1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Ice, I have you figured out

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest, Feb 19, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Sorry for posting in parts but my recently crap connection left me with no choice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Ice, I know why you closed RC, BC, SC, and NOT this board. I also am severely against your reasoning. Finally, I see no reason why you should have been so harsh against the link to the fallout shelter on rumblecity.net!

Let me explain. You are willing to keep virtuafighter.com because you know that you can eventually sell the domain for a great deal of cash. (VF4 is around the corner after all!) Contrary you can't find a buyer for rumblecity.net shockcity.net, blastcity.net, OR nurb.com. (Either that or you found a buyer.) That is why you plan on ditching the domains. You think us posters are stupid? RC was put up around the 9th of September 1999. You probably bought the domain (nurb.com) a great deal of time before that. Also, you probably bought RC close to a year before now. So since you can't find a buyer, and you don't want to pay for the bandwidth, you just decided on throwing away the boards.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I think that you should have put more consideration into it. A banner ad, or an affiliate, could really help the board. DAMMIT, IGN has crap boards, they would probably LOVE to have a UBB like you. Maybe you could have BUILT A SITE AROUND THE BOARDS! Oh, and what ever happened with those contracts that were in the works? I also resent the comment you made about not owing anything to anyone. Technically I could push for that FREE NINTENDO GAME that you owe me. I did win ROTM after all.

I find your values to be skewed. You claim to be building a community with the cities, but yet you chuck them away for cash! Also, I happen to know first hand that rebuilding a hackless UBB takes a matter of MINUTES! So I don't see why you couldn't fix the cities right away! I mean it was just corrupted files! I'll even wager they happened from a mis-installed hack because judging from the control panel, that is the type of error I'd get.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Not only that but, why didn't you ask for help with your "problems?" Abstractica shared when she was in a "rut" and look at her beautiful UBB, and server. Blasters cared for blasters. Rumblers would care for rumblers. Shockers would care for shockers. AND Nurbers would care for *all* Nurbers. That is what FRIENDS are for. You make a community, desert it, and then complain when it isn't perfect. Humans can't make a perfect society, but going from no police, to a camera watching your every move is ridiculous.

I remember how the original RC was so light hearted. Pikachu would make his funny movies. Lazy would be his regular controversial (yet hilarious) self, hell we even had a topic called "Are Purple Monkey Dishwashers and Polka-Dotted Jellyfish compatible? YOU decide!" I mean it can't get anymore light hearted then that!

So tell me Ice with 250,000+ page views a month, 500 megs of storage, and 1/2 a gig of bandwidth. Surely you could pay < $50.00/month! And with a banner ad you could probably make it pretty cheap! We didn't need our free games to be who we were, we were their before it, and we would have remained after.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

So tell me ICE, what was the real purpose of these intentions? Was it saving money, by closing the cities? Making money, by keeping virtuafighter.com? Lazyness, by not upping the cities sooner, and then opening them just to close them? Stupidity, for not fixing shockcity for SEVERAL months without an explanation, and then saying it is closed when it was obviouslt the only working board? Or something "else?" Hell for all we know it was YOU who purposely corrupted the boards, just to save money on bandwidth. You told us to shop around for a good deal, you could have done it YOURSELF!

So tell me ICE, I have this all figured out but that last piece of the puzzle. Explain it to me, won't you?

(This is demon from RC, in case you couldn't guess.)

~Demon

P.S. You wouldn't be "cix" by any chance? You two seem to have a lot in common!

5. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Get lost.

<font color=red>SummErs' 'mibu's lone wolf'<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by SummErs on 2/19/01 04:39 AM.</FONT></P>

6. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

shit..I'll just copy n paste from my other post:

jesus!! the way some people get attach to a msg board is incredible, its like they burn their tree house. can anybody just close a msg board for the hell of it? if its closed then you people, the sennins (that "worked" so hard to be high level posters as if it was PSO) and regulars should build ANOTHER msg board, they're a bunch of free ones out there. just say "ok, all blasters post at this msg board from now on" and move on. if vfdc closes, then i'm sure someone else will have another vf site. jeff doesnt need more to say than "hey, i just dont want to anymore" its his choice, at least he's not making you kiss his ass to keep the board alive like someone some of you might know. its a freaking msg board ppl move on!

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

7. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

As I shall do the same.

I agree with pic.

If this board closes...We all move on...one time or the other.

Also, I do think Ice do not 'owe' anyone anything.
    Maybe he could have chosen to pass it on, but it's his choice.

