1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Goh...hard to play?

Discussion in 'Goh' started by kuv_hai, Feb 27, 2004.

1. kuv_hai

kuv_hai Member

ok..i dont no about u guys..but i wanted to learn how to play goh..so im playing...after many many hours( and days) invested into him...im still getting my ass handed to me my 1st and 2nd dans..sometimes even 1 kyu (which is pretty bad) i have never..NEVER been mad a game once in my life but im starting to....but this Goh character just ...makes me soo angry at times...and i thought akira was a b|tch to play..he plays soo much ezier than Goh.. so anywayz.. is anyone having this diffculity of time playing him as well..or is it just me.. u no what they say..the higher mountain, the harder the hike, the the better view...i try to keep such attitude...but its just soo hard keeping it while getting kicked in the ass by 1st kyus...is goh really this hard to play...or am i just trying too hard......

GRRRR......need to vent...

2. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

My suggestion is for now if you're this frustrated and aren't getting anywhere then you should mess around with all his movelist first to get accustom to them so you're have a better feel of the character and the game. Than from there you can progress. It's obvious you're not that technical. Just a advice, don't mean to bash you or anything. Yeah Goh has a real unique style to him. You need more patiences and much better idea of the game to use him even at a decent level.

3. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

use standing [K] a lot

4. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

If science made it possible for Wolf to give birth to Akira's baby (and that baby was somehow infected with a strange, skin-decaying disease), that baby would be called Goh.

Keep this in mind and use uncounterable moves only(well, most of the time).

Basically, any time you get a successful hit with [P] or [2][P], you should follow up with a throw, or one of these moves:

[3][P], [4][3][P], [4][6][P], [4][P], [K], [3][K], [6][P]+[K], [6][6][P][4][P]+[G]

When you're at a disadvantage, that's when the "risky" moves work best:

[2] or [8][P]+[K]

[P]+[K] followed by throw escapes

or even [2_][6][P]+[K] when you're at a medium disadvantage (for example, when your [3][P] gets blocked)

Then read this:

http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=News&Number=66936&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

5. kuv_hai

kuv_hai Member

holy cow thats a freaking long faq...i could swear it is a novel...hahahah..is gonna take me a couple days to finish it...i dont understand some of it..what is MC..but anywayz...i play zangief in sf games and my friends and everyone else laughed at me for picking such a slow, behemoth, "flawed" character..but soon they began to shut up when i started to slam their asses on the floor....playing goth is kinda like playing zangief..but hes soo much harder than playing the red cyclone...i guess im not a "technical" fighter...can u plz explain what a technical fighter is..sorry for the noob ?..i dont understand the vf jargon...anywayz..my jacky is a 7th dan (which was soo ez to get him there) and my goth cant even beat the 3rd arcade quests...beating someone in 10 secs, going 15 straight wins with goth u must b kidding me....anywayz..ive taken some of u guys advice..and it helped me..im still getting my asses handed to me..but not as much as usual..if u guys have any more advice..plz share..

6. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

goh is definetly hard to play an effective game with compared to other characters. Read up on some documents, do the EVO tutorial (if you havent), and it'll all come. MC = major counter, counter hit, interrupting opponents attack.

7. ValeStyle_Gove

ValeStyle_Gove Well-Known Member

For quite some time I have considered Goh to be one of the best Mid-tiers, not nessisarily because of his power (although it is good) but because of his throw game. Its pretty much the best throwing guessing game besides wolf. Gohs cool, I tried him when be bought evolution, and I can still play him...somewhat.

8. forestsavior

forestsavior Member

I agree that Goh is much harder to play an effective game with than most other characters, especially when you're still learning him.

In my admittedly limited experience, Goh is pretty easy to pick up (no really difficult input commands, well-rounded moveset), but the real difficulty comes in mastering him.

I like to think of him as "Evil Akira" -- he's basically the polar opposite of Big Ack. Where Akira is a strike fiend, Goh is a throw fiend. While Akira's moves are geared primarily for aggressive play to raise the pace of the match, Goh is primarily geared to slow the match down with potent defensive play. Both have very utilitarian movesets, (i.e. no basic masher strings beyond [P][P] and [P][K]), but the vast majority of their moves are actually useful in serious play -- they have very few moves that are showy but useless.

My advice to you, kuv_hai, is this:

1. Read CreeD'S Goh FAQ on this site. This thing is insanely detailed and not a light read, but if you stick with it, it will greatly improve your Goh game. I speak from experience here.

2. While you're still learning with Goh, don't try to force anything. Play very conservatively -- backdash/backwards crouch dash a lot, do stupid but safe stuff like [P] -> throw and [2][P] -> throw, and abuse the HELL out of [K]. Until you learn how to recognize opportunities to take the initiative, it's a lot safer to just poke and prod the opponent safely rather than try and get in their face.

