1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lei

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by alantan, Dec 8, 2001.

1. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

I went to bugis early afternoon on Sat b4 all the good players arrive and I managed to get some deccent practise on Lei.

I finally can get the (crane) d+k, k, d+p+k+g, p, p+k, u/f+k+g, d/f+k combo to hit vs middle light weights. For heavy weight, the u/f+k+g will not connect, but k+g will I think. Fantastic combo but getting the crane d+k to hit is pretty tough. I need a stronger mid combo in crane stance to force opponnet to stand up. Is the crane k+g good? It makes opponent fall to the bum right if hit, I think.Is there any confirmed followup?? maybe d+p+k+g,p+k???

Stance change. Can we buffer stance change into move recovery?? Like after d+p+k+g,p+k, u+p+k+g, d+k. If I can buffer stance change into moves recovery then the crane d+k is much more powerful.Do we have time to buffer a u+k+p+g after we loses initiative as a for of reversal or does the stance change takes too long??

Is the u/f+k any good? Looks that it can float VERY high (even on normal hit? good for punishing blocked low moves?) .

2. retsam

retsam Member

Alantan, Excellent post. I am a beginner Lei Fei player. Im not quite able to remember all the combos I use just yet. Some how I play most of my characters intuitively. Dont ask me how it works but the VF system is perfect for this kind of 'intuition' play. Im actually living in Tokyo right now so the competition is pretty stiff. I've been holding my own at least for a few rounds with most Akiras. I will make an attempt at observations and try to post a little bit in the future. Thanks for the info tho!!!

-RetsaM

3. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

that's great.

It is always nice to hear news from Japan. Although Lei has very good combos, it is nice to at least know what you are doing :) I know it is hard with Lei, especially with all the stance changes but it is good to know exactly what you should or should not do.

Seriously I have never seen such a strong low attack in VF4. I think Feixaq posted that the scorpian (is this the correct name) k after the crane d+k can be struggled out off at long range but it is still one hell of a combo from a NORMAL low hit. Guranteed against everyone except Heavy characters + akira/Jacky. Anyway I need a similar combo for the crane k+g to force opponent to stand up. Any ideas??

4. UnCauzi

UnCauzi Well-Known Member

Is it me or is Lei's
    F+k,k unblockable if the first move hits and sometimes after that hit k for the twirly jumping kick and hit K again for that same High back turn kick move if they block the twirly kick it seems to hit too?

I made absolutely no sense ;)

5. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I finally can get the (crane) d+k, k, d+p+k+g, p, p+k, u/f+k+g, d/f+k combo to hit vs middle light weights. For heavy weight, the u/f+k+g will not connect, but k+g will I think. Fantastic combo but getting the crane d+k to hit is pretty tough. I need a stronger mid combo in crane stance to force opponnet to stand up. Is the crane k+g good? It makes opponent fall to the bum right if hit, I think.Is there any confirmed followup?? maybe d+p+k+g,p+k???

A lot of people get used to blocking PP ~ (crane) d+K after you do it too often, so I'd mix it up with PP ~ (G) and PP ~ (crane) K+G and PPP. The (crane) K+G is good because it forces the mid/low guessing game again if it connects. No guaranteed followups, but you have a pretty good advantage so you can force another guessing game using ff+P or throw or d+K+G afterwards.

Stance change. Can we buffer stance change into move recovery?? Like after d+p+k+g,p+k, u+p+k+g, d+k. If I can buffer stance change into moves recovery then the crane d+k is much more powerful.Do we have time to buffer a u+k+p+g after we loses initiative as a for of reversal or does the stance change takes too long??

d+P+K+G is the most bufferable stance. u+P+K+G is somewhat bufferable, but the example you gave is not really bufferable because scorpion P+K recovers a little too slow for that (although it's a nice trick move to use in a flowchart). db+P+K+G is not very bufferable, and tiger stance is pretty darned slow compared to the other three stances.

Is the u/f+k any good? Looks that it can float VERY high (even on normal hit? good for punishing blocked low moves?) .

uf+K is much slower than uf+K+G so generally use uf+K+G in counter situations. uf+K can be comboed into df,df+K+G,K,K+G though (more for looks than anything else). I'll show you some other fun Lei stuff that Howard (segaduck) and I developed when I come back to Singapore later this week. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

6. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Followups after the Crane: k+g (opponent far or close)

(opponent far or close)
    f,f+k (hold), (crane):
    option 1- k+g
    option 2- k,k+g
    option 3- k,k+g

(opponent close)
    df, df, p, p, d+pk, p

uf+k+g, p+k, p, p

7. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Yes and No..

The horse kick is one of Lei Fei's options as he enters the Tiger stance. I'll call it the tiger stance loosely translated. This particular stance can only be entered by the following methods.

From No Stance:
    f+K
    ff+K+G
    d+PK, P
    df+PK, P
    df+PK, P
    u+K

Paradise Stance (b/d+PKG)
    K

Options once in the tiger stance:
    P
    K

d+K*, P**, P

*exits into dPKG stance
    *exits into uPKG stance

The P or K move from the tiger stance is among Lei Fei's most devasting moves.

The P move will counterattack any high/medium attack. Note that large attacks such at Akira's double palm and aerial attacks are not affected. Upon successful hit you'll notice the sucking sound which means the opponents was countered. The opponent will also stagger to the ground meaning you can connect a PK, P, P.

The K will execute the horse kick. This attack is immune to low sweeping attacks and will cause the opponent to fall on their butt. As you enter the paradise stance (dPKG).

A good followup is
    dK

Another option is to:
    K, (bdPKG stance), K(tiger stance) .... repeat

However you can be creative and enter another stance and invent another deviation to confuse opponent and control the game by creating more oppurtunities to connect a crane dk combo.

Hitting guard will put you with your back to your opponent. This opens up more possiblities. Lei is actually very powerful with his back to the opponent.

With Back to opponent:

K
    -a powerful medium attack which is fast and ducks high attacks. You can repeat as you remain with back to opponent after execution. It also hits the opponent as they bounce off the ground.

K+G
    -same as above but this floats opponent

dK
    -very fast sweep. To end the combo or to exit.

u or d
    -dodge away if opponent does a flying move at you. IE Kage's cannonball kick (ff+PKG)

The tiger stance is a move in which you use the opponents aggression against themselves. It takes a lot of courage to use the tiger stance as it seems to very restricting and vulnerable. But its great for forcing mistakes out of the opponent.