1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

MC topic; exactly what will count as an MC

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by ReCharredSigh, Mar 30, 2002.

1. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

ok, i know what MC is, and i know how to do it, but does doing a move and connecting it when the opponent is dodging produce an MC?

i know akira's LBF hitting a dodging opponent produces this, but will this apply to other moves, like maybe his SDE.

and can you MC with a catch throw? i read in some other post that a catch throw will beat strikes(provided the opponent is standing) given you have enough initiative and KGs, but i'd like to make sure i didn't get wrong info; i do know a normal throw will beat a catch throw.

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

ok, i know what MC is, and i know how to do it, but does doing a move and connecting it when the opponent is dodging produce an MC?

i know akira's LBF hitting a dodging opponent produces this, but will this apply to other moves, like maybe his SDE.

Yep, hits during dodges count as major counters, and the low backfist is one of them. You won't see the super dashing elbow interrupt a dodge because it's completely dodgable. Dodge-able? anyway. While d/f+PK is specially made to be irritatingly not-dodge-able.

And yeah, you can interrupt attacks with catch throws, something that almost never happens with regular throws. That makes catch throws useful in some situations where a regular throw might fail... for example you see some wolf players trying u/f+P+G after ground pickups.

3. a_l_e_x

a_l_e_x Active Member

I asked something similar before... Does interupted throws/reversal attempts count as MC?

Two observation leads me to think may be they do...

Vanessa's [G]u+P need MC hits to get KD down, but sometimes opp tried throw while I [G]u+P, and got the KD down.

Pai's D_f+P needs MC to get a float, but there was once an opp Pai low punch, I was expecting a throw, so I do throw-escape, but that Pai do lifting palms instead, and I got floated.

Well it could be merely something with that two moves(and some others), I am not sure. Hope someone with PS2 can do some tests on it, check the damage when a interupted throws happends.

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I asked something similar before... Does interupted throws/reversal attempts count as MC?

Yes. The PS2 training mode confirms it.. there's text that actually says something like "a counterhit during the opponent's attack, throw attempt, or reversal will result in special knockdowns sometimes" ... or something close to those words.

And for practical play, I see MCing a dodge produce crumple with akira's d/f+PK.. major counter with d+K+G during a mid reversal produced a knockdown for aoi... etc.

5. a_l_e_x

a_l_e_x Active Member

Thanks Creed.

"a counterhit during the opponent's attack, throw attempt, or reversal will result in special knockdowns sometimes"

So that give you KD, Float, etc, AND the 50% damage bonus(as in interupting attacks)? Sorry, should have asked this in my first post...

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

yeah, presumably. I try to assume nothing about AM2 though lately... they might make MCing reversals and throws extra special, and only applicable to a few attacks, or with special knockdowns but no damage bonus, or some other weird exceptions to the rule.

7. a_l_e_x

a_l_e_x Active Member

thanks. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif