1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Good/Bad Pai Match-Ups

Discussion in 'Pai' started by Venussail, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Venussail

Venussail Active Member

Not that it matters much in this game, but who do you guys think are good and bad match-ups for Pai? Here's my personal opinion:

Good: Jacky, Eileen, Aoi, Lei-Fei

50/50: Lion, Sarah, Wolf, Jeffrey, Pai, Shun, Goh, El Blaze, Kage

Bad: Lau, Vanessa, Brad, Akira

2. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    How are you deciding the bad matchups?

I think how well you match up against certain characters depends more on your knowledge of the character you're fighting against and how well your opponent knows your character.

If you play in a specific way then some characters will probably be able to punish you a bit harder for what you're doing wrong. There's no "right" or "wrong way" to play a character. In my opinion anyway so matchups would be vague at best.

3. Venussail

Venussail Active Member

I'm basing all the match-ups on how well I've done against the characters when facing the computer and people online. I know it's not the best way to go about determining match-ups, but I really just did it that way to garner some discussion. I think the fact that match-ups are so vague adds to the amount of discussion possible for this topic.

4. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    These matchups are based on how well you play them specifically it may be abit different for someone else as far as what is good and bad for them. That is the beauty of VF match ups aren't decided based on the specific match up but completely on the player.

5. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Maybe you could tell us why they good ones are good and the bad ones are bad? Hard to have a productive discussion without knowing that.

6. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

I think all pai's matchups ae good ones for pai.

She has speed and damage, crazy charge moves and low ful circular sweps, the ever handy 1KK, the P sabaki, man, shes got so many good moves its unbelievable.

In fact, i dont know why pai hasnt ben abused online as much as shun and lei, she certainly has he potential to be equally annoying.

7. MDSPrime

MDSPrime Grappler & Part time Ninja

XBL:
    Pilchard LoveR
    I use Pai occasionally and she can handle most other characters pretty well, I can see the problem against Vanessa though if you spam lows lots like I do, usually 1KK or 3P then expect to get punished by moves like Vanessa's 1K+G which crushes lows and juggles into 6PKK, but that aside match ups only really matter in unbalanced games like SSF4, VF5 is probably the most balanced fighting game out there

8. shadowmaster

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    the match ups are even for me across the board for everyone except for when I handle the better players. There are a few characters that give me fits abit but it isn't anything I haven't experienced before. The game is so balanced that the specifics don't make that much of a difference either way, that is why I love VF so much better than SF and other fighters.

No smart VF players should ever spam Pai's 1KK or 3P without thinking about it first and expect to win alot against anyone not just Vanessa.

9. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    [​IMG] it does?

10. shadowmaster

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    Of course it does I thought you knew this already as a Vanessa player.

11. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    My apologies. Not a morning person and thought he was talking about something else. [​IMG]

Vanessa should probably be using 1P again opponents who use lots of low moves, especially Pai because of her 10f Jab.

I think pai, as well as most of the cast are pretty balanced match up wise. Her shenanigans will work on most of the cast. I am interested on why Lei would be a good match up though.

12. 124

124 Well-Known Member

Fighting against heavy characters is hard. FOr me. [​IMG] Also against El Blaze. [​IMG]

13. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

fighting against other people is hard. also against big people.

14. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

Stupid troll. [​IMG]

124, maybe provide examples of why the Heavyweight characters and El Blaze give you problems. That way we can provide feedback to help you overcome these problems with Pai. This information could help others who have the same problems you do.

15. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

versus the big guys: is it floats? are you getting floated? I'll bet it is floats. Pai is pretty floaty.

16. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    I think Marlyjay is referring to the fact that the [6] [P] [K] [K] float is stance and distance dependent.

That said, if the Pai player decides to abare with [P] instead of a low attack Vanessa is considered airborne so i think [1] [K] [+] [G] is hardly recommend in this matchup (or against any 10f jabber for that matter).

17. ultralewis

ultralewis Well-Known Member

PSN:
    InfamousGeezer
    XBL:
    Infamous Geezer
    Watch out for characters with crouch throws. They include Jeff and Wolf. I think part of the reason you may be suffering from this match up is possibly because they are throwing you from the recovery of your sweeps.

In order for you to escape these throws you need to guess which low throw direction they are going to use. 3 or down forward is usually the most common.* I`d advise you keep a direction of your choice held and spam p+k+g for throws being done to you from sweeps.

*If you are not sure of your opponents low throw direction. Save the replay and watch it back with the input display on to see which escape you should be making.

But watch out though. Good VF`ers won`t use the same direction constantly. They will do this just to throw you off of your guessing games. They may even beat out a quick mid attack instead of throwing altogether.

18. 124

124 Well-Known Member

Yah! That's the reason! Pai is very light compared to them.. and their massive grabs too.

ah! thnks for the advice ultralewis

19. Hazzerone

Hazzerone Well-Known Member

You don't need to guess low throw escapes. You can escape them all. You need to guess on ground throws though.

20. ultralewis

ultralewis Well-Known Member

PSN:
    InfamousGeezer
    XBL:
    Infamous Geezer
    Really?? Interesting...