1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Jean for beginners

Discussion in 'Jean' started by Spuckuk, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Spuckuk

Spuckuk Member

Hi guys.

With the console release, I know theres going to be a bunch of people flooding the site, so I thought I'd do a little damage control for Jean and create a thread for beginner/basic info on Jean.

With not being in previous home versions of the game, it seems theres a real lack of basic info on Jean, re: His key moves, tactics and matchups, perhaps the more experienced arcade players can help guys like me who've been out of the loop get started with the new guy.

Thanks in advance and, yeah, delete this if its in an entirely incorrect area.

2. Oruko_Saki

Oruko_Saki Member

Hi there. I am not very experienced VF player. Have played VF4 EVO on a console with Goh, but i will take up Jean in this one.

Here is the problems i have so far(as of this post i have played for like 6 hours)

-Connecting the last K after b,df P+K,K,fP,!!K!!
    Looks like a just frame input.

-What are his good ring out moves? ffP;bK,P;bP,K(in combos) look good. From what i saw none of his throws are good for RO beside b P+G(RO to his back).

I try to focus more on learning how to defend in this game basically, but something is missing in the training mode for me. In VF 4:E there was a training sort of trail option where u had to defend vs conter attack from the CPU which was either normal attack or 3 different throws. Your goal was to do a side step and buffer 3 throw escapes ending with G for the eventual attack covering both throw and attack counter options from the opponent.
    Here i cannot find such a mode. In Free Mode u can make the CPU counter with a mid or ONE throw which u must choose(can even select random). The enemy record option is cool, but i am spoiled from SCV which have all sorts of shortcuts and all this menu selecting in VF5 annoys me a bit.

I would also like to know which are Jean`s best moves according to the experienced players, which of them are safe and what are his basic punishers. ffP looks like it can be abused.

Lastly, a video thread would be nice. Can u guys provide links to some RECENT matches with Jean from Japan or someone good? All the stuff that i found on ytube were like 1 year old.

Thanks in advance

3. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

For b,df P+K,K,fP,!!K!! you can do everything the fastest way after the first K

For 46P+K you need to delay the last K and time it right.

Here are videos that can help you:

Good players:
    Koedo, Golgo 13, Choutarou (ã“ãˆã©), Puutaa

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2021...rce=http://virtuafighter.com/&medium=20213141

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/20389294
    (Choutarou, Koedo) side crumple combo @25:25

Beat Tribe Cup
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/17765433 (koedo 1:10)

Punishment chart
    -12 PK
    -13 P+K
    -14 6PP
    -15 4KK + mixup canned P/throw
    -17 6K

4. MilkManX

MilkManX Member

Jean is my new main character so I am learning. The first thing was to figure out the Charge move cancels. That helps a ton.

5. Kiu

Kiu Member

EDIT: Nvm, my spacing was just slightly off. XD

But also, just to get this clear, in training mode is the "execution" the start up frames of my move? Wanting to double check what my safe pokes are and whatnot.

6. Juneau

Juneau Member

kinda dropping Lion for Jean

im using this moves personally

PK - quick punish

P+K - nice keep away move. but all hits are high and leaves you out for a punish

66P - the lunge punch is a staple. has nice pushback on hit and block. nice range. use when at a reasonable range. if hit can be put up on mixups.

66P+K - works like the lunge punch but much more suiting close range

QCF P+K - high sabaki. works like 66P but more punishable

46P+K~KPPKP~K - a very important mixups after 66P and QCF P+K. guard breaks on high leads to string combo afterward.

4KP - staple mid string for mixups

1P+K - an awesome move. it's not only for a hard bound for big combos. it crushes 2Ps and goes slightly back so it cannot be thrown. if hit lead to combos like 2P 33PK

1P - nice low move. nice for mixups

33PK - it tracks if opponent sidesteps to one side. highly useful in wall combos
    can be charged for a high unblockable. Release the charge halfway through if the opponent starts predicting that move by crouching for a surprise mid attack.

6P+K hit sidestepping opponents. leads to combo 1P+K/3K+G~~~~

the charge attacks are a plus since on block it has tons advantage

7. Johnesie

Johnesie New Member

Hello,

I am a beginner at VF. I chose to main Jean because a friend told me it was a good character to learn the game with (which was confirmed further by LA Akira in his "getting started" videos).

