1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting back on form

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Elite, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Having just spent 2 weeks in america and not so much as touching VF for the duration, I appear to have become.....well....shit actually.

Anyone had this problem and know some good tricks to get back up to scratch?

2. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

Come on man, 2 weeks is not that bad /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Try going for months. Now that can make you rusty....

Anyways, I guess playing your local competition should put you back in form /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

3. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    I use Akira. I'm coming back to VF after about a month off. I get back to form by going to free training and going through my float combos and MC follow-ups for about a couple hours. I'll repeat every other day. Quest mode helps a little, too.

Remember that if you play against people that practice regularly, they've had two weeks to improve in your absence. Your skills may not have fallen off as much as their's have increased.

Good luck.

4. SlimTYME

SlimTYME Well-Known Member

Ahhhh, the age old problem of getting crap. I actually have just come back from playing tekken/street fighter and have done throw escape challenge! Now I have fuzzy guarding to master, ( /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif).

My advice, get your ass on challenge mode! It'll get your timing and reflexes sharper again.

5. Aoi_Mei

Aoi_Mei Well-Known Member

I had about months break when my PS2 broke up, (just when I learned to do sgpm->DE consistenly /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif).
    It has took me a lot of free training&quest but Im (finally) getting it back, there´s really nothing more you can do but practise (as always)...

6. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Actually, it sometimes is a good thing to take a break.
    It'll allow you to rethink the way the game is played, drop old habits, and open up new horizons for the way you play. So maybe you're not necessarily losing it, maybe you just have realized things that you are doing wrong before, and is now relearning the game. Imo, it's a good thing.

7. TexasLion

TexasLion Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JunoSynth
    2 weeks is nothing! That's what I do on purpose when I'm not improving as much. I take 2 weeks off and I come back and I usually have improved in some areas I was lacking before. Whether it's a combo or step or dance with Lei Fei, you name it.

Listen to Srider. Taking breaks is good for any fighting game.

8. Mysterious_Red

Mysterious_Red Well-Known Member

i like the way you ppl describe vf as some sort of a rigorous physical and intellectual excersice that squeezes every ounce of energy flowing through your veins. well taking a break is opposite for me, when i come back and start gettin kicked--i discover something thats missing like *oh i used to use floaters or back dashed after this move stuff like that*