1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Kage: Final Tuned

Discussion in 'Kage' started by Myke, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Kage

The expected double handed attack has been added. This should be a relief in battles against Aoi. Also, the attacks from Jumonji have been polished up, so watch out.

If there are players who are thrilled about the [2_][3][P]'s revival, to being the strongest iteration yet, then there are probably also Kage players who are writhing about the changing of [4][P]+[G] to [6][3][2][1][4][P]+[G].
    How these changes will affect the development of kage from here we don't know. Kage, who seems to have been changed so that he depends on getting into Jumonji, while of course having his mid range battle tactics and strength in turning the battle around, applying his jumonji at close range to to somehow fool his opponent seems to be becoming important.

The strings from [4][K], a main move in the previous version. In this version you can go into BT jumonji, and the attacking variations have also increased. From BT jumonji, the attacking options are a high punch (BT Jumonji [P]), a mid attack (BT Jumonji [P]+[K]) and a low attack (BT jumonji [2][P]). If you use these well can niggle the opposition, so pay attention to the attack from this stance.

About Changed Moves

The A1 and A2 [2_][3][P] attacks are both 15 frames, and on counter hit both allow for combos. However, the A2 attack has different combos depending on foot stance and the hit effect. It seems like in future studies, the ability to get higher damage off the A2 attack is likely.

The B changed attack that is important is the 17 frame [4][6][K] Knee. On CH, this causes a vital area crumble, and knocks the opponent down.

Captions

- The [4][K] still has its sabaki effect, but has been further strengthened. You should use it a lot.
    - Also, if the BT jumonji [P]+[K] hits a crouching opponent, it will stagger them.
    - The motion for B1 [4][6][K] has changed and whether it can change into jumonji stance is still unkown.
    - Finally, the expected knee class attack has been added, so we can expect his damage to jump.

source: Arcadia Issue 52
    translated by: noodalls

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

To quickly add, you can go into BT Jumonji from [4][6][K] by holding the [K]. It's pretty good in that sense.

Also, the upper will not knock down on mC, but the long chop will.

A2 is clearly better than A1. B1 and B2 are about the same in terms of overall utility, depending on your playing style.

3. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Played a lot of FT Kage last night, and it basically took me all night to only begin to adjust. I don't want to sound like a whiner, but he certainly must work harder now.

With the A1 Upper not floating during mC, after guarding a slow low attack (eg. sweeps) you should instead use things like [2][P]+[K][K] or the dragon punch. The knee [2_][6][K] is good too, but can whiff against those really low recovering moves, especially from range.

The B1 [4][6][K] is sped up from it's Evo version, but doesn't have the guard break property. Instead, on guard, it forces them to crouch. Not too sure what effective followups there are after guard, if any.

The new two handed attack, [3][P]+[K], doesn't appear to have many uses. It's a nice anti-inashi or reversal tool, but on hit, they get pushed too far away.

Finally the [4][P] is a High Elbow class (used to be High Punch). This is good news versus Jacky and Vanessa's neutral inashi.

BT Jumonji is certainly a bonus, but like regular Jumonji still requires some guesswork and conditioning.

The Jumonji hit throw timing seems to be pretty easy. Not the same can be said for the dragon punch combo timing though. I've only managed 3 hits so far, but this was my first night and trying to "learn" while not losing seemed impossible. I may need to duck back to the arcade when nobody's around for some practice. [6][2][3][P]+[K][P] against a wall seems to have some further combo potential.

Some new TFT combos for FT:

TFT - [2_][6][K] - [4][P][K] - [2][K]+[G]
    Works on Vanessa, Brad, Lei, Lion, Lau.

TFT - [2_][6][K] - [4][P] - [6][2][3][P]+[K][K]
    Works on Shun, and takes off 1 dp.

4. PGhacker

PGhacker Well-Known Member

wats up
    the new TFT combo you've mentioned : [2_][6][K], [4][P], [6][2][3][P]+[K],[K] also works on Lau and down in my experience.

also, P+K from BK jumonji can be held down to get out of jumonji stance. So if P+K is counter hit from BK jumonji, then it's stomach crumble so [3][K]+[G] is possible for extra damage. If you decide not to hold it, and if it's blocked, P+K will sabaki a lot of attacks the opponent will use.

another thing, i would prefer to use the [2_][3][P] as it is, becuz i find that most people don't do anything after getting normal hit by it, so TFT goes in most of the time. of course, the A2 [2_][3][P] is good for combos, but since the standard [2_][3][P] is now changed so that the opponent doesnt fall on mC, i believe it has its uses.. after all, VF is all about the mind game.

