1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Essential hit-check moves?

Discussion in 'Jacky' started by social_ruin, Apr 17, 2010.

1. social_ruin

social_ruin Well-Known Member

I just started fooling around with jacky, and i remember some people saying they didn't like him cause you couldn't hit -check certain moves.

It always takes me a bit to figure out which moves i should be hit-checking, so i was wondering what moves are essential to hit check with Jacky (and perhaps why if it's not obvious). And what moves are really tough to hit-check in lag? I know someone is gonna say all moves should be hit-checked, and i try, but which ones should i pay special attention too?

Thanks.

2. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    6P.

It combos on normal hit but only on fastest input so you can't check for normal hit.

Check for CH and stagger then add the K.

I have a hard time checking it in lag, although that goes for just about all movesa that you need to confirm.

You can and should be checking 4P for CH as well.

His K+G full circular can be hit checked for the 2K+G followup.

2K+G can be checked for CH.

3P~ can be checked for CH to complete the string.

Dunno about 1P+K, I never use it.

There's probably some more but those are what I use most (with the exception of 2K+G, don't give that move enough love).

Pay special attention to your elbow and 4P.

3. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

With his excellent striking ability jacky's hitchecking is relegated with 6p mainly. You can hitcheck 3p only on counterhit. Shit who need hitchecking with the terrifiying Sword cancel?
    I spent days in Dojo learning this move from all angles and situations. I even run drills with this move to ensuethat its second nature.

I don't think your ready for those drills yets Social lol!!!

4. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Hit check 7K+G as well. if it hits you get to pelvic thrust the screen. If not then star putting in throw escapes.

5. social_ruin

social_ruin Well-Known Member

Thanks Seidon for breaking it down for me. I appreciate it.

SDS are u referring to 6_kG, or shuffle then sword cancel...or both?
    And hell yeah those are beast, and i noticed u did a good job on the 6_kG when we played.

The cancels are really fun, i'm enjoying practicing those. [​IMG]

6. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    There's a certain point in the iageri where you can cancel the kick before actually kicking and your opponent does the animation as if they blocked it.

Don't know what the deal with that is.

7. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

6_kG.

You must know that move. I know that move terrifies a lot of people so i tend to overabuse it because its safe and i can always stay in advantage. Besides in R his meaty combos involve double iageri's from all angles. Im just preparing myself for it.

I see this first hand i assume its the lag Seidon. Pretty scary shit.

8. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Yeah, it would make sense for it to be due to lag. Every time it happens I get weirded out though. Never seen it happen in a juggle only ever in open play.

I like to think that Jacky is kicking faster than I can see. Makes me feel like a badass.

9. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

[6][P][K] is hitcheckable on normal hit too, just harder.

An essential move to hitcheck with Jacky is [1][P][K] as you do not want to whiff the kick over their heads. On counter hit it's fairly easy as you just need to check for the big yellow spark, but on mC you will need to hitcheck by looking at the opponent's actions before [1][P] hits.

Equally essential is hitchecking [P]+[K] into the "correct" followups. If it hits on counter hit or minor counter you will want to do [P]+[K][P] to get the combo (easily checked by just seeing if they float or not). If it hits on normal hit it's best to complete it with [P]+[K][K] as this gives better options to work with on a standing opponent (easily checked by just watching for the stagger icon). If [P]+[K] lands on block it's wisest to not followup at all since both followups are high. If people start to punish your [P]+[K] then it might be a good idea to throw out [P]+[K][K] from time to time to make people hesitant in trying to punish you.

10. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I completely forgot about beat knuckle.

I guess I just kinda took it for granted.

Good call on 1PK though.

I thought 6PK only worked on fastest input. I'll practice checking it on normal hit of you can do that, it'd be really useful.

11. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

A nice trick: Common methods to hitcheck is to either check for hit lights or the opponent's actions, but another neat one is to check the life bar of the opponent. If it turns red, do the follow up, if it doesn't then don't [​IMG]

12. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Sound effects are different for CH too.

13. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    If you have vibration turned on when you're playing on a pad it vibrates on CH. Regardless of who got hit.

14. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I didn't know about the lifebar thing. Thanks for that.
    Practicing hit checking seems harder than it should. If only the CPU in dojo could be set to sometime block or give CH.

15. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    Are you sure lol

16. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

The VF4:Evo training mode for Brad gives an exercise where you have to hitcheck for [6][P][K]. I don't remember if Jacky had the same exercise.

Jeneric's information about [6][P][K] being hitcheckable on NH is news to me. In Evo it was a NC with the fastest timing only I believe. The Beat Knuckle hitchecking would drive me nuts. I'm way too retarded to hitcheck for three different kinds of hits and respond quickly enough.

17. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

If you're gonna use it, hitchecking [4][6][P][K] will yield more damage.

18. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Yep I'm sure Coz. I always thought the red was caused by you doing a combo. I think Jeneric is suggesting that its there when you can possibly do a combo, even after a single hit? I'll have to try for myself and see what's what.

19. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

What? If the lifebar turns red it's because you've dealt damage. Obviously you've hit in that situation.

20. Hazzerone

Hazzerone Well-Known Member

Next time you call me noob I'm just gonna respond with "HIT CHECK THREAD!"

Even this scrub knew about the lifebar. lolol.