1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Follow ups after 6P+K+G-> P+K aka Drink Spit Guard Break

Discussion in 'Shun' started by WiidN1NJ4, Jul 8, 2014.

1. WiidN1NJ4

WiidN1NJ4 Member

Greetings fellow Shuns. I've been attempting to use this move more offensively instead of just a taunt after a victory but I'm having difficulty finding useful setups for this move. I'll list what I know so far and perhaps any of you could give me some advice on how you utilize this specific setup.

[6][P][+][K][+][G]/[P][+][K] is +10 on Normal Hit +15 on Counter Hit with a little push back. After a successful normal hit (+10) on a guarding standing opponent my first choice is to instantly rush in with [6][6][P][+][G] which is effective if the opponent continues to guard after the break. However in practice this often leads me to missing my opportunity due to the opponent mashing [P][P][P], [2][P], or ducking/fuzzy.

Shun's fastest string is [4][6][P][P][P]/[P][+][K] at 11 frames which would still be guarded on block or simply countered with [2][P]. I often attempt to use [4][6][P][+][K] to keep the pressure at +6 on guard but I have been foiled many times by [2][P] or evading

I know there's no guaranteed damage so I should probably come up with a few different options so here's what I have thought of so far.

[6][P][+][K][+][G]/[P][+][K] (+10) Opponent continues Guarding Response: any [P][+][G] or

[6][P][+][K][+][G]/[P][+][K] (+10) Opponent mashes [P][P][P] Response: [4][6][P][P][P] (not sure?)

[6][P][+][K][+][G]/[P][+][K] (+10) Opponent mashes [2][P] or ducks Response: [6][K][+][G]/[4][3][P][+][K], [P]
    or [K][+][G] CHOU, [P][P]

[6][P][+][K][+][G]/[P][+][K] (+10) Opponent Fuzzy Guards Response: Any Delayed [P][+][G]

These "Responses" aren't really responding to anything as I would have to have an idea in advance of how my opponent would react to the guard break, which would take me landing it a few times to gauge the response and we all know skilled players don't often repeat themselves or let you drink uncontested.

I just wanted to see if I have overlooked an option or if any other players have some good ideas for keeping the flow.

Happy Drinking [DP]X40

2. Chill

Chill +40 DP Content Manager Shun Gold Supporter

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG
    The most annoying thing about this move is the push-back when it hits - What's the point of having a +10 guard break if your opponent is then out of range for a throw?! Compare it to other character's guard breaks such as Lau's, which will guarantee a combo, let alone a throw, and it seems a bit shite!

Anyway, you don't get much better advantage than +10 for a two choice situation, so I'd tend to use the advantage to go for either a big combo launcher ([8][K]+[G], [6][6][K], Chouwan) or throw. Low attacks like [1][K][K] or [2]+[K]+[G],[K][K] are also good as an 'unexpected' attack, but given that you have +10 advantage most of the time it's worth going for the big damage launchers.

Also I'd suggest if your opponent is going to fuzzy, you can use [6][K] or [4][6]+[P]+[K] which will keep your frame advantage if blocked.

3. Neonomide

Neonomide Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Neonomide
    At CH hit Shun gets +15 so 46P+K or 1P+K are guaranteed for some pain. Gotta check range though.