1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Good movies with Time Travel?

Discussion in 'General' started by FatalRose, Oct 1, 2009.

1. FatalRose

FatalRose Well-Known Member

For some reason I really want to start watching movies with Time Travel in them.
    Can any of you recommend some good time travel movies for me please?
    I'll make a list of the time travel movies I have seen thus far...
    http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2693/dejavuxr1ji2.jpg
    Deja vu 2006
    8/10
    http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6721/thephiladelphiaexperime.jpg
    The Philadelphia Experiment
    9/10
    http://bluemoviereviews.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/somewhere-time.jpg
    Somewhere In Time
    10/10
    Amazing movie, highly recommended!!!
    http://i36.tinypic.com/nqebl3.jpg
    Frequency
    8.8/10
    Great movie.

:)

2. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

12 Monkeys
    Terminator 1 and 2
    Minority Report
    Outlander
    Groundhog's Day (you must watch this)
    Event Horizon
    Back to the Future Trilogy
    Star Trek (2009 film)
    Donnie Darko (Director's Cut)
    Army of Darkness (part of the Evil Dead series)
    The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
    Sphere

LOST (television series)
    Full Metal Alchemist (Anime series)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tim...e_fiction_films

Depending on your definition of time travel there are many more movies that qualify. Something like the first Stargate film involved inter-dimensional travel through great distances of space over an instant moment in time.

Also any movie involving psychics or people who can read the future technically constitutes some type of time travel. If they can truly envision the future then their minds are traveling forward through time (or they are receiving messages from the future).

Even a film like Red Violin, that follows the owners of a particular musical instrument over centuries, shows a form of time travel.

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    The Time Machine by H.G.Wells and Timeline by Michael Crichton are two books that I really enjoyed. They both way to the big screen, but obviously just do not compare to the book. If you're going to watch The Time Machine, I'd probably recommend the 1960s version over the 2002 remake.

Also, I did a quick search on "time travel movies" and found this link:
    http://www.toptenz.net/top-ten-time-travel-movies.php

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10. Butterfly Effect
    9. The Time Machine (1960)
    8. Time Bandits
    7. Returner
    6. Star Trek - First Contact
    5. Bill & Ted's Excellend Adventure
    4. 12 Monkeys
    3. Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home
    2. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
    1. Back to the Future
    </div></div>

Visit the site for a short description and youtube preview on each movie. It should at least give you a few ideas of what to watch. I couldn't help but LOL at Bill & Ted's though [​IMG]

4. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

Where back to the future 1,2, and 3. Movies need some more Huey lowis and the news.

5. White_Worm

White_Worm Well-Known Member

Event Horizon and Sphere are both excellent movies, but don't feature time-travel. Donnie Darko and Butterfly Effect are some of my personal favorite time-travel flicks.

I've been watching the new Doctor Who and its got some wonderful time travel. You'll have to forgive the series for being so completely over-the-top, but keep in mind that it is BBC (and thus, inherently, very very British). Its also a lot of dimensional-type travel (ala Sliders). How's this; the second episode of Doctor Who goes to the year 5,000,000,000 (five billion)!

I also have a movie in my Netflix called TimeCrimes. I think its foreign, but it was recommended to me. I'll let you know.

6. FatalRose

Thanks everyone. Right now I am watching The Lake House, will let all of you know how it is when it's over.

EDIT: Just finished it, decent movie. 7.9/10

7. EmpNovA

The spaceship in Event Horizon travels forward seven years in time with no explanation. The flight log shows the ship jumping from the year 2040 to 2047. The scientist in the film says that the ship harnessed something called a gravity drive that could fold space and time and could travel through time.

"What's the shortest distance between two points?"
    "A line!"
    "Wrong. The answer is zero. If you fold space so that two points coexist with each other you can jump from one place instantaneously to the next. Time travel, it's called the gravity drive, I invented it myself."

In Sphere the ship travels backwards in time by an unknown number of years. The deep sea exploration crew discovers a space ship from the distant future that flew into a wormhole that threw it back in time. Sphere takes places in 1987, the space ship they find has the year as 'xx43' with an unlisted century indicating time travel.

Sounds to me like you could revisit those movies again.

8. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

Is the new tv show "flashforward" considered time travel?

9. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

Frequency is really good!!

10. EmpNovA

I guess. I mean peoples' minds are traveling forward through time independent of their bodies. That is time travel. And because they have seen the future they know enough to be able to alter the course of events leading up to that future (which is what most time travel movies are all about).

Still if you want to watch a show that centers around time travel, go for LOST.

11. FatalRose

The Jacket 2005
    Forgot to mention this one. Another awesome movie.

12. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

Donnie Darko is worth watching for the soundtrack alone. I prefered the original just for that, but opinions vary.

13. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

Primer. made for $7,000 and based on Richard Feynman's diagrams(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feynman_diagram)it is easily one of the best movies out there. Don't let the budget fool you, this is as polished as a movie gets - there was a ton of care and intellect that went into the planning, writing, acting and execution of this film.

If you're looking for people disappearing from photographs (barf), 'splosions or the risk of touching your traveling analogue and blowing up the world/you look elsewhere but otherwise this movie has got everything else in spades.

PRIMER

14. N0tThiSTiMe

N0tThiSTiMe Member

Not exactly time travel, but The One with Jet Li was pretty entertaining. Then how could Jet vs Jet not be.

15. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    My choice for time travel.

"You made a time machine out of the DeLorean?!"
    "If you're going to make a time machine, why not with style!"

ps. Superman 1 [​IMG]
    pps. Event horizon was horrible.

16. FatalRose

Has anyone seen Somewhere In Time yet? It's a great movie.

17. FatalRose

Hallmark The Love Letter 1998
    [​IMG]
    Great movie.
    8.9/10

18. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

FAQ about time travel

the buttefly effect (only saw first one)

19. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    The Butterfly Effect (first one) is a sick movie, highly recommended, seen it twice I think last time was years ago though. The sequels aren't as good as the first I don't think, although I haven't seen them.

20. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    I agree.

I've had long discussions with friends about how much I hated this film.