If u aren't in his shoes, don't blast him.

<font color=red>SummErs' 'mibu's lone wolf'

8. Guest

Guest Guest

You want me to tell you why I'm pissed? It isn't because a darn Forum closed! It is because...

1) Ice feels no remorse for attacking Ana and saying that she was "a child that fed off it's mother for trying to keep the community together when it's owner announced it's closure!" Despite how this affected her health. She now might need to go to a hospital.

2) When Weltall, Ana, Ninconvert, and others made new boards (like you suggested) I got mad that we weren't loyal to him. Like we didn't have free choice. He even replaced a link to a replacement forum on rumblecity.net with "Shame to those that betray that spirit."

3) He didn't even spend time at his own boards, and is mad when they aren’t "perfect." And he doesn't have any gratitude to the Members, Choujins, and Shenins who spend hours of their lives maintaining/posting at the boards.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

4) He claims that he doesn't owe anyone anything. When he owes Ana a sincere apology. He owes the Mods some kind of compensation. And because of his recent attitude, I'm deciding to cash in on my ROTM win, so he owes me a Nintendo game too!

5) He claims that he isn't keeping the board because of "time" when he previously said it was because of funds. and why didn't he close it sooner? He hasn't been there for MONTHS. This isn't something new.

6) "I figure go all the way or don't go at all..." Then why bother re-opening it? That plainly contradicted your "motto."

7) "it's good to be a little bit selfish sometimes." Sure you took it back, but why say it in the first place? Is it good to be too selfish to admit your mistakes? Is it good to be too selfish to give members of your boards a decent explanation of why it will be closed? Is it good to be selfish, and to remove the link to the replacement forum.

I find it funny that you guys can side with Ice-9 when it is painfully obvious that he will part with this domain once VF4 comes out, an he gets offered some green!

10. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

You are willing to keep virtuafighter.com because you know that you can eventually sell the domain for a great deal of cash.

<hr></blockquote>

No offense man, but Jeff-Maru's been a VF player and avid online personality for a long time. A lot longer than than any of the cities, that's for sure. I'd be surprised to see him sell VF.com for huge cash - besides, domain name cash sprees don't happen much anymore.

Just a quick question for you - do you even know what the original Blast City was?

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

demon, I will only post this once regarding this matter so read carefully because I will not bother again.

RE: Virtuafighter.com for cash

I'm not a big believer of personal attacks, but don't be stupid. I will be employed at Merrill Lynch, investment banking for the summer (yeah I accepted the offer from them). I drive a Porsche Boxter. The notion that I'm hoping to make a free fall of cash from this domain makes me laugh. Moreover, Sega owns the copyright to the domain and could probably force me to give it up at any time. I am fully aware of that.

RE: NURB Cities

I was looking for a buyer because I am a big believer in ownership. There is a much greater chance that the person willing to give money to continue the Cities as best as he or she can, whereas the person that just offered to take it over is liable to ditch it at any time. ana, et. al., this is not an excuse for all of you to jump in saying how committed you are. I did, in fact, find several buyers for NURB Cities. And I should also inform you that I was offered a contract from an established host that guaranteed $1200 a month in banner ad revenue. But I turned them down and decided to close the Cities. If the money thing makes sense to you, that's great, but it doesn't apply to everyone.

RE: NURB domain

NURB was originally a web host and web designing company that I did for a hobby a few years ago. Obviously I got bored of that occupation and decided to get rid of it, and that is why it doesn't seem as though nurb.com has anything else going for it except the Cities.

RE: VFDC

VFDC means so much more to me than the Cities did. This is not to belittle the Cities, but VFDC has been around a lot longer than the Cities and I pretty much know and have met everyone that posts at this board. Yes, in person. I also consider myself a hardcore Virtua Fighter fan. I am not a hardcore Sega, Sony or Nintendo fan, and nowadays the only games I play are 3S, VF3tb and the occasional RPG anyway. Hence on both an intellectual and personal level, VFDC is much closer to me. Finally, if the Cities are the parents of the offspring sites, VFDC is the grandparent. Just to give you a little idea of the background behind this place.

RE: Thankless job

I am sorry, but I don't know where you get the idea that I am not appreciative of the people that have made the Cities so successful. Just look at the damn tombstone pages for God's sake. What does it say? Who do I thank? Are people so insecure of themselves or so fucking anxious to be praised that I have to name specific names?

RE: An apology?

