1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Fingers position on VSHG-First steps in using it.

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by SUGATA, Jun 20, 2008.

1. SUGATA

SUGATA Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SUGATA_RUS
    Finally i've got VSHG (cost 270$ include EMS to Russia). I am very happy!
    But i've never played before on arcade stick, especially in VF5.
    1)Please, can you advice to me, How to lay down(OPTIMAL position) your fingers on the (1)Stick and (2)G,P,K buttons.
    Especially important the Stick's lay down-for stable performed ECD or evade-backdash(aka stair-step) technics.

2)And possibly discribe the optimal method to learn(adaptate) arcade stick, your experiance.

2. Fulan

Fulan Well-Known Member

Re: Fingers position on VSHG-First steps in using

*double post

3. Fulan

Fulan Well-Known Member

4. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    1) How to use your hands on the VSHG

Left hand on stick

I turn my left hand palm inward and put the metal shaft between ring and pinky finger. My pointer finger and thumb oppose each other on the left and right sides of the ball. This can also be called wine-glass grip.

Right hand on buttons

I put my thumb on /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, pointer on /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, and middle on /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif.

2) Optimal method to adapt involves time and dedication. Always use the stick. Never switch back to pad. You will adapt.

5. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

I'll post this again because I think it can be helpful as there are various "correct" ways of handling the stick and holding it.

As far as I know there are three popular ways of holding the joystick:
    [​IMG]
    The Beat Knuckle

[​IMG]
    The Door Knob

[​IMG]
    The Wine Drinker

My hand position is pretty much between 'The Door Knob' and 'The Beat Knuckle'.

6. SUGATA

SUGATA Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SUGATA_RUS

Thank you all for your advises))

Several video of VF-top jap.players:
    http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=oymotWWd9Sk&feature=related
    http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=zFSWs6vsGIk
    http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=yjOr84wqTQU&feature=related
    http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=5zJEQlIrB9I&feature=related

As main position usually use this:
    1)LEFT HAND-on stick. Its palm is inward turned(look right).
    POINTER finger and THUMB-oppose each other on the left and right sides of the ball on its equator.
    MIDDLE finger-on the same side as Pointer, but slightly lower (on ball's low pole), ebrace the high end of metal shaft.
    RING and LITTLE finger-have 3 variants:
    -(Chibita lay down)Lay down on panel surface...(using as support, not moved).
    -("Wine-glass grip")The metal shaft is situated between Ring(is just under middle finger) and Little fingers.
    -(Many japaness players using this lay down)The metal shaft is situated between Middle and Ring fingers(Ring and Little fingers together on closer side of the shaft).

I've tested and saw several video..and find the most comfortable, functional and ergonomical fingers's position for me. It is (as Plaque described) "Wine-glass grip".

2)RIGHT HAND-on buttons.
    The main most popular variant is:
    THUMB- on G-button.
    POINTER finger- on P-button.
    MIDDLE finger- on K-button.

7. Fulan

Fulan Well-Known Member

I do like Plague decribed but seriously do whatever works. To illustrate I know someone who plays like this:

[​IMG]

He plays ST, 3S and GG I think.