3. While you're still practicing how to effectively go semi-aggressive with Goh, concentrate on learning how to punish easy mistakes (i.e. guaranteed throw moves) and how to bait moves that'll let you land counter-hit knees and stuff for free combos or free throws.

4. Hang in there. Goh requires a different touch than Lau/Kage/Jacky/etc., but once you learn how he "flows", he is easy to learn and very rewarding to play.

9. kuv_hai

kuv_hai Member

i have been abusing the hell out of [K] and [3][K] and its kinda of working..im still having some trouble with the quickter characters in teh game..but its progress huh...thanks for the info boys...plz feel free to share more..

10. ouchthathurt

ouchthathurt Member

[ QUOTE ]
    DRE said:Basically, any time you get a successful hit with [P] or [2][P], you should follow up with a throw, or one of these moves:

[3][P], [4][3][P], [4][6][P], [4][P], [K], [3][K], [6][P]+[K], [6][6][P][4][P]+[G]

[/ QUOTE ]

is there anything special about [6][P]+[K]? i can't see why you'd pick it over [6][6][P][4][P]+[G], or even [6][6][P]+[K].

11. dwhomp

dwhomp Member

I would certainly agree that tempo is about the most important part of Goh play. I have problems with good Pai, Lau, and Brad play since their tempo seems to be in your face. Sarah as well has those qualities. It is important that I can slow the game down a bit.

As mentioned before [K] is your best friend. [3] [K], [2][K] is quite useable as well. Know your weapons and what distance they should be used.

12. SenoB

SenoB Well-Known Member

Hmmm... I've racked up about 3000 fights with Goh so far, about 2/3 of that is against people (console only) and I am still very much a newbie, so forgive any mistakes I make or whatever.

Goh is obviously much weaker in the strike area compared to Akira, but of course, almost all his moves set up for throws and easy mindgames. shrm's are MY best friend, just because they go thru a good deal of stuff even beyond the low punch / high attacks it's supposed to dodge (like I went thru some of Aoi's and Jacky's midkicks... for some bizarre reason).

Basically, use Goh's almost safe moves a lot, stay close, and poke (single P's. d+P, dash in and dash out on occasion, K (long-range), f,f+P+K is nice sometimes as an interrupt (kinda rare... but I like it)). This is very annoying in VS. Then you throw. Note: of course, this is a very simplified strategy. I recommend going through CreeD's guide and picking up the basics, like d+P hit to a standing K. Or a simple backdash to standing K. Or one ofmy favorites, the P to d/f+P(MC) or d+P(MC) to f+K mini flow. It works sometimes when your opponent likes to attack a lot.

On quicker characters, d/f + P is very useful up close. Sarah's Flamingo stance (and similar fast attack stances) can be blocked and stopped very easily with this or a jab or again, the backdash to standing K.

This is very brief and probably not all that helpful... but whatever.

13. Mysterious_Red

Mysterious_Red Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ouchthathurt said:

[ QUOTE ]
    DRE said:Basically, any time you get a successful hit with [P] or [2][P], you should follow up with a throw, or one of these moves:

[/ QUOTE ]

is there anything special about [6][P]+[K]? i can't see why you'd pick it over [6][6][P][4][P]+[G], or even [6][6][P]+[K].

[/ QUOTE ]

its a very nice combo (beatdown ender), that allows you to follow up with additional damage, such as a light down attack or a downthrow. you can also delay the second strike [6][P]+[K] ~ slight delay [P], so if the [6][P]+[K] gets blocked, you can trick your opponent.

i dunno bout yu guyz but i like pissin ppl off with goh's [1][K]+[G] /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

Goh's not weak... he's movelist challenged.

[ QUOTE ]

i dunno bout yu guyz but i like pissin ppl off with goh's [1][K]+[G]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're fucked on block ofc but it's still "only" E+ counterable at -16 frames on block unlike many moves *cough* Brads [2][K]+[G] *cough* that are Knee+ counterable (aois Sweep and more). Get into the habit of doing a TR Trap after you get a succesfull sweep with [1][K]+[G] with Goh - You'll be amazed at how many times you'll connect it (aswell as after [6][6][P]+[G]>[3][3][6][P]+[K] to btw). If the opponent just lies there you can groundthrow etc etc.

On another (insert only personal imo whatever here) note; Goh's shldrm fucking sucks imo with you gambling a TC situation for a fucking stumble with nothing garanteed after even on MC while akira gets a garanteed combo on his on normal hit (I'll take garanteed damage over a stmbl anyday). I atleast wish there was a hitthrow / whatever better results on MC and hope they modify the results of it for FT.

