1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Beat Broken Taka?

Discussion in 'New Starter' started by Shensun, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Shensun

Shensun Active Member

I don't understand why no real combos work on this dude?

Also his Brain dead bnb combo can easily do 65%+ damage

Plus he has ridiculous hit stun on his moves, a super large hit box and he seems to recover very quickly for his size.

A very, very bad character design if you ask me, but how do you all deal with him?

Dark Nova Void and masterpo like this.
  2. Emptyeyes

Emptyeyes Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that Taka's overall design is bad nor broken. I would argue it's as it should be, due to the character's size and being such a heavyweight. You just need to improvise and that comes with a gradual elevation of experience in different matchups.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  3. Shensun

Shensun Active Member

I'm using Akira and Pai at the moment.

Any tips on what i should be doing with them against Taka? Mainly Akira

4. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    While combos that normally work on other characters might not work against Taka, there are certain attack strings that are guaranteed to hit Taka that are not guaranteed against other characters.

If I remember correctly, for Pai - [P][P][K][K] and [2][P][+][K][K][P] are guaranteed attack strings against Taka.

Edit #2: https://virtuafighter.com/threads/vf5fs-natural-combos-vs-taka.20134/ in the Taka Forum and WIki on VFDC.

Shensun likes this.
  5. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Most low down, dirty, scummy, players just rage quit:LOL:

beanboy and Shensun like this.
  6. Shensun

Shensun Active Member

Thanks guys, ill check out those resources

While i do think taka ruins the game, and his exclusive combo mechanic / overall design is one of the most bizarre and silly choices I've seen in a fighting game in a very long time, l'll keep training to overcome it

Appreciate the help as always everyone

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  7. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

He is designed to make you feel exactly how you feeling. Regular combos don’t work. That’s because there is Taka-Specific combos you need to learn. You also need to learn all his moves that’s punishable.

Shensun likes this.
  8. Shensun

Shensun Active Member

Thanks. Working on it

9. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Taka really isn't that bad but I don't know the match up that well myself.

Learn the taka only combos or at least the basic ones that work on all weight classes: https://virtuafighter.com/combos/list?ver=5fsa&chara=akira&vs=taka

Especially ones from his main launchers ([4][6][P], SDE etc).

With Akira you can refloat Taka after [2_][6][P][P] and most combos ending in it too. Just do a 1 frame kill [2][P] ([6][6][2][P] or [1][1][P][+][K][+][G]) and he'll pop up off the floor letting you get in another [2_][6][P][P].

Mix it with other wakeup games.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Shensun likes this.
  10. Shensun

Shensun Active Member

Thanks for that. Ill try to implement those into my game going forward.

Anyone got a breakdown of what taka moves and combos leave him open for a punish?

Feck likes this.
  11. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Just as @SDS_Overfiend1 has said, Taka is meant to make you feel like Van Damme in this video. And like Van Damme you must find that your Dim Mak doesn't blow up this guy's stomach, but that your character their form of the triple headbutt and the nut punch!

I wish I knew what the Akira and Pai specifics are...

With Lion:
    * PKP string combos on minor Counter (aka Recovery Counter Hit) and greater.
    * I can pounce after HCB+P+G on humans (but somehow the AI can side roll from this situation, but humans cannot, not even with turbo enabled controllers).
    * Taka hates side turn...Lion likes to beat up people from the side ^_^

I wish you luck!

12. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  13. OldManMixah

OldManMixah Member

For Pai you can actually get combos on him that bypass attacks.
    Example, the BnB for CH scoop (33P+K) is P, 46K+G, 6K+G, 2_P+KP
    On Taka, just go right into the 46K+G and skip the P.
    A lot of combos are like this on him.
    3K+G, you don't get the 2P you can on everyone else but you can still just go 6K+G, 2_P+KP.

