1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Jean Move Analysis

Discussion in 'Jean' started by DK, May 19, 2016.

1. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

Alright guys and gals

As the most lazy CM of Jean, I have done only a few things to contribute to the wiki...
    Fear not, I have been working/dreaming of writing a multi page essay on [6][6][P] and its NH and CH setups.
    Now, aside from [6][6][P], I feel that Jean is a very straight forward character (and im pretty bad) and there isn't much else that needs to analyzed.

So, i just wanted to run all these by you guys and see if im missing any

NH
    [6][6][P], [6][6][P], [6][6], [3][3][P][K]
    [6][6][P], [2][K][K]
    [6][6][P], [3][K][K]
    [6][6][P], [6][6], throw
    [6][6][P], GB
    the normal ones yeah?

Wall to opponents back
    [6][6][P], [3][3][P][K], [9][K][+][G] combo so on and so on
    [6][6][P], [2][K][K], [P][K][P](Charge)[K], [3][3][P][K]

CH (this is where it gets fun)
    Above still apply

[6][6][P], [4][P][+][K] Combo so on and so on
    [6][6][P], [2][K][+][G]
    [6][6][P], [6][6], [6][6], [6][6], gb
    [6][6][P], Many dashes/wasted frames, throw
    [6][6][P], OM any side, FULL CHARGE [6][6][K], [K][K], [6][6], [2][P], [9][K][+][G], [3][3][P][K] (the "GT" unblockable setup)
    [6][6][P] OM towards jeans front foot, ST CH[K][+][G], [6][6][P], CH[6][K] combo so on and so on
    So the thing with above is that it complements the unblockable setup as the unblockable setup conditions the opponents to evade, and if they evade, the [K][+][G] will hit CH ST and guarantee a free [6][6][P] which guarantees a CH [6][K] for massive damage.

Opponents back to the wall
    [6][6][P], [3][3][P][K] This is still the "safest' option for the highest reward
    [6][6][P], [2][K][+][G] Nets full wallsplat

Im sure there are a few more bnb/good set ups that I cant think of atm.
    So please, help me out... anything glaring that I missed?
    Which other moves should i include in a top5/10 move analyis?

Also, this analysis may be written tomorrow or in a few weeks.
    Please be patient... anyway vf players are good at patience, we have been waiting 10 years (6 years since FS) for vf6

Ellis likes this.
  2. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    The only thing you need to to with Jean's 66P is to mix 2KK and 3KK from NH as it's hit confirmable into KND and on CH do the OM, charge K UB setup.

3. DK

Only using 3kk and 2kk is kind of a waste imo. 66p 66p gives a small combo on NH. And you can evade the unblockable setup

4. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

if you get [6][6][P] from BT you get your max dmg [6][K] combos

5. YOMI

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    On CH, no less.

Never understood why 66P causes CH state.

6. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    Charge [K] executes a little faster than Charge [6][6][K], but the combo on hit does less damage.

In the OM situation, Jean can modify his charge moves into circulars to discourage evading. [4][P] Charge [P][K] on CH can give a free BT CH [6][6][P].

7. Tricky

I recall it being on NH.

8. YOMI

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    If 66P hits into the opponent's back, the following 6K will be a CH.

9. DK

@Tricky @YOMI yep 6k will hit CH. I have that in my original post.

@Cozby thanks for input. I actually use the 4pp(charge)k setup myself. Forgot to include it for some reason

10. Tricky

It should be in the first list of NH's then. I don't see it in there. 66P is the NHing move, the 6K is combo part that allows you to use CH6K combos.

11. DK

I guess it would work off NH 66p as well. Just figured that it'd be smarter to use when given a larger false advantage by a CH 66p

12. Tricky

It's a combo, not a mixup. BT NH 66P is a combo starter so the smartest thing to do is what leads to the most damage.

13. DK

right see, we're talking about 2 different things. I'm saying if the first 66p from the front is CH, then doing OM k+g is the setup. But yeah, if that ST K+g setup hits, the You get a free 66p which will hit NH and also guarantee a CH 6k launcher. So yeah, if you catch your opponent evading with the ST k+g the rest of it is guaranteed, but I would only try using this if the 1st 66p hits CH

14. Tricky

There are a lot of ways your opponent can end up BT outside of those OM K+G from sideturn set up you got there. They're just BT and in neutral frames. Since you're exploring the uses of that move, this just seems like an omission to me. BT setups can be quite common, especially when you are dealing with situations after throw breaks, for example, most of Eileen's throws leave her BT if they are broken.

15. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Is it worth even mentioning Wall to opponents back for [6][6][P]? shouldn't Jean always be using [4][K][P] in that situation anyway?

16. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    None of the OM stuff is as reliable as the other stuff, but the OM does guarantee a ST situation. As he wrote, its only good off of [6][6][P] CH. The reward for a good [K][+][G] makes it noteworthy. [3][K] is also good, as well as proper use of the [3][3][P], [4][P], and [9][K] strings.

[4][K] is safer than [3][3][P], but [3][3][P][K] gives much more damage across the cast. Worth mentioning that both ([4][K][P] and [3][3][P][K]) are really easy to confirm off of a wall hit.

17. DK

I see what you mean. It's better to take the guaranteed damage from 4kp rather than go for a 66p and then gamble on a mid low mixup. Getting the opponent with the 66p 33pk will be around 130 damage on a 50% chance, but 4kp is a 100% guaranteed 90ish

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  18. DK

Alright, so basically you want me to include NH BT 66p 6k as its own thing?

19. Tricky

exactly. It becoming a true combo from BT is HUGE! I don't' know of other moves that work that way.

20. DK

ah ha now we are getting somewhere. Haha. I'll make sure and mention that 6k is guaranteed off any type of 66p hit