Over and Out / KiwE

15. ouchthathurt

ouchthathurt Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Mysterious_Red said:

[ QUOTE ]
    ouchthathurt said:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its a very nice combo (beatdown ender), that allows you to follow up with additional damage, such as a light down attack or a downthrow. you can also delay the second strike [6][P]+[K] ~ slight delay [P], so if the [6][P]+[K] gets blocked, you can trick your opponent.

i dunno bout yu guyz but i like pissin ppl off with goh's [1][K]+[G] /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ehhh, i'd rather use other moves.
    i know about it for combos, i was talking about general use (mainly just that situation). i mean you have to use it to be able to threaten to use it... and at -14 i'd say its not worth throwing it out and getting it blocked IMO.
    you can use [4][P] and that'll give you a +4 which is pretty hard to interrupt and forces to them to attack or get thrown, any follow up will as much if not more damage than the canned [p] follow up to [6][P]+[K].
    sure [6][P]+[K] is safe on block, but all in all i don't think its worth it usually... unless there is something i'm not considering.

16. ouchthathurt

ouchthathurt Member

Re: Goh's not weak... he's movelist challenged.

[ QUOTE ]
    KiwE said:

[ QUOTE ]

i dunno bout yu guyz but i like pissin ppl off with goh's [1][K]+[G]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're fucked on block ofc but it's still "only" E+ counterable at -16 frames on block unlike many moves *cough* Brads [2][K]+[G] *cough* that are Knee+ counterable (aois Sweep and more). Get into the habit of doing a TR Trap after you get a succesfull sweep with [1][K]+[G] with Goh - You'll be amazed at how many times you'll connect it (aswell as after [6][6][P]+[G]>[3][3][6][P]+[K] to btw). If the opponent just lies there you can groundthrow etc etc.

On another (insert only personal imo whatever here) note; Goh's shldrm fucking sucks imo with you gambling a TC situation for a fucking stumble with nothing garanteed after even on MC while akira gets a garanteed combo on his on normal hit (I'll take garanteed damage over a stmbl anyday). I atleast wish there was a hitthrow / whatever better results on MC and hope they modify the results of it for FT.

Over and Out / KiwE

[/ QUOTE ]

[1][K]+[G] is good. i like it too. [3][K]+[G] too.

shoulder ram is good. is akira's should better? maybe. doesn't matter though. stagger, no jabs guaranteed on block, akria will get like 80 of a shoulder ram? goh gets 27+ stagger (~40 on MC). nothing guaranteed but you can get even more damage off the stagger. of course some might prefer akira's shoulder, i might even agree that akira's is better, but that doesn't make it a bad move.

17. Robio_kun

Robio_kun Well-Known Member

The Shoulder is good. Nothing guaranteed but it keeps the guessing games going. That's really the key for playing Goh, he can punish anyone trying to recover and he can often set up situations where he can get a ground hit/throw if they don't. When you get the hang of the guessing games, moves that appear to have little benifit get a whole lot better (such as the aforementioned shoulder ram) because they set up the guessing games.

Another thing that I find essential with Goh is the throw escape. I could get to 10th dan without it but after that I found it was essential. (much more so than with my other characters although it helped with them too. If you look at the replays with Goh on your disk you will notice that the Goh player is one of the best throw counterers around.

18. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    SenoB said:

Goh is obviously much weaker in the strike area compared to Akira, but of course, almost all his moves set up for throws and easy mindgames. shrm's are MY best friend, just because they go thru a good deal of stuff even beyond the low punch / high attacks it's supposed to dodge (like I went thru some of Aoi's and Jacky's midkicks... for some bizarre reason).

[/ QUOTE ]

Just want to point out that Jacky's answer to these type of techniques is [8]+[P] in his [P][P][8]+[P] sequence. (special high)

You'll mainly see it in situations where one is trying to backdash shoulder Jacky to go under regular high attacks.

19. kuv_hai

kuv_hai Member

BOOYA!!..after taking some advice from u guys..my goth is finally a 6th dan..i still got a ways to go with him but its moving...[K] and [3][K] are my best friends right now...and a couple of throws...his throws does a good amount of damage...his jugles are still fairly weak compare to other players..im still having a tough time playing against faster characters (aka that bastard brad) ...but right now im trying to get 20 straight wins in the 4th arcade..and im getting close but i was get my ass kicked by brad or shun when i get like 15-18 wins..so thats pissing me off

20. Robio_kun

Robio_kun Well-Known Member

Yeah, I find brad and sarah tough with Goh. The trick for brad (not sarah) is to figure out when he is going to punch and use your [P]+[K]. He will often lead with a punch or elbow and if nothing else is working for you, you can take the chance that this is what he is going to do.