1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

God of War

Discussion in 'General' started by StoneColdSerb, Jul 25, 2005.

1. StoneColdSerb

StoneColdSerb Well-Known Member

Good day,

I don't usually post stuff like this, but I had to make an exception.
    Chances are that everybody here owns a PS2. If so, please do yoursefl a favour and get yourself "God of War".

It gave me 11 1/2 of the most entertaining gameplay hours I have had thus far. Superb level design, fantastic playability, brilliant combo-system, Tripple-A production values, no load times, and some of the best cut-scenes this side of Final Fantasy. It is simply an awesome game, albeit a bit short. Nonetheless, I'd rather have a game that thoroughly entertains me with original and new stuff for 11 hours than one where I have to backtrack and fight through the same stages several times but which lasts, say 20h.

Additionally (Capcom and everybody involved in the DMC series take note), GoW has some of the best re-spawn/checkpoints ever. This means that when you die, you don't have to fucking play the whole level again just because you missed a platform at the end. So I was able to finish the game without being frustrated once (unlike DMC3 which, while indubitably a great game, cost me about 5 years of my life in nerves.

Bottom line, go and play GoW, marvel at what is possible in this hardware generation, and then get ready for the new consoles to arrive.

Have a nice day.

SCS

2. neo_knight

neo_knight Member

How strange..i just finished playing the game myself and i wasnt so impressed. The combat system is a mish mash of DMC and Onimusha but not as good as either.
    Also, although u dont like DMC's hard difficulty and i dont like GOW's coz its too damn easy (probably why you werent frustrated). When you find how to defeat each enemy it getting through the game is a cruise. For me, the best and worst bits were the puzzles...they are some really cool ones except those which dont give you a good enough clue of how to pass them and just makes more confused.

Yeah the graphics and scale are really good but I couldnt help thinking when playing the game that 3 years (or was it more) on this game equals a complete waste of time. I still prefer MGS3...oh and btw I think GOW's story is just poor (about DMC3 level) for a game made in 3 years..

3. StoneColdSerb

No worries, tastes differ. This was not meant to be a GoW>DMC3 thread anyway.

One thing about difficulty, though. My problem with DMC3 is not with the enemies, or the difficulty involved in beating them. What annoyes me is that if at any point you die, you more or less have to replay the entire level. That is not difficult, it is annoying.

Therefore, to me at least, DMC3 was not so much a "difficult" game (if you know what you're doing you can beast most bosses without losing any energy). Rather, it was a frustrating game.

If you play GoW in "God Mode", I'd say the difficulty level is about the same as 'normal' in DMC3. But due to the respawn/checkpoints it's much more enjoyable. At least to me.

4. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    What does "DMC3" stand for?

5. KS_Vanessa

KS_Vanessa Well-Known Member

devil may cry 3

6. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

If you enjoyed GoW and the DMC series then I highly suggest you play Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. These are both equally great and the storylines are incredibly fantastic IMO. POP:SoT has the best story and POP:WW has a very nice combo system with quite good graphics. And the best part is that you can turn back time in the game. You mentioned that you hate it when you have to do a level all over again because because of an error, well in POP you can turn back time and undo that mistake (allbeit for about 8sec and each time you use reversal it costs you sand that you use to rewind, so that the game dosen't become easy).

Also if you like games like MGS3, then also try the Splinter Cell series; you might like them.

7. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

If you havent noticed, DMC3 and games like shinobi and contra (not that crappy new one) are throw backs to oldschool game play.

Where SKIIIIILLLLLZZZ matter!!
    its either put up or shut up, but whining isnt going to make you better.

anyways god of war is a fun game, but comparing it to DMC3 and telling capcom developers to take note, is like telling a sea slug to fuck a carrot

8. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    dNo't dRniK and& TyPE

[ QUOTE ]
    PhoenixDth said:

...telling a sea slug to fuck a carrot

[/ QUOTE ]

Cut back on the Soju when posting, man.

9. Painty_J

Painty_J Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    PhoenixDth said:

If you havent noticed, DMC3 and games like shinobi and contra (not that crappy new one) are throw backs to oldschool game play.

Where SKIIIIILLLLLZZZ matter!!

[/ QUOTE ]

all old games were twitch games

10. Painty_J

did i play the same game as anyone else here? when i played god of war it was pretty freakin tough at the end and even harder on god mode.

oh yeah you wimps are playing it on beginner

11. PhoenixDth

twitch is a skill
    i hear they pay you millions to hit a ball with a bat in this country

12. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    StoneColdSerb said:

One thing about difficulty, though. My problem with DMC3 is not with the enemies, or the difficulty involved in beating them. What annoyes me is that if at any point you die, you more or less have to replay the entire level. That is not difficult, it is annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah something they "added" to the U.S version, The jap version has none of this, with a straight up continue option (obviouslly your still penalised if going for rankings) , but is the perfect version to play in my opinion, since everyting is in english anyways, yes menu's too.

