1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

myke! big thumbs up for the news section!

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Sudden_Death, Oct 25, 2000.

1. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

a much needed section.

keep it up.

finally!!

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Site and forum updates

Thanks.

It was something I'd been meaning to do for a long time now, but it wasn't until recently where a lot of site updates have been coming in from various sources that motivated me enough to set it up.

I'm planning on another forum update over the next few days. New features will include:

[*]Post Polls - although I might turn this off since I find polls, in general, to be ugly and a waste of time. If you think otherwise, I want to hear why. I want this place to be a discussion forum, not a voting booth.
    [*]Enhanced private messages - allows for copies of private messages and read receipts.
    [*]Address book - add users that you converse with often to your address book.
    [*]User controlled style sheets - more control on the look and feel in the forums.
    [*]Member list - browse through all registered users, with various sorting options.
    [*]Time offset - choose a time offset which more accurately reflects your local time, rather than that of the server.

..and just some small bug fixes to boot.

3. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

Re: Site and forum updates

one request:

KILLFILES.

--
    "A chem bla deshembla blurr fuh bli fouzh"

4. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

LOL. I understand that some 'hacks' have been written implementing killfiles, but these are based only on usernames. The cute thing is if you view a person's profile, you are told how many people have added this person to their killfile :)

I guess it's a start, but I would prefer traditional killfiles which could act on either usernames, thread topics, message content, etc. I'm hesitant to install a hack especially since it hasn't been written specifically for the version I'm updating to, though I'm sure the author of wwwthreads has killfiles on his to-do list. Stay tuned Rich, help is on it's way! :)

5. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

BTW, what are killfiles?

Who makes this board btw? I mean, the general template and layout of it? Is that a question to ask Ice?

Great job Myke, it's awesome that you put up the admin only news forum. I'm assuming VFX news will go there? Or should we just keep those in the VF forum?

-Chanchai

6. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Killfiles will allow you to filter out messages (so that you'll never see them) based on criteria you set, whether it be posts from a particular user, or pattern matching within the subject or message body.

Who makes the board? I think it's pretty much the work of one man with the support of many others, continually improving the product. Head on over to http://www.wwwthreads.org if you're really interested. Back in the day of the old versus city, where we went from a simple threaded script to the (ugly and terribly bloated) UBB and back again, I suggested this forum (along with another) to Jeff, and being pleased with what he saw he went and paid for the licensed product. That's about where Jeff's involvement in the setup of these forums ended and mine begun.

The style template was kept at it's default, and Jeff liked it so much, he actually used it throughout the entire site. Who remembers the old colour scheme? :)

In regard to VFX news, yeah, we'll post something as soon as Sega reveal something more than a splash page.

7. Chanchai

*Phew* Glad I wasn't around during the UBB days, I DESPISE THAT FORMAT!!!!

Cool, yeah official news mostly if not only of course/images/icons/smile.gif

Myke, is this pretty much your site now? hehehehehe

If Jeff ever tires of paying for this site and all, have him contact me and I'll run it/images/icons/tongue.gif

-Chanchai

8. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

It's not my site. I'm just helping out because I want to, and because I can.

As for ongoing costs, I'm not sure how much Jeff is paying, but my sydvoc site sets me back a whopping $8.50USD per month (or thereabouts), so I don't think the payments would ever be an issue :)

9. Chanchai

cool/images/icons/smile.gif

I was just concerned 'cause Jeff seems to have been disconnected from this site lately... Probably just busy. However, I would hate to see the site and everything in it just disappear out of nowhere.

10. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

However, I would hate to see the site and everything in it just disappear out of nowhere.

Personally, I can't see that happening. the various arms of
    VF.com have been running pretty smoothly, I think. Ice being
    busy doesn't change what he wanted (or wants) to do. I think
    that as long as there is interest in it this site will be up.

GE

11. Mr. Bungle

it happened to thovf...

--

12. Chanchai

exactly... unfortunately...

13. clopin

clopin Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Post Polls - although I might turn this off since I find polls, in general, to be ugly and a waste of time. If you think otherwise, I want
    to hear why. I want this place to be a discussion forum, not a voting booth.
    Enhanced private messages - allows for copies of private messages and read receipts.
    Address book - add users that you converse with often to your address book.
    User controlled style sheets - more control on the look and feel in the forums.
    Member list - browse through all registered users, with various sorting options.
    Time offset - choose a time offset which more accurately reflects your local time, rather than that of the server.

<hr></blockquote>

before you start work on these, i'll give my two cents. imo, the only ones worth spending time on is User controlled style sheets, and Time offset. i dunno if the rest is even worth the effort. although polls can be useful for democratic change (e.g., when do you prefer MB2?, which site redesign do you prefer?, etc), many times they are just a waste of time on useless surveys (e.g., which new fighting style do you want to see in vf-x?).

killfiles would be nice. i'd say the more useful than all those listed above.

hey, thanks for the great work, regardless of what you choose to do or not do, if you do anything at all. i know it takes quality time between you and your kang-pae nyun's.

btw, i think the new format on the front page is great, although i hardly check it.

// clopin
    join #vfhome on the EFnet IRC network

14. Mr. Bungle

does anyone else think that real, solid info should be added to VF.com? am i alone in the thought that it's really just fucking absurd that VF.com doesn't even have movelists for the characters?

--

15. Chanchai

I think there were plans over the summer (like VP merging with VFDC?), but guess those fell through... However, we could do that. I wouldn't mind the site covering VF1, 2, and 3 as well... Not to restructure everything, but it could be subdivided within the existing areas... As I see it, the site is run by the community now, so why not. Just need someone to take the effort and access to do it/images/icons/smile.gif

16. GodEater

well not to pick at bones but that was pretty much what
    I meant. I mean I never even went to THoVF. Mostly due
    to the fact that I never really had access to the net
    outside of the University until Third year. Chancai is
    correct in the statement that this site is community
    run. With Ice-9 taking care of business outside of this
    site content is up to us. We decide what is needed by
    providing it.

and I agree. A complete movelist is necessary. It does
    seem inane that people coming here looking for movelists
    are sent away to other sites.

GE

17. Chanchai

Yeah, we'll definitely have to fill up the content and all...

The concern about the site was this... I wasn't a part of THoVF, but if I understood correctly, it wasn't being paid for eventually and kaput, the site disappeared without a trace (and unfortunately, I guess it wasn't backed up either)... With Ice's lack of participation, I wasn't saying that it would happen, but it was possible (how much space is this site allowed anyways?! Who runs the server?).

I'm not really expecting bad things to happen, but I wanted to voice my concerns, it's best to be prepared for the worst with hopes for the better/images/icons/smile.gif

In any case, I'm hoping this site reaches its fullest.

-Chanchai

18. Mr. Bungle

>useless surveys (e.g., which new fighting style do you want to see in vf-x?).

but, clopin, don't you want to hear about how much i think space ninjas with huge gravitronic tits should be in VF-X, and why?

--

19. GodEater

I know i do! Bungolio! Spill!!

GE

20. clopin

clopin Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

but, clopin, don't you want to hear about how much i think space ninjas with huge gravitronic tits should be in VF-X, and why?

<hr></blockquote>

no. but i really want to know which game people like better, vf or tekken?, or maybe, who do you think has better players, NA or japan?, or i'm really interested in the vf-x wishlist survey like, what new features would you like to see most in vf-x? a) "interact" with the enviroment by picking up bottles and chairs in the fight, b) love-triangle story between aoi, akira, and kage, c) akira is taken out of the game, or d) do you prefer tylenol or advil?

// clopin
    join #vfhome on the EFnet IRC network