1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

evade cancels with arcade stick

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by Superspacehero, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Superspacehero

Superspacehero Well-Known Member

Ive bought a hori edge like 6 months ago, but ive some real problem performing evade cancels while using the stick. It takes like forever to pin this down in dojo. Main problem is that if you hold 8 or 4 for two long, you wont evade. So you have to be delicate about pushing 8 and 4, while be super fast when proceeding to 44 or 66. After one hour in dojo, i learned this quite well on one side, while other side is still bad, since ive you to use different fingers and motion when pressing 44-66.

maybe off topic, but i still want to commemnt, that there are som big pros using arcade stick, which keeps me struggling:
    1 you can got o japan and play arcades there
    2 boxstepping is easer and less strenous on your muscles, especially boxstepping including 11 or 33, and you can do it faster than with a joypad
    3 l2 and r2 controls on joypad leads to execution problems not seen with arcade stick.
    4 41236 moves are easier
    5 I think the input lag with this arcade stick is better than a joypad.

However, my exeuction is still not top notch, and i feel like too much brain power during matches goes to thinking about the execution, which affects my gameplay and strategy during matches. It sure take some time to get this second nature, even after playing 1000 matches online.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  2. nou

nou Well-Known Member

You're not supposed to hold [2] or [8], just tap it. One of two thing will happen. You'll immediatley be at their side(Successful Evade) or you'll get a Failed Evade, which needs to be cancelled with a dash. Preferably [6][6] or[3][3]. I'd recommend starting with[3][3] as you'll duck under the possible delayd throw if you get a Failed Evade. This will later set up to use [3][3][5][G] (Fuzzy Guard) to creat a solid defense despit the Evade failing.

Try to keep in mind that you always want to cancel the Failed Evade with a dash since, without you'll be eating delay attacks. Try to make it a habit sooner so it becomes second nature faster. It'll be weird at first, but it comes pretty quick.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

It's good to get used to 11 and 33 for crouch dash inputs. I still like using 323 and 121 for crouchdashes, but it depends on what I intend to do with the CD.

When I ECD, I personally almost always use the 323 and 121 CD input. So my ECD is like this:

85323 or 25323

Stick Note: I mostly use Sanwa standard (primarily in Eightarc Fusion or HRAP FS, sometimes VSHG), but after one evening of using Steelbaz's Fighting Edge stick, it is very tempting to get one! After 20 minutes, I was very very happy with my execution on that stick and felt it might actually be my favorite (I wasn't really expecting that).