1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lion the "SideWinder"

Discussion in 'Lion' started by FedUp101, Sep 2, 2012.

1. FedUp101

FedUp101 Member

After watching videos and reading forums, Lion is absolutely deadly when he has his opponent side turned.
    He has so many tools/attack to put opponent in a "side turned" state.

One of my favorite side turned combos I learned from watching French tournament on Youtube is..
    HCF p+k,336p+k counter hit , 46p+k, p, 43p+k, 6pp
    -damage is upper 80 90s, close to 100 after a downed attack.

What other side turn moves in Lion's repertoire are you favorites?
    Do you have any advice/combos that put your opponent in a side turned state and keep there?

Again I love VFC!!
    You guys make newbs like me want to learn more about this game.

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

There's a lot to do with Lion when opponent is side-turned. However, I only just started working on this aspect of Lion's game--a lot of other players know a lot more about what is best to do with Lion here.

I will point out a few things I really like though:

First, remember this tidbit that a friend translated from the Final Showdown Guide:
    This is how much extra frame advantage you get when an attack you do connects (Guard, Normal Hit, Major Counter) with an opponent who is side-turned. The damage in the chart is based on the base damage--the damage that move would inflict on Normal Hit.

This information has also been posted in a couple of other threads, but I think redundancy is good so I have no problems reiterating it. Though the Mook was based on a prior build of Final Showdown but this information should still be the same.

I really like 3P+K because, as I mentioned in another thread, on Side-Turn you are guaranteed a 44K combo. Which combo you do is based on your opponent's character, but this is big damage.

However, I like to use 336P+K like you mentioned where applicable, because the damage is higher but here's how I would break it down so far (and I'm still experimenting).

336P+K is suited for when the total frames of the opponent's attack (combined with the timing of your evade) leaves him open to guaranteed attacks. On Minor Counter (hitting the opponent during the recovery frames of an attack) and Major Counter 336P+K crumples a side-turned opponent. 336P+K will only push the opponent if it is a Normal Hit.

3P+K works really well when the opponent is standing (it will whiff a crouching opponent) and it works against opponents on Normal Hit as well as Major Counter and Minor Counter. 3P+K is also easier to implement, though 336P+K should be a familiar motion for more experienced Lion players.

I also like to use PKP because it seems to combo on side-turn (cannot confirm though I know this was talked about in another thread). It has worked for me though, but I have not fully explored this so I cannot say much beyond "it's working for me."

Another piece that is relevant (especially in understanding your opponent's risk of doing an evade while side-turned against you) is something that Tricky has found and posted in the Evade-Counterability thread, so I will quote it here:

I know other Lion players like Chibitox and Darksoul have much more to say about utilizing Lion's Side-Turn attack game. I am only just starting to utilize it. So I hope they will chime in with their experiences, and I hope later on I can chime in with my experiences too ^_^

3. AnimalStaccato

AnimalStaccato Well-Known Member

It definitely does dude. It's been that way since Vanilla.
    [/quote]

Chanchai likes this.
  4. Darksoul173

Darksoul173 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darksoul173

and what is hcf P+K?

5. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Most of the side turned game options are explained in the main Lion thread, I suggest you take a look at it, it's one the most important thing to learn with lion in this version because he probably has the best side turned game of all chars and can creat the opportunities using both a low and a mid that are are circulars.

Also please try to post in the main thread, rather than creating a new topic, it will keep the Lion forum clearer, there's already too many "single move" topic imo. Or if you feel it's worth a new topic, give it a name that is more intelligible ;)

6. FedUp101

FedUp101 Member

meant hcf p..got too excited there

7. Stl_Tim

Stl_Tim Well-Known Member

I remembered from awhile ago rodnutz asking me,”why don’t I throw from sideturn as a decent mixup after 41236p is hit confirmed?”

Honestly, it whiffed too often, so I left it alone.
    Recently, I decided to test out opn/clsd stance and close/medium range 41236p.

My results fall into 4 ranks:
    A: Works in every possible stance.
    B: Works in every stance except closed stance @ medium range.
    C: Works only in open stance.
    F: Doesn’t work at all, wtf?!?

Results:
    A Rank:
    -Wolf, Jacky, Jean, Van, Jeff, Brad, Dural.

B Rank:
    -Blaze, Lion, Taka, Lei, Sarah, Kage, Akira, Goh, Lau.

C Rank:
    -Pai, Aoi, Shun.

F Rank:
    -Eileen

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  8. Ares-olimpico

Ares-olimpico Well-Known Member Content Manager Lion

PSN:
    ares-olimpico
    This is trying to throw after succeful 41236p?

9. Stl_Tim

10. Jason Elbow

Jason Elbow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    @Ares-olimpico it's better to use the [6][1][P][+][G] throw. It can't be broken and leads to another potential mix up. The opponent can just te any other throw.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    oneida likes this.
  11. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Two questions:
    1. For B, what did you define as "medium range"?
    2. Do A and C work at any range? That is, even if you hit at maximum range, the throw still connects?

12. Jason Elbow

Jason Elbow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    This sounds like Tim's usual over-analytical gibberish he always spouts. Although throw is a good mix up is isn't a option that is sorely based on range. It's stupid. If throw was based on range then [6][1][P][+][G] would be the best throw option.

13. Stl_Tim

B refers to the distance you started a match or starting distance in dojo.

A works for everything in regards to starting range and closest range for both open and closed stances.

C works for everything in regards to starting range and closest range, but open stance only.

14. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    It might be a good option, but I wouldn't necessarily say "it's better" because Catch Throws have their advantages (eats certain attacks, can't be broken) and disadvantages (slower to execute, follow-ups can be broken) over Normal Throws. So the "best" option really depends on your opponent's defensive ability (or lack thereof) from Side Turned.

In any case, you're distracting the conversation with subjectivity on what's good, better or best to do with advantage against a Side Turned opponent. What this is attempting to show is that if you decide to throw the Side Turned opponent, then there are other factors to consider (opponent's character, stance and range) that may determine success.

So does re-writing it like this still agree with your findings?

A: Works in both stances at close and medium range
    B: Works in both stances at close range, and open stance at medium range only
    C: Works in open stance at medium range only
    F: Does not work

And are you saying that despite how close you are to Eileen, the throw does not work? Is it because she gets pushed too far away?

15. Stl_Tim

A: correct
    B: closed close ok, closed medium no, open close ok, and open medium ok.
    C: open close ok, open medium ok. closed medium no, closed close no.
    D: it Whiffs eileen in any situation.

It does indeed appear to push her out of range.

Knowing this really opens up lion’s side game and forces opponents into guessing.

Eileen you should switch to 6p+k which is 2 frames more.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017