1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lau and Pai's Backturned ub+K

Discussion in 'Lau' started by Deniz, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

While doing research on the various movelists, I have encountered some move oddities. In particular, I am curious about two similar backturned attacks: Lau and Pai's backturned uf+K. In both cases, I have found the backturned move to be unusually difficult to execute. They seem to have a very narrow window of execution --seemingly requiring one frame of tapping ub and K simultaneously. The PS2 training mode claims these moves need to be buffered, but buffering doesn't work -- in fact, in Pai's case, buffering while doing b+P+K+G (to get her to turn) causes a sweep to come out. Is there some special trick with these moves (as there is with Kage's backturned ub+K)? I realize this isn't a major concern for the more experienced players; I am just curious, and doing a Search was of no help. Thanks.

2. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

The PS2 training mode claims these moves need to be buffered, but buffering doesn't work -- in fact, in Pai's case, buffering while doing b+P+K+G (to get her to turn) causes a sweep to come out.

<hr></blockquote>

I believe the training mode is correct - that you need to buffer in the move in order for it to come out easily. With regard to Pai, you need to guard cancel after the b+p+k+g before buffering in the u/b+k, so you don't end up with the canned combo. Also try buffering it with Lau, after his bb+p.

This has always been one of the more difficult moves to execute, given the u/b will turn Pai or Lau around. You always saw it in situations where it could be buffered, as you already know, the timing otherwise is very strict.

Where you saw it most in VF3 would be that Pai would execute a single swallow kick to hop over a downed opponent, execute another one to perhaps gain some distance/wait for the opponent to low rising attack, then buffer in the u/b+k to hit the riser with the flipkick. Very stylish, and it actually worked pretty well.

-Jason