Pai has a lot of buttons that can just stuff Taka's face. And someone already mentioned th enatural combos that work on him.
    It's 3KPP, 2P+KKP, and on recovery hit PPKK and 3PPKK

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  14. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Yeah, fighting Taka can be tough, but confusing for some. He's a giant sumo that's like an immovable boulder, and his size and weight are factors, that make him feel like a real sumo. They made him like that to emulate some realism, of fighting a big sumo guy in real life, so that is why certain moves and even juggles, won't work on him like it does on other characters.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  15. Dark Nova Void

Dark Nova Void Well-Known Member

Well all I'm going to say is Taka makes everyone who doesn't know the match up feel this way. Things to know are
    1. Learn your Taka combos! In some instances you might get more damage compared to the rest of the cast.
    2. Learn the your Taka punishes, because he is so peculiar compared to the rest of the cast generic punishes isn't recommended. Try finding the character specific ones, I suggest finding videos of your characters fighting Taka and studying how they fight him. Also check out the "Starting Out With (Character) threads" they all have should have VS Taka strategies.
    3. Taka weakness is his nitaku starts at -5, where as the rest of the cast starts at -6.
    4. Knocking him down from what I told hurts him a lot to because his wake up attacks are punches and headbutts play around with your characters move list to see how to take advantage of them.
    5. Learn how you move set affects him and the frame advantages and disadvantages, This typical strings on the rest cast might have different frames after hitting Taka and its good to know what moves to stay away from and use more.

Anyways this is a tough one for me too but it gradually does get better hope this helps.

Tha_FeauchA likes this.
  16. Dark Nova Void

Dark Nova Void Well-Known Member

17. NGKrush

NGKrush Well-Known Member

PSN:
    de_kroet
    XBL:
    de kroet
    As a taka player I'd just like to reply to this so that people don't get a wrong idea about him.

Every character in VF is designed differently to change the way you look at the VF system. Lion has a super strong sideturned game, shun has drinks to balance, akira is all about bullying with his strong mids and guardbreaks, leifei makes you question when you can actually take your turn. Etc. Etc.

Taka's system is that he plays with the fact that its difficult to knock him down. Each character will have a few moves that are altered because of this. Some of your commonly used knockdown moves or juggle starters will not work, and if they do, his weight might not allow for your bread and butter combos.

Much like shun, you will need to adapt your playstyle a bit to gain the advantage. If you don't learn how to sober Shun and learn his moves that give him drinks, a shun player will only get stronger and stronger.

Taka has a few systems that are working for him, but also many that are working against him:
    1. Partly that each character has moves that become natural combos on him. Pais PPKK is a natural 11 frame attack you can get as a punisher or after an evade or whiff.
    2. taka crouches are 1 frame slower. that doesn't mean a lot when you are starting out, but in practice it means that he has less defensive options. If you force pressure and mixups on him, more often than other character he needs to make a hard read and doesn't have option selects like other characters do.
    3. taka cant perfect tech, allowing for taka specific combos. lions 6pp that is a natural combo on taka, also gives a free 66kk after because taka techrolls slower than other characters and cannot avoid the hit. Akira and many other characters have unique juggles that only work on taka. Some (as a taka player) pretty unfair ones!
    4. taka recovers very slowly when you know his moves. nearly each attack he throws out can be punished on evade. taka gets big rewards yes, but his risks are just as big.
    If you compare Taka to a player at a poker table. He won't be that patient person that waits for a good hand that goes all in, or that person that tries to sneak in with low blinds and join in with the card draw. Taka is the guy that bets big. Each time. Even if he just has a 2 and jack unsuited. He tries to make you rethink your pair of queens with big bucks, but if he loses. He loses big too.

If you've played poker before, you've probably lost to someone like that before, got really annoyed and rethought your strategy. That's what you have to do now: rethink how you would approach this big heavy guy that doesn't want to get knocked down.

18. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Once you came in with the no limit hold 'em. You just summed it all up perfectly. Good post.

beanboy likes this.
  19. OldManMixah

OldManMixah Member

Does Taka also have a longer wakeup time compared to some, making down attacks actual "combos" on him in some situations?

20. NGKrush

NGKrush Well-Known Member

PSN:
    de_kroet
    XBL:
    de kroet
    if you are talking about light down attacks: yes there are, but I don't know the situations off the top of my head. for big down attacks, there are some launchers that will allow them, but in those situations it would always be more beneficial to do a proper combo.