1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How to do Akira's KNEE

Discussion in 'Akira' started by Plague, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Command = [K]+[G] -> Release [G] in one frame while holding [K].

Also written as [K]+[G]![G]

Here's some great info on how to do it...
    Another method besides what I call the "scrape" version described above could be called the smash, bounce, tap, or touch method depending on how hard I hit the buttons. I tap the [G] and [K] with my thumb and forefinger, respectively, and then rotate my hand quickly to the right whilst simultaneously lifting my thumb off [G]. If I'm really "on" I can do it so lightly that the buttons hardly make a sound.

A-ha! Heta_Akira made a video of the method I use for KNEE.

2. NinjaCW

NinjaCW Well-Known Member

I notice that when I do get it consistently I am barely touching the buttons...

3. ZeroEx

ZeroEx Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zeextremekid
    XBL:
    Zeextremekid
    Yeah I have to barely tap the keys to get it to work.

4. Setsuna_Goh

Setsuna_Goh Well-Known Member

i have found another way, what i do is tap the K with my middle finger, while holding my thumb horizontal, and then hit k and G at the same time, and pulling back fast, wich results in me lifting G sooner (because it has to travel back less than K wich is being pressed by my finger) dunno if this makes sense... i'll make a diagram sometime

5. jedkun

jedkun Member

like ZeroEx said...i barely touch the keys wen i get it to work...i can only do it on a stick...i think its impossible to do on a pad...

6. ZSS

ZSS Well-Known Member

7. leoPirate

leoPirate Member

Is there anyway someone can post a video of how it's done on an arcade joystick? I know it's easy to do with a controller (as all you need to do is flick the K+G button then hold K), but I really need help doing it with a HORI stick. It's literally the ONLY move in Akira's arsenal that I can't pull off consistently. It's apparently an invaluable launcher that I wanna integrate into my play style. Please help!

8. Dai_Akira

Dai_Akira Member

I'm in the same boat as the above poster! Haaaaalp!

9. CiscoRey

CiscoRey Well-Known Member

I think AM2 needs to stop the bullshit and just make this move /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif or something. Inputs like this are one of the reasons I used to prefer Tekken over Virtua Fighter so much in the past. At least give us a toned down alternative much like they did with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

10. Dai_Akira

Dai_Akira Member

I got it like twice yesterday using Setsuna's method(thanks man), but it hurts my wrist.

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I find some of the explanations quite funny and possibly overcomplicated. No offence for anybody, eh, but I think the best way to proceed to this is:

1 - find a way to get a 1-frame short press of the G button CONSISTENTLY
    2 - once you have it, just sync it with a normal press of the K button

Anyone tryong to do step 1 will quickly realize that no matter how fast you are, a conventional "push the botton down" move will never give you a 1-frame short press.

I like the way AM2 keep this move really difficult to do. It has to be the signature of real master players. The move is a damn good floater and very quick to execute. Compare it with the complex motion of a Yoho. The Knee has basically no execution time. If it was easy to do, Akira would be turned into a cheapass characters...

12. Heta_Akira

Heta_Akira Well-Known Member

I believe that I use the same method as you.
    The thing is that before pressing the keys with my fingers (K=middle and G=thumb) I align my fingers in a way that the middle is lower than the thumb. This way, by the time that I am lifting my fingers to release K (middle), the thumb won't be pressing G.

Look this ugly picture of a hand with correct fingers position to see what I mean

<span style='font-family: Fixedsys'>
    /........./
    |.........|
    |......../
    / /---| T|
    |M|...[/size]|__|
    |_|
    _____ _____
    |...| |...|
    |_K_| |_G_|
    </span>

Of course, you have to put a little work getting your hand to get into the right angle. I think that after 1 hour of practice, anyone can pull out this move at least 5 out of ten times. Next day give it another hour and you will be ready to take the risk and use it in combat.

I hope that this help any new Akira Player out there.
    Can't tell you anything else about Akira because
    I play with Aoi /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

13. Heta_Akira

Ok, because I realized that my drawing sucks, I made a small video. Only that the move is so fast that I am not sure if the video is any help.

Ahh, also the video is on VF4E because I still don't have a NextGen console. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

But the Knee is a pain in any version. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-JNeOfb5-Q

14. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

I liked the drawing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

15. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Nice! Thanks for doing that. I put a link in the first post. I hope that is OK with you.

16. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I think I have a similar method. I also use horizontal thumb for guard and middlefinger for K. What I do is slam the hand down and simultaneously pull my thumb "in" to the space between G and P button. Sort of a pincer motion where the middle finger will remain fixed though. The thumb only scrapes the edge of G button and then slips to the empty space between buttons releasing the G. Middle finger will remain on K the whole time after the 'slam'. Depending on joystick button layout, I may have to move the thumb slightly differently (this was bit hard on VSHG since the buttons are so close together, I had to push it above the buttons instead), on EX2 I can do this easier.

It may be difficult getting down the complex mechanics of moving your palm in one direction (down) and thumb in another (sideways). /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

On arcade days I noticed it was also possible to simply 'bounce' the thumb off the G button but this required that the button was in excellent condition.

17. Heta_Akira

Hahaha, that one brough back some memories.
    An american cabinet with VF3.
    That's it, in fact, how I did it the first time on arcade.

No problem at all. In fact, I feel honored /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

18. Disreali

Disreali Member

Amen Brother. You summed it up perfectly.

It's also probably his most versatile move. It's a vicious finisher after wall hits and so far as I know his best back-turned escape move.

If you are using a playstation pad like I did back in the evo days there's a sweet trick (which I believe I found here on vfdc in a similar thread back in the day). Assuming you have all the buttons mapped to their defaults you can hold the tip of your finger on the very corner of R2 ( /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif), slide it off and then tap circle ( /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif). It's a very slight motion but once you get it down it's very consistent; I used to hit knees something like 9/10 times, which, sadly, is more often than I hit them on my stick.

19. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Its not clearly Akiras best floater anymore though.. Yoho floats higher. On the plus side, due to knee being faster than Yoho opens up certain uses for it that more than make up for the height imo...Just have to know they are there.

20. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I almost find the Yoho more difficult to do because of how dodgy the diagonals are on the EX2 Hori Stick. At times, I'm seriously thinking about getting those skilled guys to mod an HG Virtua Stick for Xbopx 360...