While it's probably true exectuion-wise, I have some big trouble understanding how to play him, because i just always feel at a huge disadvantage against characters that have very fast high-low mixups during their strings or can throw crouching characters... and then i panic and start mashing. In fact, i feel like Jean is lacking options and i really struggle opening guard and dealing damage. Thus, i am under a strong impression that Jean requires a very proficient player to be dangerous, while some other characters like Brad or Pai have more moves but seem easier to play (= you can win free games against beginners/intermediate players just using their fast mixups and very quick circulars).

Do some other new Jean players feel the same ? Do veterans have some advice on what i need to work on specifically to play this character ?

8. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

I recommend you should pick up the character you like, or you feel comfortable with. Jean is not friendly enough for newcomers in my opinion, but it doesn't mean newcomer can't handle him.

You can just practice some characters on dojo to figure out who you prefer, playing a character you like is the most important thing to start.

9. Skkcrc

Skkcrc Member

If you want to rack up a ton of wins online, using Jean isn't the easiest road. Pai, Lau, Brad, or Sarah are far better before players really start to learn the game. Those guys can just stick newer players in a long string and high/low until they're dead. Since most of the players you'll see online are pretty new to the game (myself included), constant agressive play will work better. For now.

I think Jean was recommended as a good starter character because his gameplay revolves around virtua fighter fundamentals. You have to learn to watch your opponent's habits, hit confirm your attacks, throw at the right times, defend well so that you get advantage, and fight up close. If you're not doing that, yeah, I could see how playing Jean would be really frustrating.

edit: Found this video of a solid Jean player - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnOyn7Iy3Ko His whole playstyle is jab into mid/throw, crouch jab into mid/throw, and defend then retaliate. Trying watching it from the perspective of the eileen player, and try to see why she is getting hit and thrown so often. Particularly watch how Jean is using his charge moves when he knows that the other player is scared.

10. Fulan

Fulan Well-Known Member

i think hes plenty friendly for beginners. he really doesn't have all that muchto be confused about.

11. Johnesie

Johnesie New Member

Hi guys,

Many thanks for your answers.

I DO want to use Jean, an Emo-Visual Kei-French-Karateka is just pure awesomeness!

In fact, i just wanted to know if the fact that i lose against all sorts of quick and tricky characters derives from that i am a beginner or that i did not know some particular things about Jean's gameplay. I think i wrote it badly in the first place, but i got my answer from your comments, i just have to hit the Dojo and play as much as possible.

(Please excuse my akward english)

12. kyokujean

kyokujean New Member

thanks for all the tips.

I am trying to get back into virtua fighter (haven't played since VF4Evo) and have picked Jean.

Hopefully I can contribute some to the Jean playing community.

13. RagingGhost

RagingGhost Member

Okay, what makes Jean great for beginners?

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Member

What makes him great for beginners is that he forces you to learn the fundamentals of the game, rather than relying on a couple tricks or big combos. He only has two moves that have any kind of tricky input, and neither are necessary for him to win with. He is about making correct reads, and punishing accordingly. He has his gimmicks just like any character, but he relies less on them than some of the other cast members.

I think some people read "great for beginners" as meaning a character they can just pick up and steamroll with. Jean definitely isn't that. He makes you learn how to actually play the game to be successful. If you do that, then he is very strong.

Elite, Tenryuga and Kiu like this.
  15. RagingGhost

RagingGhost Member

So basically, master Jean, master the game. Got it.

16. Izuna_Shoryuken

Izuna_Shoryuken Well-Known Member

what the heck is hit confirming in a 3d fighter?

17. Izuna_Shoryuken

Izuna_Shoryuken Well-Known Member

Honestly those two moves- which I dub as Jean's "Deadly Raves"- are pretty beneficial. Jean is pretty lateral and an opponent can catch onto his attacks. The first one nets free damage on a high blocking opponent as soon as it connects (on guard).

The other one has to hit, but I think the first hit is really advantageous, unless I confused it with another move in the frame data.

18. Steel_Samurai

Steel_Samurai New Member

It's similar to a 2d game, but instead of following up with a combo, it lets you know what to follow up with due to your positive/negative frames.
    For example, it is important to hit confirm Jean's elbow because on counterhit you get a whopping +7 advantage and you can do whatever you want after, but if the opponent blocks you are -4 and probably want to crouch dash fuzzy guard or evade

19. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Similar? Isn't it exactly the same thing? Determining whether your move landed hit or CH or was blocked and following up with the best response with no wasted time.