1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you keep from playing dull with Jeff?

Discussion in 'Jeffry' started by Alstein, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Alstein

Alstein Well-Known Member

Noticing some folks really go suppressive with strikes, and while I can basic moral play them to death with elbow, 2P, and 4KP, mix in throws if possible, it's kinda dull.

What can you to spice things up against these guys? I don't want to be boring with Jeff, but it feels like something you have to be.

2. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    If you want spice pick a character that's more fun and flashy, if you want to work harder then you have to then pick Jeff. That's what I tell people anyways.

If you insist though, what I do is end rounds quickly with knee combos because they abare, or I just combine movement with hit-throws since I like to use them a lot.

3. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants

Until your opponent locks up, you cannot do anything fancy with Jeffry. So yes, it can get boring and taxing. The best you can possibly do is mix in threat stance. If [P]+[K]+[G] is block, according to my findings, threat [P][P]/[K] will beat opponent [2][P]/[P].

It`s just like trying to play with Aoi`s cancels; against some players it is futile to experiment.

If you really want spice, I would suggest picking any of the other 18 characters.

4. Alstein

Alstein Well-Known Member

Aoi is my main pick, at least reversals will make folks lock up some. Two very different approaches defensively.

5. Aoiscrub1979

Aoiscrub1979 Member

I honestly just dropped Aoi for Jeff. I love her and all, but man she does not work at low level metagames. When an opponent wants to swing all match, it sucks. And I just think people score too much random damage on Aoi. Yeah she's good, and she's always higher on the tier list with Jeff. But I like the fact that Jeff just beats the shit out of people and it hurts. I think he's better at conditioning people than Aoi is, because he threatens with damage. I think with Aoi runs her game, she doesn't threaten with a lot. Still she's fun to use, and I can see her being more effective against higher level players who don't hit as many buttons. But I personally think Jeff is a better scrub killer, and I think you learn the game better with him overall. Just my opinion though.

6. capt_catalina

capt_catalina Well-Known Member

PSN:
    capt_catalina
    Jeff is certainly rigid with his form (reminds me of Guile in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo), and flash only comes at the expense of defense. Once your opponent locks up though, his 1[P][+][K] [P][+][G] followup is hella fun against guarding scrubs.

Ringouts make for hilarity, as Kamais_Ookin does in this one:

Prime likes this.
  7. Prime

Prime Active Member

lol, haunt rage:p

8. CodyHunter07

CodyHunter07 Well-Known Member

Jeffry McWild simply isn't a flashy fighter...and if that is what you want, flash, showman, primadonna stuff, he is NOT the guy for you to be playing.

Jeffry is all about blocking, patience, and brute power.
    Due to his slow speed, doing whatever you have to do to keep the opponent in constant fear of being slammed...even if you never really get good slams in....just the THREAT of it.

All the while whittling away the opponent, then possibly landing some hella hard hits to finish it.

Jeff is just a no-nonsense character.
    He says, "Here I am, beat me if you can, but you screw up, I WILL HIT YOU HARD!"

JacobEvo likes this.
  9. jinxhand

jinxhand Well-Known Member

As for being "flashy" with Jeffry, there's really not too much you can do honestly... Know when you can use 6K+G when the opponent is down, but if they don't get up or do rising attacks when you do it, the move won't connect...

There's also things like K cancels into moves like 3P+K, or 2P+K. I personally use 3P+K due to it being a faster move and I happen to bait counters with that quick jerk motion. Using K cancels (pressing K, then quickly cancelling the move with G) can allow Jeffry to inch forward a bit closer. Using 66P+K or 43P+K to "go through" the opponent when they get up can be somewhat flashy I guess...

If Jeffry's back is turned, you can reverse crouch dash towards the opponent with the hopes of dodging high attacks.

You could also drop a combo hopefully making the opponent tech, and try catching them with other moves like K+G, or even a throw. This won't necessarily mean you'll make up for losing out on a max damage combo. There is a chance that whatever move(s) you do afterward can compensate for it though.

Most if not all of these things mentioned are very risky, especially vs strong players with stronger (read: higher tiered) characters. Even if you do these things and they work, they might not truly look "flashy", hence I'm using the term very loosely.

Chefboy_OB likes this.
  10. UnknowingNote

UnknowingNote Active Member

XBL:
    UnknowingNote
    I feel the same way sometimes, always playing defensive bores me, so I go all out attacking, and it gets me beat, ALOT. When I take my time, and actually use Jeffs range and defense combined, I find people spamming 2p or trying to get combos out, and that's when you want to strike with a launcher and combo. That's how I have won my matches recently. Annoy the opponent, and confuse them. Go all out for a couple jabs, knees, then go defense. Sometimes it does suck, but Jeff, to me, takes a lot of skill to learn and to be patient with, than some other characters.

Edit : As for people spamming 2p, I, myself am guilty of that, and will admit to it. I try not to do it, but when I panic, I just got for 2p or 2k, and I hate myself for it, and I am trying to get off that tactic, because it also gets me punished a lot. Sometimes it helps me build up combos, other times, it just gets me screwed.

11. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    If you want to see a seriously un-dull Jeffry, hunt down JackoRCB over Live.

12. Modelah

Modelah Well-Known Member VFDC Translator Content Manager Taka

PSN:
    Modelah
    Just found this now, way too funny, lol @Kamais_Ookin. Ima try dat ringout Jeff Dance, an hear dat 'Rrrrrr!'

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    Arjay and Kamais_Ookin like this.
  13. Arjay

Arjay Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Arjay9975
    Just saw the video. Man, I've gotten many a hate mail doing this, and I don't even dance afterwards.