1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Jeffry Vs Wolf - Heavyweights comparisons

Discussion in 'Jeffry' started by MadeManG74, Oct 8, 2018.

1. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

After playing a bit of Jeffry recently and diving into him more than usual, I wanted to discuss him Vs my long time main of Wolf.

I feel like Jeffry has a better striking game then wolf. Not that he's a better character, but I think people underestimate him when saying "he's wolf but not as good"

He's got better CH launchers imo, with 3p+k being similar to Wolf 6K, but Jeffry also has 6P+K which is an excellent long range CH launcher too.

Then Jeffry straight up has great long range moves to pursue an opponent. 426p+k goes far, does the best launch in the game and is safe on block, and 66p+k covers distance and is also safe with a big chunk of damage and swaps position

Wolf long distance mids are the shoulder charge or 4k+g, both unsafe. Wolf can also utilise 1p+k, But damage isn't the same.

Jeff also has Drop Anchor as a low wall combo starter, something wolf really lacks.

I also wanted to say I loved Scoop Kick (1k+g), 17f mid that launches standing or crouching the same for good damage and if safe! Wolf's equivalent seems harder to do (33p+k) under pressure, and also is punishable on block.
    Both have 3k+g though which is slower but overall probably the better move?

Thoughts from Jeffrey and Wolf experts? I love playing both characters and find a lot I really liked about Jeff, hoping some stuff I can transfer over to Wolf play too!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Kruza likes this.
  2. Jason Elbow

Jason Elbow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Although Wolf's 4 K+G is -10 on block (throw punishable) with proper spacing and the fact he has a delayable follow up this attack can be hard to punish.

MadeManG74 likes this.
  3. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    I will say Jeff can create more ways of getting damage then Wolf, but I say overall damage output goes to Wolf.

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    The original concept used to be that both are big, damaging wrestlers where Wolf used to be more throw-oriented while Jeffry more strike- (and combo-)oriented.

This is not exactly true in FS, but you can see the original roots in their design.

5. Harpooneer

Harpooneer Well-Known Member

XBL:
    poisonhorse
    Just a couple of things I highlighted above. 6P+K is better than you thought. It's a mid that crushes highs after start up, and launches on normal hit. Scoop kick, unfortunately, is worse than you said, because it is 20 frames startup. Still one of his great moves, especially cancelling a backdash. It manipulates his hitbox, scrapes the ground to beat low profile moves, and leads to great damage on light-light midweight.

I do want to point out that Jeff gets lower strike damage than Wolf in most cases. For CH, 3P+K can get to around 80 on Eileen, but you'll be getting mid-60s for mids. I think 6K for Wolf nets an easy 75 on everyone, with better specifics. Shoulder combos with Wolf also tend to be more damaging than Knee combos for Jeff, but they are closer. Jeffry really gets better strike damage than Wolf when it comes to two specific situations: CH toe kick, splash (111 damage), and wall combos / pressure. I think that 3K+G also leads to more damage for Jeff. The damage is not his great strength though.

Building on your range arguments, his range moves are incredible. 41236P+K isn't as good as you think, because it's really easy to sidestep. If they techroll you can catch evade mashers by meaty timing it though. Some range moves to try out you might be overlooking:
    P+K: his best move overall. 15f mid with a high followup that is easy to hitcheck. +8 on CH, the followup also has a hit throw on CH you can check people with. It reaches really far, and is great to use outside elbow range.

3K: one of the best sidekicks in the game. The only bad thing about it is it won't stagger backdashing characters (but you have 4P+K headbutt for that). 16f, longer reach than most character moves with 20f startup! Great for whiff punishing and it knocks down so you can set up pressure or a throw.

K: great whiff punish that you can hit check into a string. Against lightweights you can hitcheck into the full KP, threat, PP, ender combo. Mid+ you have to CH to hitcheck it. If you want to throw caution to the wind and just buffer KP you'll end up getting 2Ped a lot when they block the K.

66PP: Jeff's only safe mid-mid string. Moves him really far forward and is only 16f (17f if you weren't in a buffer situation because of the 66 input). There's an EXmid followup that isn't too great, but is +3 on CH and is incredibly delayable (go on, check how long you can delay this!). A good strategy is to use delay strats (below) to get value out of this move and close the distance with pressure.