I just wrote few thoughts after playing FT

5. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Myke said:
    The B1 [4][6][K] is sped up from it's Evo version, but doesn't have the guard break property. Instead, on guard, it forces them to crouch. Not too sure what effective followups there are after guard, if any.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to 1/60sec, it's +1 on normal guard and +3 if you go into jumonji. I'm pretty sure that JM BT [P]+[K] is 15 frame, so you can force a guessing game if they sit there and block.

edit: oh, and is the best followup to the MC [4][6]+[K] (knee style) just [3]+[K]+[G]? Seems like that move isn't all that useful compared to spinny [4][6]+[K]. MC [4][6]+[K], [3]+[K]+[G] is only 61 damage, and the move is TC.
    Old [2_][3]+[P], [6_]+[P], [6][2][3]+[P]+[K] I think is better for an MC situation, since it's almost as much damage, and safe to boot.

Someone find out if you can do MC [4][6]+[K] (knee), [K]+[G][P][P] or something like that for more damage.

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Myke, add Kage to your first TFT combo.

Dandy, I'm not sure what the exact combo is, but I remember a [2][P] in there somewhere. Knee > [2][P] > [6][K]+[G] > stomp?

7. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Regarding Kage's knee [4][6][K], on counter hit it causes a groin crumble. These types of crumbles don't allow for much float opportunity, so I'm not surprised that [3][K]+[G] seems to be the best followup. While it may be throw counterable, it does have the ability to hit grounded opponents. Compare this with his more commonly used* ground hitting moves, [3][K]+[G] and the DP which are both rape counterable /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif and it's not a bad tool to have.

I think the guarded +3 on the heavy circular kick into JM is pretty damn good though, and seeing as though we have no way of accessing the change moves, I'm going to have to get used to it! I just checked 1/60sec and it says that BT JM [P]+[K] is 16 exe, which is a shame. Had it been 15 exe, then you could beat a [2][P] at +3.

With the new BT JM options it should make for some interesting TFT - [4][P] (hold [P]) cross over combos.

TFT - [4][P] (hold [P]) - BT JM [P][K] (hold [K]) - [2][P]+[K][K] or DP or something else?

I like the changed kick in the [6][2][3][P]+[K][K], it seems to hit much lower now. I think the JM running jump kick has the same hit dynamic too, so maybe we can start seeing JM running jump kicks in TFT combos that aren't wall assisted.

*the [4][K]+[G] can also hit off the ground too and recovers much quicker.

8. supergolden

supergolden Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

I was messing around and I think the standard TFT combo works on Akira now:

TFT [2_][6][K] [1][P]([G])[P][6][P]+[K]

The new dragon punch combo is such a pain to do... One night I did it twice in a row (all four hits) and I havn't done it since...

-Alex

9. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [ QUOTE ]
    supergolden said:

I was messing around and I think the standard TFT combo works on Akira now:

TFT [2_][6][K] [1][P]([G])[P][6][P]+[K]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Akira has been made a bit lighter now which is good. Anyway don't you mean [6][K]+[G]? And is the [1][P] with or without the kick cancel? i.e. should it be [1][P][K][G]? I forgot to try it last time.

[ QUOTE ]
    The new dragon punch combo is such a pain to do... One night I did it twice in a row (all four hits) and I havn't done it since...

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding! Anyway I was just doing some reading now and found that 1/60sec has the frame input info for the 623P+KPPK.

It shows that the input window for the [P][K][K] is 4 frames, 3 frames and 2 frames respectively. The interesting thing is if you input the [P] on the last (4th) frame, then the inputs for the remaining series are pushed out by one frame, but the windows remain the same. Just when I thought it couldn't get more complicated...

10. PGhacker

A2[2_][3_][P] - [4][4][P] - [P][K][G] - [7][K]+[G]

that combo works from open stance...
    but the [4][4][P] has to be timed so that the opponent will bounce and refloat. cra-z damage

11. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [ QUOTE ]
    PGhacker said:

A2[2_][3_][P] - [4][4][P] - [P][K][G] - [7][K]+[G]

that combo works from closed stance...
    but the [4][4][P] has to be timed so that the opponent will bounce and refloat. cra-z damage

[/ QUOTE ]

The same combo is possible from [3][P] in closed stance, and is great against Shun. -3 dp!

