1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone miss Taka-Arashi or the 3D backgrounds

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by soulmachine, Feb 2, 2002.

1. soulmachine

soulmachine Well-Known Member

I know the backgrounds in VF4 are 3D, but I mean "does anyone miss the environmental variety of VF3tb's stages?"

Ditto for Taka-Arashi. I didn't really use him much, but I thought he was much more interesting in concept than execution.

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I don't find that I miss either. I do think the VF3 stages were more appealing just because there was no requirement that they be flat and square, and therefore things look less symmetrical. But that's just aesthetics. For gameplay, flat rings and no taka is fine.

3. soulmachine

Re: Does anyone miss Taka-Arashi or the 3D backgro

I agree. Taka was never going to make my most-played-as list (personal preference), but not too many people seem brokenhearted at his exclusion.

On the background topic, I thought they were awesome when VF3 first hit arcades, but when I go back and play the Dreamcast version, I sometimes feel like they're more of a distraction than anything else. The new variety of ring sizes in VF4 adds enough strategy for characters who differ in close-range/long-range tactics to keep me satisfied. It keeps matches quick and intense without undue complication. Still, I miss, aesthetically, Sarah's subway stage and Aoi's snowy-springs stage. They were so nice to look at.

I find it kind of funny how Tekken 4 has adopted VF3-style backgrounds, and DOA3 has gone over-the-top with their BG's while VF4 has "regressed" into smaller, more finite arenas.

One thing I really like about the new BG's is the inclusion of walled arenas. This keeps fights going til the finish in most cases, and in my opinion, that is the worst thing about Soul Calibur, is that it is way to easy to ring someone out in that game.

4. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Well-Known Member

Don't forget that you can get ringed out almost as often in VF4. The great thing is the variety between open stages, cages, and breakable walls. And of course there are the unbreakable low walls I'm always moonsaulting over (D'OH).

BTW, one thing I liked about SC was that you couldn't back out of a ring by accident; you have to be hit.

5. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Re: RO in SC

Actually on the topic of RingOuts.. generally I only ring out if the combo would've ended it anyway in SC. Tho I've played many players in VF and SC that just go for RO.

Otherwise in VF4 is actually much harder to RO so its actually a valid tactic. As long as its not your primary option to go for RO then its fine in my books. Using RO as last resort or when oppurtunity arises is very valid as well. A win is a win.

Its pretty hard to get RO as there's usually something you could've done about it. Its important to apply RO in some instances to press the advantage (position wise) and limit opponents options.

Taka-Arashi is missed but VF4 is a success with or without him.

6. ken

ken Well-Known Member

You actually can back out of the ring.. G+ub makes you hop over the ring.. or any other hopping attack.

7. soulmachine

Well, I know that you can ring-or be rung-out of the arenas in VF4, but it's nice that it is much harder to do so. Generally, on the default settings, I find RO's to be about a 5% occurence in matches. Most of the time it's a fight to the finish.

One of my friends has this annoying tactic of slpping me for a hit, then backing away for the remainder of the match in the hopes of winning by Times Up! I call him a pussy, he calls his tactics "strategy." I unplug his controller. It's all good fun.

But clearly he is more enamored of wins than he is the quality of the match. Boo to him!

8. Luya

Luya Active Member

As Takaharashi veteran player, I kinda missed him. Some moves could be tweaked especially his floating potentials. I know VF as a fighting game that offer different martial arts character thus left me wonder why removing sumo.

I think those who don't like varied environemnt stages(including some so-called VF experts) are too afraid to think in 3d(uh oh, fell the debate) . Grapple characters like Jeffry suffer the step back in flat ring. I'm also disappointed to the lack of block animation as well.

9. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I think those who don't like varied environemnt stages(including some so-called VF experts) are too afraid to think in 3d(uh oh, fell the debate) .

Laff, before posting flamebait, try not to give the opponent ammunition in the form of: As Takaharashi veteran player ...

most veterans have been playing their characters of choice long enough to notice how their name is spelled.

10. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

I think square arenas are better, most of the VF3 players
    I've played select Akira's Dojo in Vs matchups anyway. I do
    miss the E button, low punch, and the way dodges work in
    VF3 though.

IMO, VF4 is a better game, but game balance is not quite
    there, for now that is.

11. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I believe Ver C to be the last modification to the game...until they release TB or something else in the arcade
    If so, they'll probably release a upgrade disc or something for the ps2

Let's hope Ver C makes the game even fairer...right now I just hate Akira n Shun with a deeeeeep passion.

12. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

It is??!! I haven't play Ver.C yet so I can't comment, but
    I saw somewhere(um...VFDC actually) that some characters
    have been powered down quite a bit, so Ver.C is probably
    better balanced than Ver.B.

Heh...yeah, Akira and Shun are over-powered in Ver.B, but I
    play an over-powered Lau, so I'm not worried. /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

13. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

muahaha!
    I forgot to put Lau in my list....easy combos..huge damage haha!

IMO, Ver C could very well be the last upgrade..until they deem fit to put out Ver D or whatever...then they better give us an upgrade disc for the ps2 as well..

worst thing that can happen to us is Sega porting Ver D (if they DO INDEED DECIDE TO) to Xbox...gah.....the pain of having to buy another new joystick!

14. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Summers, don't you play an overpowered Jacky?? Heh heh heh...

15. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

WHile I have not played VF4 yet, I can tell you that I think it IS a step back to going to just square rings. I think with the technology and time lapse since 3, varried terrain could of been encorperated even more into gameplay and could of fleshed out vf4 more. Imagine, not just having elevation, but fighters move a bit slower in water, sand, snow? Little things like that, for me personally, add to the game. It helps keep a bit of that randomness that is always present when there is violent conflict.

16. soulmachine

Well, VF4 does actually feature water, sand and snow, but they do not seem to affect you.

17. DMan

DMan Well-Known Member

Ditto for Taka-Arashi. I didn't really use him much, but I thought he was much more interesting in concept than execution.

I'm probably the only one who liked him, but Taka was one of my favorite characters in VF3! I hope he is hidden in the ps2 version somewhere. VF doesn't have that many characters so I don't understand how they could justify removing one.

-DMan-

18. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

LOL~
    That's why I am glad they made those changes to Jacky in Ver C...Like I told myke when he was down here...those changes makes me a much more responsible player...

19. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

VF doesn't have that many characters because Sega is making complete characters with thousands of polys, hundreds of moves, and little or no recycling of attacks and animations. Taka won't be hidden in there...

20. DMan

DMan Well-Known Member

VF doesn't have that many characters because Sega is making complete characters with thousands of polys, hundreds of moves, and little or no recycling of attacks and animations.

I know, i've played VF since VF1. I'm just dissapointed with them removing Taka :-(
    Oh well that won't stop me from enjoying VF4. I'm already enjoying it since the guys around here actually like VF4 now. I'll finally have some competition to play against.
    -DMan-