1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lindberg Style Arcade Cabinet

Discussion in 'Console' started by L_A, Mar 5, 2008.

1. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

A few months ago when I was in japan I realized that I liked the style and shape of the Lindbergh cabinet so much that I was considering importing one and trying to hook it up to a pc, xbox and ps3. I did some research and it basically boiled down to being a bad idea due to a few reasons...
    1. Compatibility issues between the lindberghs JVS monitors and JAMMA/component/HDMI.
    2. Unit and shipping cost.
    3. Lack of ventalation if I decided to put a PC and consoles inside the cabinet.

Instead, I decided to make one that looked similar and had the same dimensions and angles but was modified to suit my needs. It's a work in progress right now and I will update this post as things move along but heres some images from the start.

Akuma001 has provided me with VSHGs modded for both PS3 and XBOX 360 and KOD threw together an extension cable for the xbox 360 memory card port which will be accessible from the front panel above the VSHGs.

[​IMG]
    Sitting in an akiba arcade armed with a sketchpad and a tapemeasure, I quickly scribbled down the most important measurements.

[​IMG]
    With the measurements and two background images, I created a to scale simple mock up of the lindbergh cab.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I took some liberties and redesigned the cabinet into one piece with proper ventilation and enough room to house a pc, xbox, ps3 and a car amp.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some work on the control panel...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This time the lip of the CP has rounded edges. Something missing from the last one

[​IMG]
    Back from the painter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Installed the monitors, usb/xbox mem card panel and speakers. Placed the vshg on the panel to mark where the screw holes need to be drilled.

[​IMG]
    Started the wiring for the amps and the speakers.

[​IMG]
    Speakers are being driven by two alpine car amps and a PC power supply. The front panel on the 1p side has a switch to turn this on or off as well as select between audio inputs and voulme control.

[​IMG]
    A quick test to make sure the video and audio is working properly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wiring up the component video splitter, subwoofer, power stirp and the front panel audio controls.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hooking up the VSHGs. 001 "Jay" was kind enough to provide the mod for the vshg so it works both on ps3 and xbox.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The aftermath....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's some work on the front panel usb and mem card port. I had some pieces of metal fabricated to hold the usb and xbox memory card slot in place. The plugs were then fastened into place using some epoxy.

All Done! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

when I get some time i'll add some descriptions for some of the images.

2. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

GREAT work man.

3. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

That is awesome man. Hmmm...maybe I should move to SoCal. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

4. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Oh hell yes!

Can't wait to see this beast in person . . .

5. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

Nice work & time you put into this ambitious project.

6. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

I think, I think I love you L_A_Akira...

7. C1REX

C1REX Well-Known Member

8. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

9. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

Lol did you up that there or did someone else put it there? Dopeness spreads like wildfire.

10. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

I didnt put it there and I dont know who put it there. :p

11. Aoimaster

Aoimaster Well-Known Member

Damn you LA Akira, damn you! I am totally tongue tied!!! You are full of WIN! So what type of monitor/lcd you gonna use?

12. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    (laughs) that shows again that VF is not just a game, it's a culture, a community. Hope it will be forever

13. PineTree

PineTree Well-Known Member

PSN:
    xPINETREEx
    XBL:
    PinesTree
    Wow...I'm speechless great job la_akira!! You also did that other one posted in this thread right? Also awesome unit.

So by looking at the pics you posted I'd say you're a carpenter or something. I would probably never do something like that, but my father owns a construction business and does custom cabinetry for kitchens, baths, etc. Maybe with the measurements you provided and if you don't mind, what type of wood and other things necessary to build the cabinet I can also maybe one day do something similar. Heck, maybe we can collaborate on what works better if I decide to do it.

I also had my VSHG grade modded to work on the 360 by 001.

Thanks, Abe

14. MarkMan

MarkMan Well-Known Member

OMG great work! I am in LOVE...

I wish I had one of these.

15. GMonroy

GMonroy Well-Known Member

Awesome man! Simply awesome.

16. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Actually, he does 3D modeling, rendering, and animating.

17. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    Awesome job man keep it up

18. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses, guys.

The pix have been updated...

19. 001

001 Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

lookin slick there. can't wait to see the finished product. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

20. ZeroEx

ZeroEx Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zeextremekid
    XBL:
    Zeextremekid
    That is friggin awesome man, great job constructing this.
    I can't wait to see how this'll turn out /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif