1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Hit-checking and Brad's neck-clinch grabs

Discussion in 'Brad' started by deathsushi, Aug 20, 2008.

1. deathsushi

deathsushi Well-Known Member

Okay,

So, it sounds like I need to get on the wagon and start being more disciplined. Can any of the Brad vets out there give me a quick list of the moves that they hit-check against most frequently (and, in doing so, let me know what you're looking for, what you intend to follow up with?).

So far I've got:

1. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif - look for a CH or stagger, go for the canned kick, look for a regular hit, enter into ducking/slipping

2. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif? Is the follow-up guaranteed on this? Do you have time to input the second /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif after successfully checking?

Where do Brad's clinch grabs fit into this? I've just been inputting the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif regardless of whether or not I see the counter hit (or hit, in the case of his SL /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif) - As such, I don't find that I generally grab into clinch after his Lumpini combination (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif) since I have better options like stance switches.

Any advice here (or if you think I'm asking the wrong question, point me towards the right approach) would be great.

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    You mean /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif right? You can hit check on this as well, but you want to hit check for a CH. If you see the CH, do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif for the guaranteed hit, and side turn the opponent. Continue with side turn pressure.

On guard or normal hit, you can safely go to the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif followup with little risk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where do Brad's clinch grabs fit into this? I've just been inputting the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif regardless of whether or not I see the counter hit (or hit, in the case of his SL /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif) - </div></div>
    You can't hit check the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif for the clinch since it's a "hit throw". So, you should try to get in the habit of always entering /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif because there's no penalty if you "miss".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As such, I don't find that I generally grab into clinch after his Lumpini combination (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif) since I have better options like stance switches. </div></div>
    You can still enter /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif and go into slipping/ducking:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif~/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif~/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif~/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif

3. deathsushi

deathsushi Well-Known Member

That's right, I missed a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif on the first input there. So with the double uppercuts, if I see a guard, is it safe to enter Brad's movements? It looks like I'm -13 on guard for the second punch, in which case I would imagine my only other option is mashing throw escapes?

What _are_ the side pressure options for Brad? I haven't seen anything anywhere that was specific to his ability to apply pressure from this angle (maybe I've just missed it)

Maybe the window for entering stances is larger than I thought - it always feels like I'm really rushing to mash the buttons successfully when I try to go for a neck clinch after /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. Even so, if I can start doing that, it's a huge extra load of damage.

Any other moves that you're typically hit-checking with Myke?

4. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is the kind of move that you have to do into with a gameplan in mind. No decent Brad player will do this move on it's own and just end it there.
    Your followups should rely heavily on how you think your opponent is going to react to that last hit:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif - Ducking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif - it depends on how fast or slow your opp does /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif but any combo of Slip/Ducking should avoid the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and put your opp into a nitaku situation. Also Ducking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif will avoid /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    14-16f mid - I have not tested this but you can put the computer to block and react with a mid and see what works or doesn't in open/closed foot position. Try throwing the cpu with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif and time a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif so that the last part of that move hits the cpu instead of the first. Then try the Smash Hook and/or PT attacks and test what works if anything.