43PP: Best ranged move in the game, come at me. There is a reason both hits are punishable. This is an amazing string. Jeff swings back about half a character distance, and then reaches around the world twice to deliver a double hammer. This move beats sabakis and most counters, is highly evasive (fuck your elbow, are you kidding me with that 2P?), is easy to hitcheck, knocks down NH and CH, and is seriously delayable. Using delay strats, the first strike becomes a mixup for the opponent on block to balance the risk / reward.

As for differences with Wolf, you're right about ranged play. I also want to point out that Jeff gets a lot more value out of delay than Wolf does. Most of Jeffry's strings have a large delay window (P+KP, 4PK, 6PP, 66PP, 2KP, etc.). Most characters seem to only have a few strings like this, but almost all of Jeff's strings have this property. If you ever watch me play, you'll see most people that play me do not buffer a response after blocking my 6P. Whether that is a decision they know they are making or not, it is based on the fact that the followup for 6P is a punishable 2 handed mid that will fuck up their day near the wall and knock them down elsewhere. Because of this, you can get away with abare a lot more as Jeff, because people will delay their response to see if your string is finished. This is so legit that Sega's official character guide video for FS mentions it, and you see it even in Japanese play. I think that if I can land a throw after a blocked elbow, I'm so happy I don't care if I lose! The delay window is so insane, and really is what makes Jeff unique. Think of how scary Taka is with delayed twin pistons, and then imagine that for every string! This is probably why most of Jeff's moves are intentionally not great, and why his damage is lower than other heavies in most situations (again, not the wall, not toe kick CH). The delay game is applied to so much that it really makes his matches exciting, and you have to mix it up more than you expect.

Keep playing Jeff!
    EDIT: @MadeManG74 I saw some of your play! You're doing good with Jeff already! One combo for you vs Akira and Jacky for NH knee only (can be hard to hitcheck but good damage!): P+K, Threat, PP, 4PK.
    Also the Jacko Damage wall combo is Wall Hit, 41236P+K, 43P+K, 4K, Threat, PP, 4KP for most damage. If you are too close to them the threat will bounce them away from the wall and you won't get the bound, so you do Wall Hit, 41236P+K, 43P+K, 4KP into low wall crumple, 2KP or 43PP.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  6. MadeManG74

I actually found it felt that way a lot. For the reasons I outlined above, I felt like Jeff had more striking options than Wolf, especially launchers, CH and long range moves.
    Wolf definitely had the grappling advantage, and I found that was it was mostly his Catch-Throws that I missed the most when playing Jeff, although his regular throw game is probably stronger as well.

Huh, 6P+K crushes highs? That's really good! On that same note, I noticed that 66P+K also goes under highs, which was great to beat high attack match openers too.

I didn't realise Scoop was 20f start up, but still seems really useful, again especially liked that it gets the same damage on standing or crouching and is safe.

I know what you mean, it looks like damage might not be as good, but probably comparable? I think Jeff gets the edge with utlity in striking though, more effective guard break, long range CH moves etc. At least that's how I felt about it in my short time really learning him.

P+K: his best move overall. 15f mid with a high followup that is easy to hitcheck. +8 on CH, the followup also has a hit throw on CH you can check people with. It reaches really far, and is great to use outside elbow range.

3K: one of the best sidekicks in the game. The only bad thing about it is it won't stagger backdashing characters (but you have 4P+K headbutt for that). 16f, longer reach than most character moves with 20f startup! Great for whiff punishing and it knocks down so you can set up pressure or a throw.

K: great whiff punish that you can hit check into a string. Against lightweights you can hitcheck into the full KP, threat, PP, ender combo. Mid+ you have to CH to hitcheck it. If you want to throw caution to the wind and just buffer KP you'll end up getting 2Ped a lot when they block the K.

66PP: Jeff's only safe mid-mid string. Moves him really far forward and is only 16f (17f if you weren't in a buffer situation because of the 66 input). There's an EXmid followup that isn't too great, but is +3 on CH and is incredibly delayable (go on, check how long you can delay this!). A good strategy is to use delay strats (below) to get value out of this move and close the distance with pressure.

43PP: Best ranged move in the game, come at me. There is a reason both hits are punishable. This is an amazing string. Jeff swings back about half a character distance, and then reaches around the world twice to deliver a double hammer. This move beats sabakis and most counters, is highly evasive (fuck your elbow, are you kidding me with that 2P?), is easy to hitcheck, knocks down NH and CH, and is seriously delayable. Using delay strats, the first strike becomes a mixup for the opponent on block to balance the risk / reward.

[/quote]

Thanks! I used a lot of these moves already, but there's some stuff I didn't know. I wasn't aware of the range on P+K for example, no idea it was longer reaching than 6P!
    I do love Jeff's neutral K as well, it gets so much better reward on hit than Wolf it seems, or at least it's easier to capitalise on for me.

Thanks for the wall combo, I I was experimenting with the ...4KP, wall-slump, 2P, Air throw. It didn't seem that consistent, and I'm sure I dropped it a few times on stream :p

I'm actually considering going back to full-time Wolf, but I definitely want to keep my Jeff play up, if not go to him full time.

Harpooneer likes this.
  7. Harpooneer

XBL:
    poisonhorse
    I definitely agree that Jeff has more utility in striking. I never feel like I don't have options. Lows are a bit underwhelming, with 1K being the only one to use at range or in a speed sensitive situation. Still, the mids are really good.
    6P+K and 66P+K have the same property of low profiling highs after they have started. They don't crush, though, so you won't beat high options when you're both playing frame tight. Still, due to the ranges you can pull these moves, the properties come out when people try to P or K you out of your approach, or if they go for slow full circulars and such.

MadeManG74 likes this.
  8. MadeManG74

Lows are underwhelming, but it is certainly nice to have the 2K+G causing a wall stagger, something that Wolf lacks. I think Jeff can also stagger from 1P under the right circumstances?

9. Harpooneer

XBL:
    poisonhorse
    1P is hitcheckable on CH, but it isn't a true low, and is also around 20f, so you really only use it to crush, or to set up a wall splat. 2K+G is awesome, but it is so slow that you really only want to use it when your opponent is afraid. It also lacks range. It's great on sideturn though, and I like it better than side throw for when I think they will block on the side.

10. MadeManG74

I never even thought of using it on side turn... That's given me lots to think about

11. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    I think 2 K+G is a meaty right?

12. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    I like to mix 63214 P P with 62 K after a blocked P. 63214 P P is one of the best EX Mids in the game. A great choice for opponents that like to duck Wolf's throw attempts.

13. Harpooneer

XBL:
    poisonhorse
    2K+G can be made meaty. It has a lot of startup so very little buffer is needed. Sideturn it gives so much advantage on hit that characters cannot block P (thanks to STLtim for that, he showed me once), but they can duck it as long as they don't hold G. I can't remember exactly why that is, but I do know that on CH when they are sideturn you get PPP for free (you are +13 at that point). It's good to mix that with 4P+K headbutt or 3PP launcher which becomes safe on block when the enemy is sideturned.
    Getting enemies sideturned without risking a bunch of throws or sweeps isn't too bad if you can CH or stagger confirm off of while rising 3P. The second hit in the string sideturns them and you're +5. Because while rising PP is 16f (17 if you buffer it to do from standing), I tend not to use it much in favor of 4K and 3P+K which net guaranteed damage and knockdowns in CH situations. You might like it though.
    Another couple of fun things about sideturn:
    2P+K is 0 on block. Jacko loves this one.
    Toe Kick CH to splash is normally a small window (I think 3 frames?) to guarantee, but sideturn it is ridiculously easy to do.
    K+G and Threat K+G are +6 on block. I use this to setup for CH toe kick.
    3PP is only -11 on sideturn if I remember right. This means that you can throw it out against everyone except 11f jab characters for free.
    Knee is only -9 on sideturn. A lot of people will try to throw you after knee, so you can do 2 in a row and get a launch. Once they expect it, you can basically just block or evade for free, because the risk of getting kneed is usually not worth 1/3 chance of throw for them.
    33P is even better at -7. It scrapes the ground, too, but because it is so slow, many situations will see the opponent turning to guard it correctly. If you practice (and I haven't so I never use it), you can meaty 33P to connect as the techrolling enemy gets up sideturned after certain knockdowns. If they block you're only -7 so that's pretty awesome.

14. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    2 p+k is dunk elbow right?

15. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Wait....6 K+G becomes only -9 on sideturn?!! W-what!