1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Heruru's VF5 impressions (translation)

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by Zero-chan, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Sup guys. Just for fun (and practice), I decided that I'd try and translate Heruru's VF5 impressions from his blog for everyone to read. It's awfully rough, since my JP's grown rather rusty in the time I've been away, but I still think it makes for an enjoyable read.

"I've been at Shinjuku since this morning, and boy do my legs hurt... I was there from the moment the place opened. My first impression was 'the background scenery is beautiful!' The light patterns in particular... Sometimes the light is so strong that you can't see the hit effects.

But, the quality of vf.tv is magnificent! Going from a chat with a certain famous person inside the arcade (let's call him "boss"), they doubled the effort on the game just to make vf.tv so good. The match data gets sent to the server in realtime, and you can watch it as it's being played. Isn't that cool? You get to see ranking statistics and the character's outfits in realtime. Whoever thought of all this is a real genius! It's incredible."

His Lei-Fei impressions:

- Basically, everything Srider said here about his new lying-down attack and options. [P]+[K] following [2][2], upon hit, is a huge combo opener.
    - He was quite surprised to see the 2P topless costume. Apparently Lei was unexpectedly thin. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    - Lei is one of the characters whose [2_][P] changes based on stance. (I believe this varies from character to character, based on what I've read so far. I may be wrong.) Apparently foot position changes if he low punches after [9][K]+[G] - it significance is unknown. (Sorry, not a Lei player here, so this may not be accurate...) If you're in a standing position, you really need to aware of stance before low punching.
    - His combos/combo ability hasn't changed much.
    - He suspects the range on the senshippo will be lowered a little in the final release. (I'm not sure which command this refers to. Again, not a Lei player.)

He posted some thoughts on other characters, which I'll get to a little bit later. I'll see if there are any other interesting blogs/bbs posts of note for you guys, as well. Hope you like /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. Luddie

Luddie Well-Known Member

Just say the word if you need help with translating. I'm not a very good player, but what I'm lacking in VF I have in languages /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    I'll help if I have time

3. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Thanks for the time spent translating this, keep it coming ^^

4. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    yes thank you very much... keep it coming when ever you find time to translate.

5. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Other characters:

Akira:
    "He really hasn't changed that much. I'm not sure what sort of usefulness [P]+[K][P] has. [4][6][P]+[G] -> [P] and followups... it's almost like the opponent is weightless."

Lau:
    "You can see his deteriorating condition in his face. But besides that, I don't think he's changed much either... just aged a lot."

Pai:
    "Her motion animations and other stuff has changed." He mentions something about her "abare image" that I don't really understand.

Sarah:
    "She's a panchira character now! (panchira is a slang term for being able to see a girl's panties. I'm sure knowing this will be very useful for you all. /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) How risque. Her new throw can cause the opponent to stagger. Her face looks exactly like you would expect a gaijin to..." (jeez, I understand the sentiment here, just dunno how to put it in English well...)

Jacky:
    "As always, it's all about the elbow. From slant ([1][P]) he has a high kick variation. It seems to be connected to a counter."

Shun:
    "Insane old man factor at MAX! Since the time after KO is longer, he can get more drinks in. Crazy newfangled technology..."

Wolf:
    "He got MUCH bigger. His arms are crazy thick now. I didn't see any big changes in his attacks."

Jeff:
    "He's gotten bigger too! His arm hair is really kinda gross, hehe. Again, I don't think his skills have changed too much, but he wasn't a popular character."

Kage:
    "He has a new stance that makes him look like he's gathering energy for a Kamehameha... I thought of Raven from Tekken. What a strange ninja."

Lion:
    "He seems pretty gay. At least, that's the impression I've heard from foreign folks..."

Goh:
    "His look is quite stylish... but strangely pathetic. (in a pitiable sort of way, like a puppy sitting in the rain.) As for new skills, after his hammer, he can do a kick. It's an interesting combination."

Brad:
    "HG." (note: HG is a very popular entertainer in Japan right now. He is very... how we say... flamboyant. I've seen VF5 Brad and him compared on several JBBS sites.)

Vanessa:
    "She looks more like a soldier. I don't know if too much has changed."

El Blaze:
    "It looks like his running's going to be very annoying. He's about half Jeff's size." (I think he says something about him being the smallest of the throw-oriented characters, as well. I'm having a bit of trouble with these comments.)

There's a few interesting posts of various BBSes I've noticed. If I can find the time I'll see about translating those here as well. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. nobody

nobody Well-Known Member

Goddamnit, now whenever I watch Brad slip and sway I'm going to hear him saying "Sei, sei, sei..."

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Are you guys as bothered as I am by all these comments of "they seem the same as before?"

One of the big differences between Tekken and VF is that a player in VF must completely revamp his/her understanding of a character in order to do well in the next iteration. Whereas in Tekken it is much less so. My Tekken 3 Paul is pretty similar to my Tekken 5 Paul. My VF2 Kage is COMPLETELY different from my VF3 or VF4 Kage.

I'd be disappointed if VF5 broke this tradition...

8. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

it's still very early keep your pants on ok

"He seems pretty gay. At least, that's the impression I've heard from foreign folks..."

/versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [ QUOTE ]
    Dandy_J said:

it's still very early keep your pants on ok

[/ QUOTE ]

And to add further, I don't think Heruru played with all the characters, right? So his first impressions are probably just from versus experience, and I would guess most people stuck with what they knew just to win the match and keep playing (i.e. predominantly VF4 style)

The real difference I think lies in the system, which obviously applies to every character. Again, it's probably something most people couldn't have fully taken advantage given the short time of the location test. But these seamingly small system changes will probably end up re-defining the way we play this version differently from the last.

Some of you should remember when VF4 first came out, everyone was still trying to play it like VF3. Well, I'd expect the same to happen again.

10. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Myke said:

The real difference I think lies in the system, which obviously applies to every character. Again, it's probably something most people couldn't have fully taken advantage given the short time of the location test. But these seamingly small system changes will probably end up re-defining the way we play this version differently from the last.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely, I don't think most people have really started exploiting the new system. From what I gathered, alot of new possibilities in the guessing game and combo opportunities haven't been really explored yet. Mostly like the side combos that we've all seen from the Private Show clip.

Also, don't come to conclusion so fast about the character that's been said to be "almost the same."

There are some interesting new things for characters like Lau and Wolf, some of which I haven't updated yet. (I think I should get permission first.) But I've already given some details like Wolf's new moves that requires the wall. I'm sure the final game will end up drastically different from FT once people begin to understand how the system works.

11. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

Hey Zero-chan. Did you forget about Aoi or was she missing from impressions?

/KiwE

12. majinai

majinai Member

13. Luddie

Luddie Well-Known Member

He writes that Pai looks like nothing more than an abare-character(a rampaging/violent character)