1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Future vf styles

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Calvin, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

What kind of martial arts styles would you like to see in the future vf characters? personally, i'd like to see some TKD. it's the martial art i take in real life. /versus/images/icons/cool.gif

ps, and don't flame me for this topic. whatever it may be for. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

2. 3of19

3of19 Well-Known Member

well, VF5 could be right around the corner, Sega is preparing to unveil their new Naomi 3 board sometime next year I guess (development was confirmed a couple of months back).
    It wouldn't be too far fetched to assume that one of the titles for the board is VF5 /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif
    I'd love to see AM2's take on Capoeira (sp?). Teak Won Do could be interesting as well, and I guess the Korean VF community would eb thrilled to see a Korean martial art in the game.
    The return of Taka would also be very appreciated.

3. SG-Lion

SG-Lion Well-Known Member

If TKD were to be in VF, personally, it will feels like Hwoarang in Tekken, whom I played.

Maybe Sega could put in Silat or Kalari Payat or Kali. This is more for educational purpose for VF player. Just a thought on mine /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

So far, combining Tekken and VF, I have seen/learned about TaeKwonDo (hwoarang), Pak Kua style (Akira), Animal-based Shaolin-style (Lei and LeiFei surprisingly they have same surname /versus/images/icons/smile.gif), grappling/wrestling-based style (king/armor and jeffrey/wolf) , Aikido (Aoi) and list goes on...

Sg-Lion

4. Two_Bit_Mage

Two_Bit_Mage Well-Known Member

I dunno, Monkey kung fu?

5. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Weapon combat

6. Valiance

Valiance Well-Known Member

No weapons!

7. 3of19

3of19 Well-Known Member

IIRC Sega is tinkering with a weapons based fighter at the moment (could just be a rumor of course, can't remember where I got it from).

8. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

sega am3's last bronx was more or less a wepon-based VF2 (although with the ability to front roll, and heavily based on move cancling combos)

i hope it gets a rebirth /versus/images/icons/cool.gif

9. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

one thing for sure, since they have brad burns now, completely kill vanessas Muy thai stance, not many people use it anyways. And increase her vale tudo stance a lot more. I love what they did with the mount positions in evo, if they can develop the valetudo style more, itll be more interesting, well atleast for me.

As for new styles, TKD and Boxing are probably the only popular martial arts thats not in VF, Not sure how TKD will work in VF pretty interesting to see what sega would do if they made one.

Maybe the can add wushu, to attract more american flair style players. What i would like to see, in maybe the next home console release of VF is a joke hidden character. A ryu type that throws fireballs and hurricane kicks all that improbably magical stuff /versus/images/icons/wink.gif Nothing too extensive of a moves list, just something to have fun with, like gon was in tekken.

10. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Only if the character is disabled in versus play.

11. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

A traditional style of TKD, not olympic crap
    Krav-maga
    Capoeira regional
    Boxing
    Tai-Chi.
    Monkey Kung fu, or a stance dependant northern kung fu.

12. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Tai Ji

13. Shadowdean

blah, whatever...
    Tai-Chi,
    Taiji
    Taji-chuan....

14. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Yeah, TKD would be cool to see, although some of Sarah's stuff is sort of TKDish. Have you guys ever seen Best of the Best? Corny movie, but that Dae Han guy did some of the most fantastic TKD moves I've seen- some fictionalized, of course. Someone like that in VF would be very welcome.

I think lot of Pai's moves are Tai Chi, although with also with fictional flair. It'd be cool to see her made more pure Tai Chi.

Boxing is an awesome martial art in real life, but in a game.. well, I think it'd be kinda dull - I think it'd be like a T4 jab fest.

15. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

I agree with agios_katastrof I don't know why they call Sarah 's stuff JKD.
    I think it's more TKD like (Flamingo stance, Dragon cannon etc are moves that were used by Howarang in TK) but I'm not to deep into martial arts so I may be wrong /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

16. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Officially Sarah's style is now Martial Arts in Evo. I put this down to her abandonment of the Jeet Kune Do philosophy and to emphasise her varied training via J6 (consult your VF2 manual). I think of her technique as Freestyle; an amalgamation of many techniques that are geared towards two key strengths, her legs and her speed.

You may still call this Jeet Kune Do but, if you don't follow the system/philosophy then are you truly a JKD practitioner? I don't think you are.

For example, she uses knees, elbows and side kicks with the inside of her foot like a Muay Thai practitioner. Four of her throws: [P]+[G], [P]+[G] (from behind the opponent), [9][P]+[G] and [6][6][P]+[G] are derived from Pro Wrestling. She punches, chops and backhands like a Jeet Kune Do practitioner. And of course, the vast majority of her kicks and the <font color="pink">Flamingo</font color> stance resemble Tae Kwon Do.

The above is a strong argument for her diverse schooling.

17. agios_katastrof

Ok, I haven't practiced TKD since I was a little boy in Korea, so perhaps I'm really out of touch, but quite frankly, I've never heard of the "Flamingo Stance" in TKD, before Tekken. Hell, flamingos don't even exist in Korea. I can't imagine a martial artist leaving him/herself in such a vunerable position either. I could be very wrong.

Anyway, Sarah does indeed some some genuine looking TKD kicks, but yeah, she most definitely practices a blend, with lots of fiction. I mean you don't see those Taki jumps in TKD. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif I would still call it JKD, actually. That's what JKD basically is - you use what works for you, for the given circumstances.

18. Shadowdean

LOL...how true..thank you...
    Pai is definatly NOT tai-chi....hell, AOI is more tai-chi'sh than anybody else...Lei-Fang from DOA series does a half way decent representation of the philosophy of tai-chi and some of the more universal strikes...

19. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

I think VF needs less widely known martial arts, alond the lines of Koen-Ken. Another ancient martial art. Tae Kwon Do would be cool too. And it would not play anything like Hworang because VF plays nothing like Tekken.

20. agios_katastrof

Pai - you don't think her Sway Step stance looks like Tai Chi? I don't know much about Tai Chi, and I'm not saying that Pai is a good representation of it, but I think some of her moves are modeled after it.

Aoi - Aki-jujitsu is a MA that I'm actually familiar with. It is a soft art like Tai Chi, but Aoi actually does do pretty realistic aki-j, and some hapkido mixed in. Well, hapkido is actually sort of works on the same principles as aki-j. If you guys are interested, watch some of Steven Segal's films for aki-j, or Bruce Lee's Game of Death for hapkido - that Korean guy that Lee fights before Kareem, would be the hapkido guy. Anyway, between Segal and this Korean guy, you'll be seeing a LOT of Aoi's moves. You'll even see the Korean guy get into what looks like the YY stance. But not the strikes, however. Aki-j and hapkido are both heavy on throws/reversals, and sparse on strikes- so Sega apparently just made up a whole bunch of fictional strikes for Aoi.