see below... this is in reference to a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif flowchart for Akira. Sorry but the chart won't post the way I want it to look. Start the flow chart at the middle /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif first and then look at the 3 branch options you have to choose from. );

|--> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif
    |
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif ---> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    |
    |--> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif

So Oiorion is just speaking of checking out the sequences that players like to use often and then compare that to his own or learn from it if it's useful to his style.

13. Oioron

Konjou beat me to it, I'm suddenly busy at work =(. So yeah, what Konjou said.

Although, my reason for watching flow-charts was mainly to try to see the mindset behind by looking at it theory wise or from more observation. Even the beginners were interesting. I tried to figure out why they would choose these flow-charts and why they thought it worked.

This way it also helps me pay attention to the game and my opponent in a different level than I used to.

14. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

I have actually started spending a lot of time in the Command Time Attack mode. I realize part of the speed is how quickly you cancel moves with the Back button, but it helps me practice my focus, my execution and familiarity with the movelist. It's also a direct way to monitor my progress thanks to the time counter.

Then like Oioron, I've began practicing tougher moves, usually 10 on each side, or 20 on each side, depending on the time I'm allowed. This has helped me a lot lately.

15. HokutoNoCat

Btw, I still have a fukking hard time to buffer double palm on p2. It's the 1,1 motion that gives me so much difficulty. Do you guys use your fingers to pull off the stick to get to the 1 position ou du you push it up with your thumb?
    Atm I'm pulling it with my fingers but it seems to slow to be consistent ...

16. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

akiras dont use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif!!? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif that move is insane!

--

as for me, i hardly go to dojo, i already know the frames, hit classes and disadvantage classes.

if an opponent gets me inside flow charts, they usually use yomi.

- hopping low
    - ducking high
    - ducking mids
    - full curculars
    - special move proporties

tends to force the reaction.

17. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I use dojo to get timings down for things that I want to be mechanical. Like OMP when I see someone TRing on me, getting eileen's 3rd just frame kick, combos that rely on hit checking. ETE's in multiple directions, I can do up to 3 in training but in practice it's tuff cuz I haven't made it mechanical enough yet.

18. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    I do quite a bit of dojo training but the higher level pai combos I do are done mainly in dojo since I keep things as simple as possible in online play since I see them as just as effective as higher level combos. I can a wide variety of higher level pai combos like /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif after a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, double bounce combos with the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and bounce combos after a BT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. I will pick and choose my spots to use them once in a while but I use dojo to keep myself consistence in doing these combos so when I do them I don't goof off with them too badly

19. Jaytech

Jaytech Well-Known Member

yeah, i do. still got some movelists to learn.

20. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

I spend absolutely no time in the dojo....and it shows.