13. StoneColdSerb

Thanks Phoenix, I had indeed not noticed... Your wisdom is a beacon of light guiding me on my way out of the Kingdom of Scrubness. As an added bonus, next time I encounter a sea slug, I know what to do, cheers mate!
    (btw, Contra on the SNES probably also cost me several years of my life, damn, playing these games is worse than smoking).

Anyway, as previously mentioned it's not the difficulty I object to in DMC3, it's the lack of checkpoints/re-spawnpoints. As a result, I found GoW a lot more enjoyable than DMC3 (or, while we're at it, xbox Ninja Gaiden). Nonetheless, my original post was NOT meant to be about GoW>DMC3.

But, as you rightly say, DMC3 and NG require a lot more skill to beat than GoW (at least on 'normal' difficulty).

Akira, I loved the original PoP (yeah the one on the PC) but haven't tried the new versions. But if I see them somewhere cheap, I'll give them a shot. Thanks for reminding me. And yup, both MGS and Splinter Cell games are great.

Optimus, I didn't know that. A straight up continue function? That would really have been a life saver! Wish I had known that back when I bought the game.

As for 'twitch' games, Ikaruga is king.

14. Kimble

Kimble Well-Known Member

I'm playing God of War now too and i think it's a pretty good game. The combat system is fluid and the environments are amazing. The story is a bit on the weak side but it's still a damn fun game to play. /versus/images/graemlins/lol.gif

As for which game is best? MGS 3 is great but Resident Evil 4 owns it imo.

15. PhoenixDth

the lack of checkpoints is the whole point

remember playing mario or even the original ninja gaiden?

checkpoints are directly linked to difficulty of gameplay, ask any shinobi player.

16. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Unfortunately this type of game design does not work for all gamers. I've hardly any time to commit to video games. (save for my favorite franchises)

When you reach the end of high school life puts you in a -2 situation. Play and neglect your responsibilities or become one with the night and wake up shit tired for work the everyday.

Few games recently have been worthy of such sacrifice to me:

RE series
    MGS series
    DMC series
    VF series

Note: I beat RE4 in two days, and beat professional mode on a Sunday in one sitting breaking only for my biological needs. When I get attached to a game I forget to eat, sleep, go to the bathroom, take out the trash, etc.
    It's not healthy... some gamers really need to wake up and step AWAY from the TV.

The last part is not aimed at anyone. I'm a gamer to the end and just wanted to point out that it isn't necessarily fair to assume that people have time/desire to complete these types of games.

17. Painty_J

Checkpoints are linked to an artificial way to extend a game's lifespan. If the game is only difficult because it requires a superhuman skill for a long stretch of time, it's not fun. Fun difficulty comes from small challenges that are genuinely hard and improve your playing in the process. Slogging through a section of the game that is mind-numbingly easy except for the one puzzle/enemy at the end, just to die at the very end and have to redo it all because of some jackass checkpoint system, is not fun.

18. DissMaster

DissMaster Well-Known Member

Game Obsession

Only two games in the last year commanded my attention the way that the great older games did in years past:

Resident Evil 4 (for Gamecube)

and

Jade Empire (for XBox)

I played God of War and almost made it to the end. I stopped playing, and never finished it. I wasn't even stuck, just stopped caring. The game did have a great presentation. Big ups to whoever threw the boobs in there. They didn't look so real however. I never knew that the Ancient Greeks invented Breast Augmentation.

DMC3 I returned because it sucked. Some parts were hard, and to get to the hard bosses you had to go through the same, long boards every time. Way too tedious, and this from a fan of old school difficult games like 8-bit Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man, Castlevania etc.

I think that the difficulty in a lot of the 3d action games comes from figuring out what approach to take as oppossed to improving and utililizing your skill. About the only difficult 3d games I've played in recent years that had old school style challenges were Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine. Even Zelda has gone away from the fighting skill formula in favor of the puzzle and puzzling boss fights. I miss old school style personally. When will we get an updated Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link?

19. PhoenixDth

"fun" is relative

VF EQTEG and guard challenges anyone?

20. Painty_J

hardly anyone does the challenges for 'fun' they do them to get better.

doing a 4 minute stretch over in a game because you messed up the last jump is not 'fun', nor does it make you any better