1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Microtransactions For Virtua Fighter 6

Discussion in 'General' started by masterpo, Feb 23, 2018.

1. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    How can Sega sell future versions of Virtua Fighter in the new video game era of microtransactions?

IMHO I think microtransactions would ruin the game. I think adding pay to play, or pay to win schemes (alla EA's UFC Ultimate Team mode) is a bad idea for Arcade Fighting games(especially VF). On the other hand, Sega should have a way to support and justify a high quality Virtua Fighter series. Game mode DLC and various game editions might be the answer ;)

I think Virtua Fighter as most fighting games have at least 2 distinct audiences (probably more) but at least two.

Audience 1: Those casual players that enjoy single player modes, and two player modes (used mostly with local friends and family)

Audience 2: Those casual and hardcore players that prefer two player and multiplayer modes, those that travel to play VF, those that are not very interested in playing against the AI or in single player modes.

Obviously there are combinations of the two audiences, but these represent two major categories of Virtua Fighter players. There is always a question as to which one of these audiences is the largest. The casuals might be the largest but Audience 2 might be the most important from a game promotion point of view. I would like to see real statistics on both audiences.

In either case a pricing / packaging strategy could be developed separately for both audiences for instance:

Single Player Pricing/Packaging Model:

Base 1/2 player game with arcade mode $49.99
    Base 1/2 player game with arcade mode + survival mode $59.99
    Base 1/2 player game with arcade mode + survival mode + team battle mode $69.99
    Base 1/2 player game with arcade mode + survival + team Battle mode $79.99
    Customizations DLC $14.99 packages

Multi Player Pricing/Packaging Model

Base 1/2 player game with arcade mode + online player matches $59.99.
    Base 1/2 play game with Arcade mode + online player + room matches $69.99
    Base 1/2 player game with Arcade mode + online player + room + online rank $79.99
    Customizations DLC $14.99 packages

Deluxe Edition Full Single Player/Multiplayer Model $99.99

Customization DLC $14.99 packages

Online Statistics Packages $14.99 Includes:

Display of online rank during rank mode matches
    Win/Loss Statistics during rank mode matches
    License Mode Rank during player/room/rank mode matches
    Break down for the player of wins/loss against each VF character played on line.
    Customization of gamer tag during online rank matches

License Mode $14.99
    Special Sparring only unlockable from License Mode!

Story Mode $14.99

Deluxe Arcade Mode that adds to the Arcade Mode Cutscenes and Quest Challenges, Character Intros and Character Endings.

Virtua Fighter Champion Edition

Deluxe Edition + License Mode + Story Mode + Online Statistics $149.99

I think a pricing structure like this would keep Virtua Fighter out of the Micro Transaction trap and really allow fans to get the version of the game they like most.

What do you think? Would any of this pricing strategy increase the odds of getting Virtua Fighter 6 and maybe Virtua Fighter 7?

Would you pay $99 for the Deluxe Edition or $149 for the Champion Edition :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    beanboy likes this.
  2. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

I will admit, I'm not a fan of microtransactions.:p

But maybe for example:
    VF6 gets released, then after a good long year, sega decides
    to release a few more stages, (a stages pack), I wouldn't mind
    paying for that. Even though I'd rather it be free.

But for me overall, I'd rather pay for a full complete game.
    Then, probably buy new dlc stuff, stages, costume stuff etc.
    after a year passes by.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  3. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

No! No pay to win. If SEGA does this they can expect a huge backlash in the magnitude of the initial release of SFV. It sucks that you can't unlock items by only playing in VF5FS. If there's hope for us gamers is that the loot boxing and microtransactions abuses will get investigated by the US Federal Commission:

4. GustavoHeisenberg

GustavoHeisenberg Well-Known Member

That will ruin the game, just have 2 simple choices perhaps (make the game a digital exclusive like Final Showdown):

£60 Standard Edition with an honest grind

£160 Deluxe Edition with everything unlocked + bonus content (this is for folks with jobs and no time to grind)

(Of course with rip-off DLC for everything held back by either the grind or bonus)