12. PGhacker

sorry my bad, i meant open stance.
    but thx for that info myke

13. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Old chop versus upper:

A question came to mind while watching this:

Minami(Kage) vs ?(Kage)
    http://www.beat-tribe.com/movie/2004bay_05_0103.wmv

I noticed in the first round, Minami does:

[2_][3][P](VF4 chop) -> [P] -> [6][K]+[G] -> ground kick

After seeing quite a few Kage clips, I can't help but think that the evo upper is completely useless in FT (except for the +4 hit). Am I missing something? Are you noticing any higher float with the evo upper compared to the old chop?

14. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    DRE, it's funny you mentioned that clip because after watching that combo, my mind is made up 100% toward the chop. I'm getting a friend to make a new Kage card for me with the change moves set, and I can't wait to get my hands on it!

In regard to the upper giving a higher float, to be honest, I haven't noticed any different, but then again float opportunities with the damn upper are few and far between. All the old combos still work though (e.g. open stance on vanessa: upper, p, 2p+k, dp), but the chop just seems way more versatile allowing for a standard no brainer followups, to sobering shun, to using the 6k+g in closed stance.

BTW, the +4 for the upper is only after a minor counter. Otherwise it's just a +2 on hit. Having the chop float on minor counter though is just way too good to pass up.

15. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

so...
    his new [2][3_][P] (assume using vf4) is -6 instead of his upper's -5...
    TFT is now half circle...
    [3][P] has lower reach...

Are those the only nerfs so far? Because he's getting a lot of new benefits for a supposedly strong char in evo.

There's gotta be something else, right?

16. PGhacker

[ QUOTE ]
    SiYkO said:

so...
    his new [2][3_][P] (assume using vf4) is -6 instead of his upper's -5...
    TFT is now half circle...
    [3][P] has lower reach...

Are those the only nerfs so far? Because he's getting a lot of new benefits for a supposedly strong char in evo.

There's gotta be something else, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

what

17. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

FT Kage is definitely not nerfed.

They took away a few things that were abused, but gave him many things that make up for it completely.

Evo upper was weakened, but the combos after ver C chop are just as good.

TFT was changed to half-circle, but it does MORE damage in a lot of situations. TFT, Knee, [4]+[P][K], [2]+[K]+[G] works on most MW characters, and does 82 damage. The standard [1]+[P][K][G],[P] MW combo now works on Akira.

[6]+[P]+[G] is better because of [6][2][3]+[P]+[K][P][K][K].

Elbow has a bigger hitbox.

[3]+[P] range went down, but it's still being used effectively from what I see in videos. Same with [K]+[G].

He now has an effective mid from BT (JM BT [P]+[K]).

He now has a decently fast, good damage low from JM (hit throw).

His BT JM sweep is really untelegraphed, making it seem really fast. If they didn't change it from Evo, it's only -7 if you stay in JM, so you are free to sabaki/roll away (this may be changed, I don't know).

The fact is, he got a couple of abuseable things toned down, but he gained sooooo many mixup options it's stupid. He can use any and all of his JM/BT JM mixups on wakeup, in addition to everything he already had outside of JM.

I came to the realization like a month ago that EVERY character got stronger in FT, no matter how much or how little they needed it.

edit: except Pai lol

2nd edit: Oh, and JM run [K] is better. I saw in a match someone blocked it, didn't struggle fast enough, and got hit by JM [K]+[G] for free. I forsee JM running [K] into JM [6]+[P]/JM [P]+[G] mixups.

18. supergolden

supergolden Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

Yeah I messed up the notation, you got it right... just the standard TFT, knee, db p guard cancel, p, f+k+g...

-Alex

[ QUOTE ]
    Myke said:
    Yeah, Akira has been made a bit lighter now which is good. Anyway don't you mean [6][K]+[G]? And is the [1][P] with or without the kick cancel? i.e. should it be [1][P][K][G]? I forgot to try it last time.

[/ QUOTE ]

19. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Actually I forgot to follow up on this too. I've been doing this combo a lot against the Akiras here and find that I have to [1][P][K][G] (as opposed to just [1][P][G]) in order for the combo to work. Just like against Jacky.

20. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

<font color="white">Kage-Maru</font>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<font color="white">Overview</font>

Only by a Ninja-like tricky movement, can you effectively exercise Kage's strengths. One of Kage's trademarks is the usage of his Jumonji stance. In this version, Kage is now able to attack from a back turned Jumonji, and he now has moves that will allow him to go into back turned Jumonji. It is from this new stance that you can create a complex set of attacks. Since you can counter a variety of possibilities, Kage is able to apply a large amount of pressure. With his large set of quick movements, the key to winning with Kage is to bait the opponent with your movements, and decide the match with his powerful set of throws.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<font color="white">Change moves</font>

A1 Yougeki

[2_][3][P]
    Upper class speed floater attack. In the previous version you were able to float the opponent on mC, but now it requires LC or above to float. On normal hit, Kage has small advantage, on mC Kage is at a large advantage.

A2 Ganzanha

[2_][3][P]
    Also an upper class speed attack. This attack forces crouch on normal hit, and gives Kage small advantage. On hits more than mC you can float your opponent. It is important to remember, however, that the follow up combo is dependent on each opponent. Although Kage is at disadvantage on guard, the move is uncounterable.

B1 Uratsumujigeri

[4][6][K]
    This move is a half circular special high that leaves Kage backturned. Although the execution is quite slow, it will give Kage advantage on guard, and also can be followed with a combo on counter hit. You can hold the button down to go into back turned jumonji, from which you can set up many kinds of offensive options.

B2 Doukudaki

[4][6][K]
    On counter hit, it will cause a vital area crumple, which can be combo'ed with [3][K]+[G]. The execution is fast at elbow class speed, but it is throw counterable on block. This move should be used at a nitaku option at large advantage.

<font color="white">New Moves and Key Changes</font>

[6][P] – The motion for the elbow is changed a little, and the hit detection is now stronger. (Longer reach I think.) Moves like Akira's [2_][6][P]+[K] can no longer go through this move, so you can use it safely.

[4][K] (hold [K]) - The hit detection phase for the kick is now shorter, and disadvantage on block has been made greater. Holding the [K] allows you to go into backturned jumonji.

[P]+[K] - On normal hit this move now causes a head crumple. If the move is guarded, now it will cause a stagger.

[6][P]+[K][P] - The execution of the first part is made shorter to upper class speed, and the command for the second part has been changed.

[6][2][3][P]+[K][P][K][K] - A new string from which can be done after the first hit is guarded or on hit. If you can connect all 4 hits, it will get you a nice chunk of damage. Each hit must make contact with the opponent and inputed at that time for the next hit to execute.

[2][P]+[K][K] (hold [K]) - You can now go into back turned jumonji after this move. Since the recovery is very large, it's meaningless to use this move outside of combos. By going into back turned jumonji, you now have more variations if the opponent TRs.

[3][P]+[K] - This move doesn't do anything special on hit, but the recovery on guard is rather small. Since it's a two handed attack, it's useful to beat sabakis.

[3][K]+[G] (hold [K]+[G]) - You can go into back turned jumonji, same things apply as [2][P]+[K][K].

(Jumonji Stance) [6][6] (While running) [3][K]+[G] (on hit) [P]+[G] - A sliding low attack that can be executed from the Jumonji run. There is a large recovery on guard, but on normal hit you can get the hit throw, so it's a large risk/reward move.

(Backturned Jumonji) [P] - A fast high attack from backturned jumonji. It's basically the same move as [P] from jumonji and can be followed up by the same sequence as such. The move that had the same command in the previous version is now changed to [P]+[K].

(Backturned Jumonji) [8] or [2] - A side flip that leaves Kage face forward again. Since this move has a very high evasive property, you can use it even at disadvantaged situations to avoid linear attacks from the opponent. However, the execution of the move is rather long, so in many cases, Kage is at a disadvantage after the move.

HCB [P]+[G] - Command change for TFT. Since the input for the throw is now much longer, it is harder to do the throw in an instant.

[4][P]+[G] - The new throw from the old TFT command now results in a much weaker throw with small damage. There is no reason to use this throw over the TFT if you have a choice. Furthermore, the throw escape animation is the same as the TFT.

Other Notes: On back turned jumonji, you can do a catch throw ([P]+[G]) or a guard crushing attack [P]+[G][P]. Kage now no longer have a low back throw as before, so you must now do something else after guarding Kage's [4][4][K]+[G].

<font color="white">Execution Frames for Key Moves</font>

[P] 12
    [4][P] 13
    [6][P] 14
    [2_][3][P] (A1) 15
    [2_][3][P] (A2) 15
    [6][P]+[K] 15
    [6][2][3][P]+[K] 15
    [3][K] 16
    [2][K]+[G] 16
    [K]+[G] 17
    [4][6][K] (B2) 17