1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How can you have defense and fluid movements like the top japanese players?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Superspacehero, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Superspacehero

Superspacehero Well-Known Member

I know all the defensive technique but i feel rusty doing them. I dont even have the reaction to hit check a 6p to see if it is neutralhit and end up fuzzy guarding on neutral hit. While having a real match, i just think i can overcome the fuzzy guard by playing more agressive with all in on abare,evade throw mixup, yomi which results in very randomized results online, where i can dominate one match and suddenly be dominated instead of playing a more defensive playstyle that would net me more consistent results.

And i see these japanese players on tribe cups that have amazingly fast fluid movements. Im sure some of them have a hitbox so they can just piano the buttons. Some of the dash evade they do is insanely fast while being far away from the opponent. Im also surprised how they can fuzzyguard, eteg and do other defensive techniques in close combat and do all that fluidly during competition and they dont messit up either by fuzzy in wrong moments and therefore they must do perfect hit checks.. I could perhaps do some eteg, but after that maybe have a few frames where i just stand still. The execution is so poor. Even if i train it in the dojo, and succeed a few time with some fails, i still forget it the next moment.

Anyone have any idea on how to perfect it like the top Japanese players?

Chanchai and cobratron like this.
  2. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

You may not like the answer but it is just lots of practice.

nou, Chanchai, Phoenix Force and 3 others like this.
  3. cobratron

cobratron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

Pretty sure 99% of japanese players have never touched a hitbox.

Anyway if you played a game long enough you develop a rhthym and muscle memory to be able to perform those intricate inputs no matter which controller you use.

It helps that the competition is so fierce there it forces them to move like lightning or they will lose alot of money over time.

4. Superspacehero

Well i like the answer, if it is the truth and im looking for a logical explanation to quell my quriosity and also perhaps a solution, which can motivate me in the right directino. By the way, im only playing on psn and i think you are a xbox player, so lot of psn and xbox player end up never playing each other because of this reason? I se soo so many players here on this forum, but never see you guys on psn. I wonder how you guys play other people. is it room maches, invites?

Chanchai likes this.
  5. Superspacehero

I see they have the pressure to develop it from the get go. Whereas we outside dont really have those incentives. For one, no one is doing it perfect on psn outside japan, and i mean none. I havnt seen even one comparable to the skill level on tribe cups. Since no one is doing it, i guess people guess they are fine whit their current defenses.

Im still shocked that there isnt even one player outside japan who can do these fluid movement and perfect applied defnses. We have players here who played the game for more than 10 years, and are avid fans and spent lot of time. I have seen some good players but they just do some simple evade dash with inputs that are not near the speed of evade dashes that i seen in japan, and the evade dashed outside japan seem mostly to just be to put on a show, and there is no application to it in an efficient way during matches. Maybe most non Japanese players get bored improving the movements and defenses since it is a slow progress to improve and kinda boring as well. People here seem to rather focus their practise on max combos, learn new characters, watch pro players, or like me or enjoy the social community.

Other than that, im totally agreeing with you that it should be about creating muscle memories, so you can automate it during matches, or done it so many times so that the brain synapses for that kind of exersize has grown thicker everytime you practise it, so that it become so thick that you can do it flawlessly. Its really about breaking that barrier through massive repition to automate so delicate inputs. There is no shortcut.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    R_Panda likes this.
  6. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

Don't brother, LOL~~~.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    cobratron, Chanchai, Rodnutz and 3 others like this.
  7. cobratron

Last week I was gonna post a video of me doing some of the fastest movement you're probably gonna see to date. I'm currently at Disneyworld so look out for it next week.

Ellis, Chanchai, MarlyJay and 2 others like this.
  8. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Catfish Ecosystem.

if Catfish is raised in a tough environment...... They become solid and tough to the feel.

raise them in a soft environment... The become flabby and slimy.

case in point..... If you had to pay a dollar per game..... You would level up quick in a pool of Piranhas. Best piece of advice.... Practice. Final Tune and Final Showdown stepping movements are not the same. FS is more restricted. Good luck

Chanchai, cobratron, beanboy and 6 others like this.
  9. cobratron

10. Jason Elbow

Jason Elbow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Thanks Cobratron.

Chanchai and cobratron like this.
  11. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Failed evades put you in "evade jail". You can't successfully evade for a period of time, so be careful if you're trying to style with your movement like Cobratron. :LOL:

12. cobratron

Welcome my g!

13. cobratron

Try not to fumble those dash cancels :ROTFL:

Chanchai, Tricky and MarlyJay like this.
  14. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    So post a vid demonstrating how this works. A visual works best like what Cobratron did.

15. Superspacehero

Nice speed. Thats swag. I think one part of virtua fighter to really excel at it, is to give good entertainment to the viewers and the opponents you are facing. Partly by showing great dancing by having great speed with the movement, that is comparable to showing your beatiful feathers to the opponent, and may be considered a highe form of art. The other one is having a variety of moves that you are using, and not lazily relying on only a few, because that get boring pretty fast. And finally, to use different combos, even though it may be 5 points less off from max damage. I have actually been witnessing japanese players doing this on tribe cups, where they use different combos, and really maximizing the variety of the moveset. I think japanese value elegance as one part of the game, but thats just my speculation.

cobratron likes this.
  16. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

Now if someone outside of JP can demonstrate that kind of movement with a STICK please! I'll wait.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    beanboy and cobratron like this.
  17. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Also doesn't Ecdc or edc exist to make a fail evade safer or am I crazy?

cobratron likes this.
  18. cobratron

If you dont get a dash inputted correctly after an evade you get borked which is what you see a few times in my vid. :(

A problem that hitbox people have to deal with that stick people wouldnt is having your fingers on multiple directions simultaneously. You need to discipline yourself to release a button before moving onto another (not always easy). So though it may look easy to "square dance" you need some mental concentration much as you would trying to play a tune correctly on a piano.

@Tricky can you do the dance good sir?

Chanchai and Tricky like this.
  19. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

Aye I can square dance with the best of em. When I first got the hitbox I use to box step after every round as a flex for my hands. Now I avoid dancing cuz it's too ruff on the hands. Super fun to do.

Chanchai likes this.
  20. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Imagine trying to do this with the d-pad on a series x controller. Lol

Chanchai likes this.