Again, I am sorry, but I fail to see how I owe anything to anyone. In the same context, I also fail to see how you or anyone else involved in the Cities owe me anything (even though I did start the Cities from scratch, give games away for free, spent countless hours a day making the Cities grow at the expense of my grades, etc.). As for ana and company, I have explained the situation adequately in the other thread. Go take a look.

My advice for Weltall and ana are the same for you--get on with your life. Focus on the future and stop bitching about the past.

ice-9

12. AnimeJoe

AnimeJoe Active Member

<<< "4) He claims that he doesn't owe anyone anything. When he owes Ana a sincere apology. He owes the Mods some kind of compensation. And because of his recent attitude, I'm deciding to cash in on my ROTM win, so he owes me a Nintendo game too!" >>>

With all due respect demon, I think you really need to step off your soap dish and leave him be. ice-9 doesn't owe anyone a dam* thing, I don't know how or where you got it into your head that he owes anyone anything. The Mods did their jobs because they wanted to, they weren't expecting anything nor were they promised anything, so again I don't see why you would think he "owes" us anything. In fact, from reading your posts here, you're obviously a tad bit obsessed with the financial side of things, almost every line in your post makes some form of monetary inquiry.
    ------------------

<<< "5) He claims that he isn't keeping the board because of "time" when he previously said it was because of funds. and why didn't he close it sooner? He hasn't been there for MONTHS. This isn't something new." >>>

Yet again, I think you need to back up.. He doesn't owe anyone an explanation for his decision on the fate of the Nurb Cities. I really think you need to just let this go and get on with your life, trying to dig up *conspiracy theories* isn't exactly productive as was the case with the war torn Random City.
    -----------------------

<<< "6) "I figure go all the way or don't go at all..." Then why bother re-opening it? That plainly contradicted your "motto." ">>>

- He allowed it to remain reopened temporarily so we could all say our goodbyes to the place and to one another. No contradiction there..
    ---------------------

13. AnimeJoe

AnimeJoe Active Member

<<< "1) Ice feels no remorse for attacking Ana and saying that she was "a child that fed off it's mother for trying to keep the community together when it's owner announced it's closure!" Despite how this affected her health. She now might need to go to a hospital." >>>

- Dude you are really obsessed with this whole deal, it's dam* near reaching harassment levels. I read the post he made at Sega Cities and didn't see where he was "attacking" anyone, he made a simple comment that you and quite a few others have completely blown WAYYYYYYY the hell out of proportions.. Unless you had those blinders covering both eyes completely you'd see that his comment pertained to the other newly formed messageboards draining alot of the remaining life sources from Sega Cities. And he was completely right, you'd have to be halfway dilusional to believe that Sega Cities wouldn't have been affected by it's supposed 'offsprings'.
    -----------------------------

<<< "3) He didn't even spend time at his own boards, and is mad when they aren’t "perfect." And he doesn't have any gratitude to the Members, Choujins, and Shenins who spend hours of their lives maintaining/posting at the boards." >>>

- Interesting, I've seen the complete opposite. He spent alot of time in the beginning, and spent a significant amount of time up until he reached a point where he couldn't devote as much time to the boards as he used to. In case you didn't realise it, Changes happen in life quite often. We might have lots of free time to do the things we enjoy very much at one point, but there eventually comes a time where we're not able to devote as much time anymore.
    As for "not having any gratitude" or what not, As a former moderator and member of Sega Cities I can say with complete certainty that you're SO wrong.
    ------------------------------

<<< "Also, I happen to know first hand that rebuilding a hackless UBB takes a matter of MINUTES! So I don't see why you couldn't fix the cities right away! I mean it was just corrupted files! I'll even wager they happened from a mis-installed hack because judging from the control panel, that is the type of error I'd get." >>>

Geez! How many friggin times did he fix the Cities only to have them crash over and over again. My last count stopped at 8-10 times.. My only theory regarding the frequent crashes was that the server was strained a bit while trying to house the three Cities, cause I always noticed that the Cities were running decently when one of them was out of commission.. etc-(Tendo City and Shock City ran for a while while Sega Cities was down,,, Sega Cities and Tendo City ran pretty good for a while while Shock City was down,,, but when all three were running, problems eventually arose)

14. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

You know, if you don't like it, leave..no one is forcing you to stay here.

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

15. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I find it funny that u presume to know Ice, when many of us here know him in real life and know the difference between msg board real life.

<font color=red>SummErs' 'mibu's lone wolf'