1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lion Ver.D Item Win-Pose!

Discussion in 'Lion' started by Truesonic2k, May 23, 2008.

1. Truesonic2k

Truesonic2k Well-Known Member

2. F1RE_FL00D

F1RE_FL00D Active Member

What the heck was that? Horrible

3. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

Capture the flag man... I'm down with it!

4. Vortigar

Vortigar Well-Known Member

Ok, and I thought Brad's was bad...
    At least he's still kinda funny.
    This is just sad.

Even after a mirror match or vs Eileen, I still can't imagine even a grin appearing on my face.

5. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Wow... that was... ummm... silly. But not silly-ha-ha, more like silly-wth?

6. Truesonic2k

Truesonic2k Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that there was already a Brad Vid showing off his Version D pose yet.

7. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Yeah, Myke posted it in the Brad vids thread. It was funny-meh, kinda funny but meh.

8. Sp00n

Sp00n Well-Known Member

9. Gernburgs

Dude, it DEFINITELY has something to do with that! FOR SURE. It has to be some kind of joke or razz on Namco. It HAS TO BE.

Lion's win pose is way too similar to that video to not be related. The camera angle was the same, everything was the same (except a gay dude grabbing the flag/phallic-symbol instead of two hot Asian chicks...)

Really good find and memory!

I honestly think the developers are alluding to the fact that Lion is gay. His items are really gay if you think about it.

-He has two man-purses
    -He wears dangley earrings in BOTH ears
    -He has a relatively large amount of pink and purple clothing
    -His hands are always in the "limp-wrist position"
    -He has a pink cell phone!
    -Pink sunglasses
    -He has a zebra-print cowboy hat! WTF?!?

10. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    *dives at a flag*

eating up the elderly is so unkewl
    This isn't awesome how? Seriously; I thought Jacky's was super retarded/awesome, this is the greatest thing to happen to VF.

And I'm not being sarcastic.
    -----

Gernburgs; you wanna know what's gay?

Analyzing the sexual preference of a character from a video game.

11. LucidNightmare

LucidNightmare Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was definitely a very weird win-pose! lol

12. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

Haters. That was amazing. hahahha

13. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I think you meant Tecmo, but anyway.

Why are people so offended by this win pose?

If you've never seen it before, diving for the flag is a common training exercise and sport for beach life savers. They start lying face down in the sand, sprint for around 20m, then dive for a flag. There's usually one less flag than competitors, and the game continues on in knock-out fashion until a winner is declared. The fact that it's a beach activity is probably why it's featured in DOAX2.

For me, when I saw the win pose I was reminded of that old VF3 CG movie where Lion dives to save a puppy from an oncoming car.

14. Vortigar

Vortigar Well-Known Member

Gern Burgs:
    Only the earrings are weird, but then, Brad has earrings too.

Pink, light purple, soft toned clothes, shoulder bags (though not purses) are common in Europe and there's no problem with a man wearing them. Pink was THE color for mens-wear two years back. There are guys in pink shirts at the office all the time over here (ages from 20 to 50), mostly married. Really, his clothes are not gay. From my meagre experience with them, gay people in Europe tend to dress more like the American tough guy stereotype I'd say, jeans across the board, and a load of muscle shirts.

The rest is all down to the Japanese and their tacky taste and want for flashy colors I think. He dresses like a Japanese hipster really. Which I think emulates the glam-rocky type ala Bowie, who always let everybody speculate about his sexuality before marrying a super-model.

aside:
    And when I was talking about it being unfunny I was referring to the line he utters and the intonation. The flag grabbing I had no problem with. Didn't even know it was in DoAX.

Which brings me to another point: You guys played DoAX? Really? Myke, can I cancel my account, the other guests are scaring me...

15. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Agree that the line is corny, but it's no better or worse than the stuff he and other characters already say, IMO.

Also agree with most of what Vortigar says. However, taste is subject so what's "tacky" to you may not be to others.

Our perceptions, especially into other/foreign cultures are usually constrained by the palette of our own experience. What's cool, hip, tough, and macho for a Western audience isn't necessarily so elsewhere, and vice versa.

We play a game that is catered toward a Japanese market, yet it never ceases to amaze me the amount of times this very subject comes up. I sometimes wonder how some people on here would react if they actually visited Japan!? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

At the end of the day, who really cares if AM2 are trying to represent a particular sexual preference with a character? Are people that insecure about themselves that they fear some kind of association? Does it detract from the fun you have playing this game because Lion isn't a buff steroid-filled Gears of War extra? If you answer yes to any of the above, then perhaps DOAX will make you feel better /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

p.s. for the record I've never played DOAX, nor will I ever play any of Itagaki's hentai projects!

16. Sp00n

Sp00n Well-Known Member

*waves hand*
    I play Doax! Proud of it too!
    It's Ecchi, not Hentai btw. If it was hentai then Zack would be on the island, actively putting his pono into vagoo's. erhm, so yea..
    And yes, the game is utter crap. But it has kasumi... mmmm kasumi
    mmmmm

oh wait, what were we talking about again?

17. Gernburgs

I like using Lion! I think it's great when I win with him not only cause my opponent "just got beaten up by the gay dude" and because, although I've complained before, I like that he is considered "low tier" by some. Just makes me feel good when I win with him.

Beyond all that, I love his deceptive style and quick attacks. Plus, I think mantis kung fu may just be the coolest martial arts style ever invented. I love "the mantis claw/fist!!!" What a cool way to hold your hands and fight! You can hook your opponent and poke his eyes out.

BTW, I was NOT trying to say anything bad about gay people or ANYONE else. I just though that the developers may have intended Lion to be a little effeminate. I usually try to make my Lion look as feminie as possible. My character data for him is named "Flying Gay"! Shit man, I'm proud!

Edit: I think it was the Zebra-print cowboy hat that really had me thinking he was on the feminine side originally. Maybe that's just "in" in Japan and I didn't know. But believe me, I couldn't care less what the vitua-sexual orientation of my character is.

18. kevinrafale

kevinrafale Well-Known Member

So... Let me get this straight, Lion has a CTF Win pose now, and Vanessa is supposed to have a gun? :p

Dude, It's Virtua Fighter Meets Unreal Tournament /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif :p lol

19. SuperPanda

SuperPanda Well-Known Member

While I agree that there will always be things "lost in translation", it still makes me wonder how some of the win taunts were approved.

I mean, mumbling "Beating up the elderly is so uncool?" while diving for a flag.

Seriously now...

20. kevinrafale

kevinrafale Well-Known Member

is it 'uncool'? or 'uncouth'?
    just as it cuts at the end, i cant really tell